Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fremont, CA - 47400 Kato Rd (not completed, V3 test site Mar 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plenty of reasons to leave it as is... most of the cost is trenching and installing the conduits / getting the power installed. Removing that is not cost effective if there is any possibility of finishing the site in the future. When tesla vacates the site, then he landlord and Tesla get to choose what happens.

For all we know, PG&E said there was power, then a neighbor got more power installed, and suddenly PG&E said “sorry” we don’t have 1.5 megawatts available at this location, unless you pay us too much money. Also remember the Model 3 launch event... 20 superchargers at the back of the tesla factory

According to my recent drone flight there are still 36 supercharger at the back of the factory, and the 18 cabinets would hint they are real. As for Kato, plans change, cheap to keep them and maybe once the office space by the Dumbarton is done they will decide to switch this building back to a charging site.

I know this has been on again, off again for years now, but I really think it should be taken off Supercharge.info at this point. There's genuinely no indication this charger will ever be completed.

it's still there, and it's still half constructed. It was removed off supercharge.info once before but then was re-added. If anything it's useful as a record of how long it has been around.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
I was told by the Owner Advisor that PGE won’t allow more stalls around the Tesla factory. So it’s never going to be complete

I smell a huge pile of BS... With all the heavy commercial and industrial that is in that area I find it nearly impossible to believe PG&E doesn't have the infrastructure to service another supercharging installation. Even still, Tesla could cover the roof of that building with solar and subsidize that with batteries and be able to handle peak load demands without stressing PG&Es network...

No one really knows why that never has been finished, I'm sure there is a reason but lack of PG&E infrastructure capacity seems exceptionally far fetched... Tesla OA's wouldn't know that information anyhow...

Jeff

Ah... Well if that's the case then that certainly changes that idea just a bit... :) Still though, it's a heavy commercial to medium industrial area so I still can't believe PG&Es infrastructure is all tapped out... :)

Jeff
Yeah even without solar tesla can install a massive amount of battery storage that they can charge during the night and discharge during peak times

Reactions: Chuq and sorka