Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger 1a vs 1b... discrepancies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please help, from what I understand as long as you can charge in either 1a or 1b and no one else in charging in the other stall you should be good. Today in Culver city, I tried charging at 1a and was getting 180 miles per hour. I decided to move to 1b and started getting 225mph. Why the discrepancy? Next to these was 2a which was empty and someone was charging in 2b next to that. What is the best strategy to maximize charge speed?

Also worth noting : the miles per hour is an average and is really not an accurate way of measuring performance at a supercharger. Change the settings of your car to show % Battery instead of Range (in the Unit & Format tab of Settings, change from Distance to Energy).

Now, the next time you're at a supercharger, you'll have the actual kW power you're getting from the charger.

Also, superchargers are connected in pairs. i.e. 1A and 1B share the same "power supply". 2A and 2B are on a 2nd power supply and so on. Depending on which supercharger you are going, you might have 90kW, 120kW or 135 kW available to both stalls.

Let's say you go to a newer, 135kW location. You get in 1A, you are alone. Depending on the charge level of your car, you could be able to pull up to around 120kW. If someone pulls into 1B, he'll get what's left of the 135kW... (135-120 = 15kW). Your charge level will taper off because you only get 120kW when the battery is almost empty... so at around 50%, you'll charge at around 60kW (can't remember the actual number) and the other guy will be getting 135-60 = 75kW.

If the guy would have used 2A or 2B instead of 1B, he would have charged up to the max power of his car.

If you're good with mental math or feel like using a calculator instead of changing your display mode, just multiply the displayed volts by amps to get the instantaneous wattage.

There are a lot of stories about getting substandard charging speeds from certain stalls. It can just be a minor malfunction or dirty contacts or something like that. If everything is working correctly then it doesn't matter whether you use A or B, but sometimes stuff is broken.