Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Mission Viejo, CA (LIVE Mar 25 2020, 10 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at Mission Viejo Mall today referring a friend for a new Model 3 and ran across this.

Sounded like Electrify America and Tesla from my investigation but I'm not totally sure. I guess we need to see permits to really know what will be installed. Definitely signs of high speed EV charging though.

20190918_142410.jpg
20190918_142430.jpg
20190918_142431.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: emupilot
Ask at the store.

This is a very busy center and the in and out is very congested.

Having said that, it’s a welcomed addition to the Orange County area. I-5 could use another high count SC location in that corridor. San Clemente could use the help.

Last edited:
EA lists the Shops at Mission Viejo as a planned location for them. So if this is chargers, it's likely that at the least they are involved. Who knows with Tesla. They have a pin on Mission Viejo, so it's possible that it might be a joint station. Tesla and EA have done that in a few locations. Unfortunately, MV's permit searching portal sucks for this type of search. So, anyone who wants to waste their time, have fun with that: OnBase Document Search | City of Mission Viejo

Didn't take me too long to find this in the Planning And Transportation Committee Agenda from Sept 9:

S. MINOR MODIFICATION MM2019-475 Petition submitted by Jorge Rosa Jr., with Tesla, to permit the installation of a new Tesla charging station in the existing parking lot at The Shops at Mission Viejo mall, located at 555 Shops Boulevard, in the CR (Commercial Regional) zone. The charging station would include five superchargers and a total of ten charging stations, with related equipment located in, and screened by, an adjacent landscape slope. MM2019-475 is being processed simultaneously with MM2019-476, for an adjacent Electrify America charging station. Application is incomplete. (Application submitted 2/09/19) (Nick Lagura)

T. MINOR MODIFICATION MM2019-476 Petition submitted by Anthony Serpa, agent for Electrify America, to permit the installation of a new charging station within in the existing parking lot at The Shops at Mission Viejo mall, located at 555 Shops Boulevard, in the CR (Commercial Regional) zone. The charging station would include four charging stations, with related equipment located in an adjacent block-wall enclosure with landscape screening. MM2019-476 is being processed simultaneously with MM2019-475, for an adjacent Tesla charging station. (Application submitted 2/09/19) (Nick Lagura)

Didn't take me too long to find this in the Planning And Transportation Committee Agenda from Sept 9:

S. MINOR MODIFICATION MM2019-475 Petition submitted by Jorge Rosa Jr., with Tesla, to permit the installation of a new Tesla charging station in the existing parking lot at The Shops at Mission Viejo mall, located at 555 Shops Boulevard, in the CR (Commercial Regional) zone. The charging station would include five superchargers and a total of ten charging stations, with related equipment located in, and screened by, an adjacent landscape slope. MM2019-475 is being processed simultaneously with MM2019-476, for an adjacent Electrify America charging station. Application is incomplete. (Application submitted 2/09/19) (Nick Lagura)

T. MINOR MODIFICATION MM2019-476 Petition submitted by Anthony Serpa, agent for Electrify America, to permit the installation of a new charging station within in the existing parking lot at The Shops at Mission Viejo mall, located at 555 Shops Boulevard, in the CR (Commercial Regional) zone. The charging station would include four charging stations, with related equipment located in an adjacent block-wall enclosure with landscape screening. MM2019-476 is being processed simultaneously with MM2019-475, for an adjacent Tesla charging station. (Application submitted 2/09/19) (Nick Lagura)

So it looks like there'll be 10 Supercharger stalls and 4 EA stalls.

Why would they make just 10 stalls. This is just gonna be overrun by locals. :( Need like 24-36 stalls, Urban is fine.

Thanks for your research!

They better be enforcing Tesla only parking. This particular part of the Shops at Mission Viejo parking lot is always full right next to the food court. I wish they would have put this in the parking garage next to the two Macy’s locations. At least that garage has empty spaces from time to time. I can’t think of a worse location in this shopping center to put 10 presumably urban SC’s. This is as stupid as the SJC size and location.

10 stalls is better than nothing, but wouldn't it be nice if Tesla released a compact and inexpensive CCS adapter - then you'd be able to overflow into the electrify america stations as well as the EVgo stations already there in the same mall. Interesting that the mall will have both EA and EVgo stations.

Reactions: jowaldo
10 stalls is better than nothing, but wouldn't it be nice if Tesla released a compact and inexpensive CCS adapter - then you'd be able to overflow into the electrify america stations as well as the EVgo stations already there in the same mall. Interesting that the mall will have both EA and EVgo stations.
Tesla has released a CCS adapter in Europe, and has indicated it will be available in North America in the future. There are many threads on TMC about that topic. Here’s one where you may continue that discussion, which is off topic for this thread: Tesla Ccs-chademo Adaptor For S

Reactions: K3Man
Electrify America charging units are being moved in to place, no sign of Tesla equipment yet. Just speculating here but looks like the Tesla chargers will be to the right when standing at the mall and looking towards the chargers. There were some squares painted on the dirt that had been excavated. I got some bad pictures so I won't post them but the Electrify America chargers are making quick progress.

S. MINOR MODIFICATION MM2019-475 Petition submitted by Jorge Rosa Jr., with Tesla, to permit the installation of a new Tesla charging station in the existing parking lot at The Shops at Mission Viejo mall, ... Application is incomplete. (Application submitted 2/09/19) (Nick Lagura)
Minor paperwork update, Tesla's application was approved administratively on 2019-09-12, about a month after EA's application. So, that probably explains why we've only seen EA work on the site so far. From the October meeting packet:
MINOR MODIFICATION MM2019-475 (REVISED)Petition submitted by Jorge Rosa Jr., with Tesla, to permit the installation of a new Tesla charging station in the existing parking lot at The Shops at Mission Viejo mall, located at 555 Shops Boulevard, in the CR (Commercial Regional) zone. The charging station would include five superchargers and a total of ten charging stations, with related equipment located in, and screened by, an adjacent landscape slope. MM2019-476 was approved on 8/15/19 for an adjacent Electrify America charging station. (Application submitted 2/09/19) (Nick Lagura) Item approved administratively on 9/12/19

The construction is done in this area. They've walled off the section where all the pipes were coming out of (not really sure what was put in there), but the parking area is opened again to everybody. The Electrify America stalls are in place & parking is available, but not operating. No sign of superchargers.

The area where the pipes were coming out of is now walled off and looks like it has the transformers inside. There is now construction going on at the hillside behind the EV America chargers. I wonder if they are putting in more equipment there? parking spaces? not quite sure what is going on now. Still more activity though so let's hope it is for Tesla.