TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger — Traverse City, Michigan

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by Joel, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Joel

Joel Active Member

#1 Joel, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
    Meijer
    3955 US-31
    Traverse City, Michigan 49684

If anyone is in the area, please check the status.

2. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

Cool - Confirmed permit approval there?

Any info on Gaylord/Grayling?

3. Joel

Joel Active Member

I entered the wrong address. I'll have the Mods update the original post.

Correct Location is:

Meijer
    3955 US-31
    Traverse City, Michigan 49684

4. RDS

RDS Member

Is it under construction or just approved?

5. Joel

Joel Active Member

I heard it was under way. If anyone is in the area and could verify, it would be greatly appreciated.

6. RDS

RDS Member

I emailed my brother in law to go check it out and sent pictures. We'll see

7. RDS

RDS Member

My brother in law drove through the entire parking lot and found nothing! Will check again in a week.

• Informative x 1
  8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Traverse City, MI

Interstates: None
    US Numbered Highways (<=5 mi): US-31

To: Parry Sound, ON (US-31, MI-72, US-131, MI-42, MI-32, I-75, local, TCH, TCH-69) - 466 miles
    To: Cadillac, MI (US-31, MI-115) - 43.7 miles
    To: Wausau, WI (US-31, MI-72, US-131, MI-42, MI-32, I-75, US-2, MI-35, US-41, WI-S, WI-C, WI-29, US-51) - 449 miles
    To: Hinckley, MN (US-31, MI-72, US-131, MI-42, MI-32, I-75, US-2, WI-70, WI-77, MN-48) - 582 miles
    To: Duluth, MN (US-31, MI-72, US-131, MI-42, MI-32, I-75, US-2, MI-77, MI-28, MI-94, US-41, MI-480, US-41, US-141, MI-28, US-2, US-53, I-535, I-35) - 537 miles

9. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

So what does "I heard it was under way." mean? Right now there is no evidence (presented here anyway) that this supercharger is under construction, or permitted, or even planned. Seems to me like an odd place to put a supercharger. Please elaborate.

10. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

Yes, this confuses me, too. Usually blueshift doesn't flag a site as "construction" without something more definite. Is there information somewhere other than this site?

11. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

It probably has more to do with their partnership with Meijer than with geography.

12. Jim MacInnes

Jim MacInnes Member

#12 Jim MacInnes, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    I am going there tomorrow and will take another look at the Meijer Traverse
    city parking lot. Noticed that someone just put up a construction cone on Supercharge.info. It was not there a couple of days ago.

13. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

Jim, if you recall, in Bay City there were surveyer stakes and utility flags in place about a month before ground breaking. It would be interesting if TC is at that stage yet.

• Like x 1
  14. tomsModelS

tomsModelS Member

@BET: TC is a gateway for western Michigan and Chicago/WI/MN to get to summer and winter vacation spots UP North. From Chicago, a stop in St Joseph gives you enough juice in a 90D or 100D to get to TC, or at least make a quick stop in Cadillac. I can foresee a TC charger will be very popular.

15. turbospecc

turbospecc Member

Great news - hopefully Gaylord isn't far behind!

16. Electric Joe

Electric Joe Member

Has anyone heard rumors about a supercharger going in near the Mackinac Bridge? I suppose the UP itself will be a very low priority since it isn't really part of any highly traveled routes, but having one in St. Ignace or Mackinaw City would be helpful for people traveling to destinations in the UP like Marquette or Sault Ste Marie, both of which could then be within reach of most Model S configurations. When I route from Ann Arbor to Marquette now, the in-car navigation takes me through Wisconsin and the travel time is about double what it would take to drive there in an ICE car.

17. TnTC

TnTC New Member

No ground-breaking in Traverse City yet. I did a lap around the Meijer parking lot tonight. There seems to be a new power line in the back parking lot corner, in between the Meijer store and the Carwash but it's hard to tell at this point exactly where the Supercharger stalls are going to be installed.

18. TnTC

TnTC New Member

Here is a photo of that "new" power line. Does anyone have any insight as what to look for next/first?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  19. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

Without Joel saying what he meant by "I heard it was under way." I don't believe there is any evidence in this thread that there's construction, nor even that a permit is under discussion. Maybe there's evidence somewhere, since @BlueShift typically requires something verifiable.

20. madox008

madox008 Member

I've driven my 85 to Marquette four times from lower Michigan, and would never drive around the lake to do it....starting in 2014 when there was no SC network in MI and I could make it from Maumee to Interlochen on one charge (albeit below the speed limit). From Cadillac to Petoskey, stop at Safford's Bay View Inn for some lunch (and free miles with lunch), after which you can make it to Marquette long as you have about 205 miles and don't drive fast. In summer I usually pick up range keeping it at 55. Ignore the nav warnings - better yet, turn the nav off and enjoy the ride.