Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fantastic. Now do Durango and then we're finally in good shape.
Or Telluride. Or both please!!
I'd rather see Alamosa next, to open up Great Sand Dunes National Park and US 160. Durango is so close to Farmington that it seems less necessary, although expanding capacity in the general area would be better in Durango than Farmington, should that be needed.

Cortez would make a better node on US 160, assuming that Kayenta ever gets built, and it would serve nearby Mesa Verde National Park. Telluride seems unnecessary. For those going to Telluride as a destination from the north, Montrose to Telluride to Montrose would be easy without additional charging, even in winter.

I'd rather see Alamosa next, to open up Great Sand Dunes National Park and US 160. Durango is so close to Farmington that it seems less necessary, although expanding capacity in the general area would be better in Durango than Farmington, should that be needed.

I agree. Alamosa would be much more useful. When coming from north on I-25 and heading west on 160 to Durango, last supercharger is in Colorado Springs. That drive is dicey without either a detour to Salida/Trinidad, or a slow charge in Alamosa/Pagosa Springs.

Reactions: sdoorex
Some pictures of the site this afternoon. The parking lot has been sealed and the cuts to the pavement show where the stalls and equipment will be located.

20201002_171233_20201002233412978.jpg

^ Looking west along the alley.
20201002_171317.jpg

^ Looking south along Uncompahgre Ave.

Public restrooms are located two blocks south at Centennial Plaza, where the Level 2 charge station has been for many years.

Last edited:
Fantastic. Now do Durango and then we're finally in good shape.
I'd rather see Alamosa next...

Cortez would make a better node on US 160, assuming that Kayenta ever gets built...

I would like to see Durango added, but dpgcolorado has a good point in favor of Cortez. For travel on US 160, either would work. Alamosa is needed to complete 160 across southern CO.

When, oh when will we see Kayenta built? Kayenta would help with travel to Blanding and Moab as well as the Four Corners.

I can think of so many places we like to go in SW Colorado that would be much easier to reach if we had Durango and Alamosa.

I would like to see Durango added, but dpgcolorado has a good point in favor of Cortez. For travel on US 160, either would work. Alamosa is needed to complete 160 across southern CO.

When, oh when will we see Kayenta built? Kayenta would help with travel to Blanding and Moab as well as the Four Corners.

I can think of so many places we like to go in SW Colorado that would be much easier to reach if we had Durango and Alamosa.

Drifting off-topic here, but I learned recently that Pagosa Springs has a 2 new 125 kW CCS/CHAdeMO chargers, so that could potentially be quite useful for travel on US-160. Of course, for Teslas that requires either a CHAdeMO adapter (for <50 kW) or a mythical future CCS adapter (here's hoping). PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

• Informative
Reactions: otter
Drifting off-topic here, but I learned recently that Pagosa Springs has a 2 new 125 kW CCS/CHAdeMO chargers, so that could potentially be quite useful for travel on US-160. Of course, for Teslas that requires either a CHAdeMO adapter (for <50 kW) or a mythical future CCS adapter (here's hoping). PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
I just used this charger in Pagosa on the way back to Flagstaff from Keystone, CO. It's in a nice spot and we were able to eat lunch on the patio of a nearby restaurant while we charged to >90%. We went to Keystone the weekend before by going across the Navajo Nation with Blanding as our first charge stop. It's the first time I've done that leg...arrived with 8mi left in the pack of my 85D after preheating the cabin well and then leaving the climate control off for almost the whole ride (and yes, we took the slightly shorter route through Monument Valley). The reverse would be undoable. I just saw on Plugshare that another of these ChargePoint stations opened up in Bluff (we saw it on the way out but it was taped off). That makes the trip from Flagstaff to Blanding much less anxiety-inducing, but the trip back is still not helped a ton, as it's 25mi of downhill to from Blanding (6100') to Bluff (4300') and then 218mi with a big net uphill back to Flagstaff (7000'). Kayenta has been on the "coming soon" map since 2016...ugh.

• Informative
Reactions: otter and Tectonic
Durango really is a must and makes the most sense. As does Pagosa Springs or Alamosa. And Walsenburg.

Ridgeway makes more sense than Telluride at this point but is close to Montrose.

Also need some attention in the Northwest..... something in Craig.
I agree, Craig would be so helpful in getting up to WY or on the roundabout to Steamboat. As a Roaring Fork Valley resident, having access to areas north would be great!

Progress at the Montrose SC today: *two* SMPA (San Miguel Power Assn) cherry pickers working on the power supply.

View attachment 598991
SMPA? Montrose is DMEA territory (and that's the logo on the trucks). The DMEA board has even proposed a new rate for DCFC stations. (The new charging station rate proposed at the August meeting is "$150/month access charge, a $2/kw/month demand component, and an energy rate of $0.17/kWh." Thought that was interesting.)

Last edited:
SMPA? Montrose is DMEA territory (and that's the logo on the trucks). The DMEA board has even proposed a new rate for DCFC stations. (The new charging station rate proposed at the August meeting is "$150/month access charge, a $2/kw/month demand component, and an energy rate of $0.17/kWh." Thought that was interesting.)

At that, I think Tesla would be paying about $1,813/mo for power before the per kWh fee if the station was used at full tilt any time in the month. So then at the current rate of $0.28/kWh to Supercharge, Tesla would need to deliver 16,482 paid kWh per month at this station to have positive revenue on electricity before accounting for construction and maintenance costs.

1. 480V * 1000A * SQRT(3) = 831,384W
  2. 831.5 * 2 = $1663
  3. $1663 + $150 = $1813
  4. $1813 / ($0.28 - $0.17) = 16,481.8 kWh