TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger — Rolla, MO

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by Cottonwood, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I SO SO need this Supercharger! St. Louis is one of my main distant destinations, and at 220-230 miles from my home at interstate speeds and the rolling Ozark hills, particularly in cold or windy weather, it gets tougher and tougher to make the trip in my ageing Model S with decreasing range. Have already has multiple close calls where I had to drive slow, draft, turn off heat and/or stop to trickle charge on the J1772 in Rolla to make it home.

3. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

A great second-to-last link in an important corridor. Now just need the Joplin I-44/I-49 site to complete a crucial transect.

4. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

That's excellent!

And to people stopping to charge: I strongly recommend swinging by A Slice of Pie for dessert. It's probably too far to walk while charging--so stop by, get a huge hunk of French Silk to go, and eat it while you charge.

Now I've made myself hungry...

• Like x 1
  5. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

There used to be a place called something like 10th street dinner house or something like that. They had awesome food. I especially liked their steak tips.

Glad to see this corridor getting superchargers underway. :)

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

It's close to I-44, but it's also close to US-63, which connects it to Columbia.

7. TNEVol

TNEVol Member

In 1969 I spent one of the coldest most miserable winters building bridges and blowing things up in Ft. Leonard Wood MO. I love having SC even in Rolla but I must say I dont want to return. In all seriousness I am happy for you guys on this thread.

8. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

Completing the I44 leg will cut several hours and a range charge from our Dayton, Oh to ABQ trip. Maybe for our 2017 trip.

9. Tripple_T

Tripple_T Cincinnati Member

I just got back from a 5 month stay at Ft. Leonard Wood where I had to take an ICE because of a lack of charging. I'm going back this weekend and debating if I should take the Tesla or wait until this charger is online. I have a friend with a 14-50 that I will be staying with. Just not sure if it is worth the risk in the cold with rolling hills just yet. My car want's to route through Columbia to get to FLW. Not sure I want to add that much time to my trip. This SC is desperately needed. Jus wish they had put one in St. Robert outside of FLW.

10. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

At about 140 miles from St Charles to FLW, if you have an 85 and a working 14-50 at your destination, that seems to be a no-brainer. I do 200 mile jaunts over the Colorado Mountains in Colorado winters...

Go for it!

11. efusco

I've done the 220+ miles from Nixa, MO to St. Louis innumerable times. I'd say zero risk of not making it if you have a NEMA 14-50. I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

12. Tripple_T

I performed some site recon during my trip this weekend. I ended up taking an ICE for the trip. With the weather, I'm glad I did. There are no signs of construction. The location is viewable from the highway and is easy to get to. These are the two locations that I thought were out of the way and had room to put the chargers. The other side of the building is possible too, but they would need to rework the traffic flow around the building. Hope they move quickly on this one. It would make it much easier for me to justify taking the MS on my regular trips out there.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

13. efusco

Any updates? Anyone checked Bandana's for signs of construction? Summer is close and I need this by this summer if at all possible.

14. Tripple_T

I have not heard of anything, but I will be passing through the area next month. I'll check and send some update photos if someone more local hasn't. It would be awesome if it was online by April 18...

15. Tripple_T

Made a quick loop in the parking lot today. No sign of any work being done.

• Informative x 1
  16. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

That stretch between OK and MO is starting to look awful purty with those 3 blue circles all lined up in a row.

Oh, for the day when there is a similar string of blue circles, and dare we dream, orange construction cones between Tucson and San Antonio.

Also from the Things That Make You Say Hmmmm department, do note that Magoc, Quebec is permit-ed. People in Quebec don't even go to Magoc, Quebec fer Pete's sake. I kid, I kid.

• Funny x 1
  17. efusco

Thanks for checking.

• Like x 1
  18. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I hope they put one around Joplin too. Tulsa to Springfield is kind of a longs stretch and Joplin would give an extra option and support north/south travel on 49 as well.

• Like x 1
  19. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

I didn't know they'd chosen this location. It's not bad, the area isn't highly traveled, and ICEing should be a non-issue.

My parents live in town, I'll see if my father can take pics periodically when construction begins.

• Like x 1
  20. Tripple_T

I'll give it another check on my way out of town in a week and a half. It will be a while before I can make it back though. In fact, I will hope that it's finished before my next trip.