Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rolla, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove by this morning at 8:15, didn't see anyone working, the green transformer is now set on the concrete pad and presumably wired in, the fenced area still needs to be poured, no stalls up yet, I suspect they're waiting for it to dry out a bit, been raining here quite a bit like the rest of Missouri. Will check again in a few days.

David Abrams post this on Facebook today. Shouldn't take long to get the stantions up, but it won't be before this weekend that it's open.

Attachments

• 13886292_10154377034190480_3698751256264872920_n.jpg
    13886292_10154377034190480_3698751256264872920_n.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 109
I have heard that if the car you are sharing a charger with leaves before you do, it's a good idea to disconnect and reconnect. It's said to get you back to the faster charge rate more quickly. In my limited experience, that seems to work. Or maybe it restores anyway, and I just need to be more patient! Any expert opinions out there?
I've seen that phenomenon before, too, but I don't think it's quite doing what you think.

I think that the only thing that disconnecting and reconnecting does is clear/reset the charge rate "counter" which is a rolling (or cumulative) average. So if you don't disconnect and reconnect, your rolling average won't show a dramatic jump since it's still including the data points from the (for example) 15 minutes of slower charging when the shared bay was still in use. Whereas when you disconnect and reconnect after the other Tesla in the shared bay leaves, you dump all those earlier/slower data points and so it immediately SEEMS faster.

As an IT guy, I'd actually be shocked (no pun intended) if the constant supercharger negotiation with the car performed by the software component doesn't immediately ramp up once the load from the 2nd bay is removed from the "inverter stack". So I think it's just a visual artifact of having been connected for a while before the rate goes up when the other guy leaves...since that rate jump will be masked somewhat without dropping the earlier data points. That's my theory, anyway. (But it definitely looks/feels better to instantly see the higher numbers!)

Thanks for the updates everyone. I will be traveling TO Rolla in a couple months, so I definitely need this charger to be up and running consistently. I keep checking to make sure I don't need a backup plan, but it looks like everything will be in place, and tested at least a few times!

I've seen that phenomenon before, too, but I don't think it's quite doing what you think.

I think that the only thing that disconnecting and reconnecting does is clear/reset the charge rate "counter" which is a rolling (or cumulative) average. So if you don't disconnect and reconnect, your rolling average won't show a dramatic jump since it's still including the data points from the (for example) 15 minutes of slower charging when the shared bay was still in use. Whereas when you disconnect and reconnect after the other Tesla in the shared bay leaves, you dump all those earlier/slower data points and so it immediately SEEMS faster.

As an IT guy, I'd actually be shocked (no pun intended) if the constant supercharger negotiation with the car performed by the software component doesn't immediately ramp up once the load from the 2nd bay is removed from the "inverter stack". So I think it's just a visual artifact of having been connected for a while before the rate goes up when the other guy leaves...since that rate jump will be masked somewhat without dropping the earlier data points. That's my theory, anyway. (But it definitely looks/feels better to instantly see the higher numbers!)
I like your theory. My thoughts were along the same line- that the charger and any cars connected to it would be interacting without needing a nudge from ignorant drivers such as myself- but it's good to hear from someone else who can help dispel the illusion. And I liked the pun, too. :)Thanks!

View attachment 189681 Cabinets are installed now on the to-be fenced concrete pad. No fencing or stalls yet.
Great photo! And you caught the transformer sitting on its pad, so very informative! Delivery of the transformer always encouraging, as it means one less significant hurdle. But waiting on supercharger completion is kinda like waiting for a baby...

I like this theory... next time I'm at a Supercharger with somebody else, I'm going to test it by looking at my charge rate on teslalog.com.

View attachment 190373 View attachment 190375 I'm getting my first tesla the end of September and hope this will be ready by then. Here are some pictures of the progress.
Thanks for sharing. It looks like the charging stantions are up (far left of bottom photo), or at least one of them since I can't see any more than the one in the top photo. Still doubting they get that energized before next week. Slow progress.