Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Kingsland, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the airport @ SAV is a pain, you can try the new chargers at the Tanger Outlet Mall "across the street" (other side of 95). They are not SpC's but easier to get in & out of. Did a drive-by just to scope them out.

Even with the "pain" of getting in/out the airport (which I've never experienced), the faster speed of the SpCs would be worth it though. My slowdown with Savanah is I-95 getting into Savannah, nothing about the airport itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I am planning on doing Santee - Savannah - Kingsland...using Kingsland to skip St. Augustine and proceed to Port Orange.

That's the route I took on my last Florida trip and what I'm basically doing (in reverse) next week. The first Florida trip was before Kingsland, so I did St. Augustine. Savannah -> St. Augustine was doable, but wasn't a bit stressful as I went under my usual buffer.

Even with the "pain" of getting in/out the airport (which I've never experienced), the faster speed of the SpCs would be worth it though. My slowdown with Savanah is I-95 getting into Savannah, nothing about the airport itself.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the route I took on my last Florida trip and what I'm basically doing (in reverse) next week. The first Florida trip was before Kingsland, so I did St. Augustine. Savannah -> St. Augustine was doable, but wasn't a bit stressful as I went under my usual buffer.

The airport was painful when I went last year as there is a large manufacturing facility (Gulfstream??) right at the airport and I must have arrived during shift change, took me 15 mins to get to the charger and 20 mins back onto I95 when I was leaving.

The airport was painful when I went last year as there is a large manufacturing facility (Gulfstream??) right at the airport and I must have arrived during shift change, took me 15 mins to get to the charger and 20 mins back onto I95 when I was leaving.

Yes--traffic at certain times around the airport (SAV) can be tough. Shift change @ Gulfstream as well as the next exit north on 95 can be brutal. Now that the new Tanger Outlet is open across 95, it's not any easier.

I've must have just been fortunate the four times I've been there so far. 3 of those had heavy traffic on I-95 getting into Savannah, but none at the airport itself.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Go for it! I had a miss calculation on mileage from Savanna to Kingsland and I undercharged at Savanna and left myself in trouble. There is a Nissan dealer about 35 miles north of Kingsland with always available 240/30, and a Chaedmo charger (if you have the adapter) right off the freeway. If you have an issue, its a great emergency stop. I know from experience.
WP_20151128_16_53_01_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I used that chademo at that Nissan dealership once, before Kingsland. They were super nice, gave us bottled water, told us to come in and hang out in their customer lounge. What a difference from the one in Jax that wouldn't allow us to use theirs (and I had even called ahead first and was told yes)

Today we stopped to charge in Kingsland on our way home. We got in a nice conversation with the lady behind the information desk. She says she was there when Elon Musk flew in by helicopter ( I assume he was a passenger ) ,landed in the field next to the welcome center and visited with folks there. Evidently his primary mission was something to do with Space X but while there expressed how perfect the site was for a Supercharger. She said how excited she was to meet him and how nice he was. Bet that explains the rapid construction of the site!

Since my last visit in February a food truck has set up in the field across from SpC and visitor center. If you are a barbecue fan it's pretty good. An unlisted special is the "50". The guy makes it for the police who can't be serving and protecting with a sandwich, coleslaw,and beans in their lap so he puts all of that in a large drink cup. I enjoyed it.

Yes it's open but it's a busy spot during high traffic travel days, they need to expand this location. Not a bad place and the chargers work well, I get 117 kW when I charge at this location in my Model 3 when below 50%. There is a gas station very close, however you have to cross a busy highway to get to other amenities.

Friday March 29th 2019 approx 2:48 pm.
Pedestal 3B will not start a charging session. Will open my charging door on my S however. 3A worked fine. I wrapped Caution tape around the pedestal. Also sent a email to [email protected] however I dont know if that works anymore.
Unless I am too busy, I find it easiest to call the support number (877-798-3752) on the pedestal when I get back in the car to leave. Since the wait time is expected to be unknown yet lengthy at least you are proceeding to your destination while also waiting for the operator to answer. You might guess I like to multitask.

Reactions: jrreno and MMC-

- - - Updated - - -

On my last trip I did Kingsland then onto Santee skipping Savannah. That saved a considerable amount of time. I have a M3 LR and it wasnt as stressful as I thought.

Reactions: Cyclone