Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have an update on the weekday (late afternoon) US-50 construction? I am heading from CO Springs to Poncha Springs to Montrose next Monday. How bad is the delay usually? The CO-92 detour looks like it adds 60+ miles and well over an hour of extra drive time. I am a little concerned about range with the cold, elevation, battery degradation, and the extra on-board weight I have.

Anyone have an update on the weekday (late afternoon) US-50 construction? I am heading from CO Springs to Poncha Springs to Montrose next Monday. How bad is the delay usually? The CO-92 detour looks like it adds 60+ miles and well over an hour of extra drive time. I am a little concerned about range with the cold, elevation, battery degradation, and the extra on-board weight I have.
@dgpcolorado

^ Home | US 50 Little Blue Creek Improvements

THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY SCHEDULE:

The road will be open for two-way traffic starting Tuesday, 11/23 at 6:00 PM through Monday, 11/29 at 8:30 AM for the Thanksgiving holiday.
My take on this is that the usual road closure schedule will resume at 8:30 am on Monday.

The distance from Poncha Springs to Montrose via the direct route is 124 miles. The distance from Poncha Springs to Montrose via the detour through Crawford and Hotchkiss is about 180 miles.

The weather forecast for Monday November 29th is clear and sunny, so expect cold but clear, dry roads.

Unless you are heavy on heater use, you should use fewer EPA rated miles than the distance in my (extensive) experience. Why? Because the entire route is at high altitude and that means reduced air density and reduced aerodynamic drag (no, Tesla nav does not factor this into energy use projections). Just take it easy on speed and enjoy the scenery.

You can try to hit that noon construction window, but I would recommend against trying to take the direct route and wait for the window because you will likely be stuck in a long line of slow moving cars. I would just charge extra in Poncha Springs and take the detour route through Crawford. It is up to you.

Please don't try to drive that route at night, especially dawn or twilight, due to the risk of deer on the highway. The problem isn't seeing the deer, it is being blinded by oncoming headlights and NOT seeing the deer! This is deer and elk migration season.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Montrose shows offline right now. Anyone know what‘s up with it? I called Tesla, but all they could do is confirm it is offline.
So, I did drive to this charger since I was in Montrose and would be stuck here at 20% SOC. The charger lights were on, I charged just fine, and got great V3 speeds; EVEN as Tesla charging support told me on the phone minutes earlier that it was offline and I was out of luck.
Since the site still was “offline”, my charging session should be free (I hoped). Nope. Once my charging session finished and my credit card got billed, the station miraculously showed “online” again. Weird.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and dbldwn02
^ Home | US 50 Little Blue Creek Improvements

My take on this is that the usual road closure schedule will resume at 8:30 am on Monday.

The distance from Poncha Springs to Montrose via the direct route is 124 miles. The distance from Poncha Springs to Montrose via the detour through Crawford and Hotchkiss is about 180 miles.

The weather forecast for Monday November 29th is clear and sunny, so expect cold but clear, dry roads.

Unless you are heavy on heater use, you should use fewer EPA rated miles than the distance in my (extensive) experience. Why? Because the entire route is at high altitude and that means reduced air density and reduced aerodynamic drag (no, Tesla nav does not factor this into energy use projections). Just take it easy on speed and enjoy the scenery.

You can try to hit that noon construction window, but I would recommend against trying to take the direct route and wait for the window because you will likely be stuck in a long line of slow moving cars. I would just charge extra in Poncha Springs and take the detour route through Crawford. It is up to you.

Please don't try to drive that route at night, especially dawn or twilight, due to the risk of deer on the highway. The problem isn't seeing the deer, it is being blinded by oncoming headlights and NOT seeing the deer! This is deer and elk migration season.

FWIW.
I did make the Poncha Springs to Montrose drive today (daytime). Charged to 96% in PS, drove about 3-4 over most of the way, took the required detour on CO 92, and arrived in Montrose at 24% SOC. So, on a decently warm day (for December), with little wind, that worked just fine! I think at 20 degrees colder, with a strong West wind, that drive (with the detour), would be really tough to do without going uncomfortably under the speed limit.
The Eastern part of CO 92, up and down the mountain, was a blast to drive! (my wife would disagree though). Hairpin turns, awesome views; reminded me a lot of the drive up to Haleakala summit in Maui. There were a few icy sections, which added to the excitement, but not too many and they were easy to navigate. It would be pretty crazy to do that part of the drive at night though; way too risky. (Thanks for the advice; it was appreciated and helpful.)

^ Yes, that eastern section of CO 92 is scenic and fun to drive!

My car can't make the detour route but most cars have much more range than I do. You can model the energy needs by charging enough to get to Montrose with whatever buffer makes you comfortable, given the conditions, then add about 55 rated miles to that to accommodate the detour. As you likely saw, driving the detour uses fewer rated miles than the actual distance.

The long detour isn't ideal but it beats sitting in line for the construction window or driving all the way to I-70, IMO.

As best I can tell from a thirty mile distance, parsing news reports, the block of 1st Avenue used to access the Superchargers may still be closed. It should still be possible to get to the parking lot through the alley, although I am guessing about that. It appears that power has been restored to the area. The fire department managed to save the block (just across 1st Avenue) and there were no further explosions of gas cylinders, the main concern.

The fire was at the industrial supply (welding materials, among other things) part of the 100 year old company. Four were hospitalized, two good, one fair and one critical condition.

As best I can tell from a thirty mile distance, parsing news reports, the block of 1st Avenue used to access the Superchargers may still be closed. It should still be possible to get to the parking lot through the alley, although I am guessing about that. It appears that power has been restored to the area. The fire department managed to save the block (just across 1st Avenue) and there were no further explosions of gas cylinders, the main concern.

The fire was at the industrial supply (welding materials, among other things) part of the 100 year old company. Four were hospitalized, two good, one fair and one critical condition.
There are entrances to the supercharger lot from both N 1st St. and N Uncompahgre Ave. so I would think the supercharger would be accessible. I see an alley way on Google Maps but I don't recall if you could access the supercharger from there.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
As I guessed, even though the block of 1st Street is closed the Superchargers can be accessed from the alley, from either end.

20220425_183322~2.jpg

20220425_183350~2.jpg

^ The orange cones at the left mark the Uncompahgre Avenue entrance to the alley.

US 50 through Little Blue Creek Canyon is open weekdays to single lane alternating traffic through late Fall. Expect fairly long delays waiting in the queue but at least it is open during the day. Closed nights Monday through Thursday. Fully open on weekends.

Expected to be fully open from late Fall to early Spring.

As always, please check us50info.org when making plans to travel between Montrose and Poncha Springs.

For road conditions on Colorado highways, check the map and cameras at cotrip.org.