Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger — Peru, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't count on it! I saw it on Saturday 6/4/16, still working on it. Was rushed, so didn't take pictures.
If that is a new transformer in subhuman's photo (near the pad for the equipment enclosure) then it's possible that this could happen faster than usual. If that is a pre-existing transformer supplying something else, then the wait will be longer. We'll see....

Looks like any day now! 8-bays total.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was encouraged by Subhuman's pictures, so I visited to see if the Supercharger was active. Well not yet. There is no power on. There are no charging cables on any of the charging stands (see picture, nothing there). Also there are posts in the ground waiting for signage (left side of picture). If the electrician comes sometime in the coming week, it may be ready by next weekend. Perhaps the Peru electrical inspector needs to approve it. Did not see any inspection tags when I walked around everything.

SuperChargerPeru.jpg

Reactions: Mattzilla
As chance would have it, I had to go back to Peru, so I checked the transformer again, and power is on! Hard to see the meter is active in the picture. However, no power for the superchargers yet. Nothing running there. So we are still at either waiting for an inspection or waiting for the Tesla crew to enable it. From the looks of things, I suspect there will be some ICEing here since most of the parking spaces were already taken by the 8 stalls. No signs yet either. I hope they say "Tesla Charging Only".

SuperChargerPeru2.jpg

I visited yesterday 6/18/16. Weird sort of ICEing already... (See photo!) Power is on in the distribution panel (gray box) as well as the transformer (reported earlier). There is a GFI outlet on the distribution panel and it is live. So everything is in place and literally waiting for the switch to be thrown! Hopefully this coming week! The barricades are still up. If they were not, I would have tried to charge, but could tell the chargers themselves were not active. Still no signs either!

If I have a chance (meaning free time), I will drive over mid-week to see if it is finally on!

SuperchargerPeru3.jpg

SuperChargerPeru4.jpg

Reactions: ggnykk
Iowa City is the next logical spot. Feel free to email them to add more "pressure" - [email protected]

To: <me>
May 9, 2016, 11:49 AM
Hello,
Thank you for your email. We are scouting for locations near Iowa City. You can find a map of our expansion plans here. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for moreSuperchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.
We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.
Best regards,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

http://i.imgur.com/DKEGHo2.png
DKEGHo2.png

Reactions: jvonbokel
I did my undergrad in Iowa City 30+ years ago, so I kinda know the town. Noting that Tesla is working with Hy Vee grocery stores in Des Moines and Oakdale, MN, I sent an email to Tesla suggesting they might look into the Hy Vee on Dodge St. in Iowa City which is only about a mile off of I-80. I got this reply from Tesla today:

"We are happy to share that we are targeting a location in Coralville, IA – just to the West of Iowa City. We cannot make guarantees about the opening date of the station but we are doing what we can to open this site as soon as possible.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support for Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team"

I'm assuming they're looking into setting up at the Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville which is right next to an on/off ramp for I-80 and a much better location than I had suggested (including a lot more things to eat & do while charging). I checked the Coralville city website for any mention of Tesla in the minutes of the city council meetings, and in the construction permit reports, but came up empty handed.

Reactions: emupilot
I did my undergrad in Iowa City 30+ years ago, so I kinda know the town. Noting that Tesla is working with Hy Vee grocery stores in Des Moines and Oakdale, MN, I sent an email to Tesla suggesting they might look into the Hy Vee on Dodge St. in Iowa City which is only about a mile off of I-80. I got this reply from Tesla today:

"We are happy to share that we are targeting a location in Coralville, IA – just to the West of Iowa City. We cannot make guarantees about the opening date of the station but we are doing what we can to open this site as soon as possible.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support for Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team"

I'm assuming they're looking into setting up at the Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville which is right next to an on/off ramp for I-80 and a much better location than I had suggested (including a lot more things to eat & do while charging). I checked the Coralville city website for any mention of Tesla in the minutes of the city council meetings, and in the construction permit reports, but came up empty handed.

My guess is it's going to be at the hyvee on the coralville strip. Hyvee seems to be pretty in tune with the opportunities these chargers present to their business...

Reactions: emupilot