TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger — Tallahassee, FL

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Cottonwood, Jul 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I heard from a reliable source that Tallahassee should be starting to happen soon. No info on an exact location, but keep your eyes open in the Sunshine State!

This will be a very nice connection on the I-10 route, but it sure has taken a while...

2. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

I realize that you can't elaborate, but thanks for the information.

Larry

3. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Thanks for posting. I most sincerely hope the reliable source is correct. That gap is the last major impediment to easy trip form Florida to Baton Rouge/New Orleans.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Still waiting for Slidell, LA.

5. Cottonwood

I agree completely that Slidell is needed, but the 222 miles from Lake City to DeFuniak Springs is much more of a challenge than the 195 miles from Mobile to Baton Rouge.

Hopefully, Slidell will also get started soon!

6. republic

republic Member

At least all the mileage down there is warm and exceedingly flat. :)

7. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

My limited info is that Slidell is on hold mainly for construction to get further along on the development where the supercharger will be located. I also heard that Tesla learned a lesson last year and will generally concentrate their efforts on the northern chargers during summer and southern chargers during winter.

Having said all that it looks like Slidell is a few months off at best.

Mike

8. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Given what they went through in Syracuse that lesson should be a no brainer!

9. tinpandave

tinpandave Member

its the humidity

10. Larry Chanin

Thanks for the input, but I just want to remind everyone that this is a Florida thread to discuss the planned Talahassee Supercharger Station. So please let's try to stay on topic.

Larry

11. tamman34

tamman34 S19572, X11164

I really could have used this. I started off driving 60 mph. I left with 246 miles and arrived with 10 miles. I took 15 minutes to use the bathroom at the Dollar General Store right off the exit. The time is not 100% accurate. Cant upload pix from this hotel PC. Traveled 224.6 miles, 63.7kWh used, AVG: 284 Wh/mi.

12. Larry Chanin

Thanks for the information and welcome to the Sunshine State.

You mentioned that you started off at 60 mph, did you pretty much maintain that speed? What is the speed limit on I-10 and how fast was the other traffic going?

Thanks.

Larry

13. jcrad

jcrad Member

The speed limit on I-10 is 70 for the majority of the way. Most cars generally drive in the mid to upper 70's. I would imagine that going 60 would be quite uncomfortable...

JC

14. tamman34

tamman34 S19572, X11164

Larry I drove 60mph for the first hour, then increased to 65mph for the 2nd hour. The last hour I was between 70-75mph. I figure 65mph the entire will be fine. I always have my AC at 67. This is also with 2 adults, 2 kids, let say 350 lbs. I also have about 300 lbs. in boxes.

15. S85D

S85D Member

I got my S85D on June 2, 2015, had the windows tinted on the 3rd and took off on a 3,300 mile trip on the 4th from Austin, TX to Jacksonville, FL, Atlanta, GA, Birmingham, AL, and then Memphis, TN. As previous said, the DeFuniak to Lake City, FL is the longest jump on I-10. I was driving 70 mph when I started from DeFuniak and the Nav system said I would have 6% battery left after I got to Lake City. I am a cyclist and know the benefits of drafting so I drafted 18 wheelers most of the way. The Nav system eventually got up to 13% battery left when I arrived in Lake City.

I used Super Chargers all the way to Jacksonville and dropped down to the St. Augustine SC as a side trip. Charged in Jacksonville on my friends dryer outlet to start my drive to Atlanta. Charged at the SC in Atlanta for my trip to Birmingham. Charged at a free level 2 charger in Birmingham since there are no SCs there. I stopped in New Albany MS at the library and charged up enough to make the trip to Memphis. I arrived with about 20 miles left. There are no SCs in Memphis so I charged using my cousin's 50 amp welder receptacle.

To get back to Austin, I took I-55 South and spent the night in Jackson, MS at the Old Capitol Inn. They have a HPWC there for quests. This was a another long jump of approximately 220 miles so I did more drafting. In the morning, I continued South to Baton Rouge and then West on I-10 and NW on highway 71 back into Austin.

The only range anxiety that I had is when during a tropical storm in Houston made it difficult to see the signs, I saw an HOV lane sign and took that exit. Bad news is that I was on the 290 HOV lane which has concrete barriers on both sides for 15 miles going NW. After I got out of the HOV lane, I headed South and got back to I-10 and arrived at the Columbus TX SC with about 20 miles left in the battery.

It will be great when Tesla installs SCs on I-20 from Dallas heading East. This will allow me to get to Memphis, Birmingham, and Atlanta without having to go South to get on I-10.

16. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

I just drove to Dallas from Sarasota. Below is the screen after the trip from Lake City to DeFuniak.
    60 mph all the way. It was after midnight so the speed was not an issue. No rain or wind.
    Charged to the max which is now 251, had 32 miles left on the Rated GOM.

image.jpg

17. Larry Chanin

Thanks again for the heads up.

Based on eye witness reports from one of our local club members I can report that work on the Tallahassee Supercharger Station has recently broken ground.

Tallahassee Supercharger 2.jpg

Tallahassee Supercharger 1.jpg

The location is in the parking lot of the Village Commons Shopping Center in front of Newk's, Village Pizza and Marble Slab Creamery.

1400 Village Square Blvd, Tallahassee.

Tallahassee Supercharger 3.jpg

Village Commons Shopping Center is at the Thomasville Road exit off of I-10.

Tallahassee Supercharger 4.jpg

Larry

18. Cottonwood

You are very welcome!

Great news on this location. Thanks for the pictures!!

This is a very important east-west gap to fill on I-10 from Florida to Texas. When Tallahassee is done, only Siidell, LA will remain for I-10 to be a great Supercharger Highway along the Gulf Coast.

19. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I think I'm the good luck charm... every time I plan a trip, it seems a new SC opens up just in time. I've been thinking about driving to Austin TX so...yw!

Lol

20. Larry Chanin

Yes, I'm sure the owners of 60 and 70 kWh Model Ss are particularly appreciative.

By the way, we are informed that there will be 5 charging stalls.

Larry