Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Kingsland, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A year and a half ago I drove a 60 between Savannah and St Augustine. I was careful, but not anxious. The 60 can get anywhere in the U.S. - just a little more planning than an 85/90. I really get tired of people commenting that the network needs filling in because of the 60/70s. That isn't true. It may need filling in so that stops can normally be 20 minutes, instead of an hour, but the biggest problem with the 60 is the comments by drivers of an 85.

A year and a half ago I drove a 60 between Savannah and St Augustine. I was careful, but not anxious. The 60 can get anywhere in the U.S. - just a little more planning than an 85/90. I really get tired of people commenting that the network needs filling in because of the 60/70s. That isn't true. It may need filling in so that stops can normally be 20 minutes, instead of an hour, but the biggest problem with the 60 is the comments by drivers of an 85.
Apparently you haven't tried to drive along I-10 from Columbus, TX to Lake Charles, LA or from Baton Rouge, LA to Mobile, AL.

Not to mention traffic. I was coming down from Savannah through St. Augustine and t started to rain shortly after departing. I near about freaked out when it wanted me to double-back to Savannah. Thankfully Btrflyl8e was chatting me and told me not to be concerned and sure enough, I was fine. Having Kingsland opens up possibilities in case of inclement weather.

One time I was caught in a particularly bad thunderstorm from St. Augustine to Savannah. No way I would have made it in a 60 with the amount of range that sucked. I agree with Cyclone. In ideal conditions, sure, you can make it in a 60, but there are situations where you will not be able to. Rain or very cold weather.

Apparently you haven't tried to drive along I-10 from Columbus, TX to Lake Charles, LA or from Baton Rouge, LA to Mobile, AL.

Tesla in general just needs to make supercharging stops between 120-140 miles max like Elon said when they first begun installing superchargers. Of course there are blind spots right now. 120-140 miles decreases charge time at superchargers for all. Bravo on the new location Tesla!

Kingsland Supercharger is now under construction

Stopped by this morning to see if ground had been broken. Found the crew hard at work making good progress installing the conduit. The SC is located at the Kingsland Welcome Center.

1.jpg

The SC will be located behind the Welcome Center at the location of the red rectangle in this view.

2.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo, but shooting into the sun isn't ideal. Here's the crew working on a Saturday morning.

3.jpg

The SC is directly on front of the Hampton Inn and next to the La Quinta with many other hotels nearby. There is a Food Mart next to the chargers and a Cracker Barrel restaurant a few hundred feet away.

4.jpg

Looks great! I was driving up this evening and between my St. Augustine and Savannah stops, I thought to myself that I could have skipped St. Augustine from Port Orange had Kingsland been open and my could would never have needed to hit heavy tapering to comfortably make it to Savannah. Looking forward to this Supercharger for my next Miami trip! -- Written from the Savannah Airport lounge while I get some electrons.

No, you are mistaken.
In addition to the couple of routes that TexasEV noted, there are multiple locations 85 can make, 60 could not.

Atlanta to Charlotte
Shamrock to Tucumcari
Independence to Council Bluffs
Council Bluffs to Worthington, MN
Barstow to Harris Ranch (before Mojave was installed)
San Juan Capistrano (uphill) to Quartzite (before Rancho Cucamonga, Cabazon and Indio were installed)
Ardmore to Weatherford (before OKC was installed)
Beaver, UT to Las Vegas (before St. George was installed)
Independence to St. Charles (before Columbia was installed)

Yes, a 60 is a great car, but without the fill-in locations to Supercharge, it really would have to stop at an RV park or somewhere for a supplemental charge.
If it is a careful drive in an 85, it is simply impossible to accomplish the same route in a 60.

purplewalt ,
Of course you are correct - there are/were a number of Supercharger gaps that a 60 couldn't negotiate (Barstow to Kingman, for instance). However, there were workarounds and I could get to most places I wanted to go in an S60 (note: I picked up my S60 at the factory and drove home when there were just 4 Superchargers in California).

My point was that a number of bloggers seem to think an S60 is somehow inferior because it can only go 200 miles. This is nonsense, and our trip around the U.S. 1.5 years ago kind of proved to us and many other Tesla owners that it was not only possible, but very enjoyable. Of course I would have an S85, if I was able to spend $100,000 on my car, but that wasn't the case when I purchased my S60. I really don't feel left out because of my purchase and I have put more long distance miles on my car (60,000) than many S85 owners.

Not feeling defensive, just irritated that I read so many comments that imply the S60 is, somehow, some kind of inferior car - and wouldn't be considered by a 'real' EV owner. Heck, the Leaf is a great car for city driving purposes, but I wouldn't want to make a long trip with it.

Any ideas on how long it takes from breaking ground to being up and active? Planning a trip in my S60 at the end of November and it would be awesome to have this SC as an option!

A couple (Binghamton, Twin Falls) have recently gone from ground breaking to live in 3 weeks, but more often the installation takes 3-4 weeks and then there is a delay before the site is operational. It is possible that this site will be operational Thanksgiving weekend, but it's not probable.

Plantation Florida was complete on 9/28 but not connected to the grid. It still is not.
So there is no way to predict completion. If a new transformer shows up at the site that would increase the odds of quick completion.
Hopefully locals or folks passing by will keep us updated!

Last edited:
Greenville, from first construction to activation (which still hasn't happened) was over a year. But second construction (they had to give up and move to a new site) has been much faster. I believe something around 3 months or so.

Any ideas on how long it takes from breaking ground to being up and active? Planning a trip in my S60 at the end of November and it would be awesome to have this SC as an option!
if you have a CHAdeMO adapter, Jenkins Nissan in Brunswick, GA is very nice and a good place to stop if you feel you need to. If you don't have the adapter, you can borrow one from Islandbayy

Free CHAdeMO Adapter borrowing is now available! for N.A.

I've made the trip between Savannah and St Augustine many times now, just do the speed limit and pray for no rain! I only used the CHAdeMO once, but it was more for the fun of it!

I totally agree. I drove my 60 down to Spring Training and taking that route last year in both directions. I had no problems making the stretch. Owners of 60s know that we can typically make anything under 160 miles with no problem. I've been driving my 60 since Normal, Il was the closest Supercharger to Atlanta. I even made the trip from Lithonia, GA to Statesboro, GA in the winter. That trip is legitimately 200 miles. Now that was a challenge. St. Augustine to Savannah is child's play compared to that.

By the way, in March 2014, Macon didn't exist. So my trip from Savannah to Lithonia involved two more slower charging stops. Nowadays, I can drive to Augusta for a DCFC charge and easily make the round trip with a 30 min charge in Stateboro.