Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fremont, CA - 47400 Kato Rd (not completed, V3 test site Mar 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While you're waiting, perhaps try this "VETG Charging Parking Only" SuperCharger behind the building, if you're part of Vehicle Engineering Test Group:

IMG_7603.JPG

Location in Google is 37.479799, -121.930829.

Fair warning: while taking photo, I stepped on one big cockroach, crushed a mosquito that landed on me, then crushed another miniature cockroach that landed on my arm.

Also curious: this nearly 50 foot long connector from that SuperCharger:

image.jpg

Disconnect label:

IMG_7606.JPG

Last edited:
Hmmm... looks like a prototype gen2 Supercharger to compete with the 800v Porsche charger :cool: Porsche installs first ultra-fast 350 kW EV charging station

While you're waiting, perhaps try this "VETG Charging Parking Only" SuperCharger behind the building, if you're part of Vehicle Engineering Test Group:

View attachment 235957

Location in Google is 37.479799, -121.930829.

Fair warning: while taking photo, I stepped on one big cockroach, crushed a mosquito that landed on me, then crushed another miniature cockroach that landed on my arm.

Also curious: this nearly 50 foot long connector from that SuperCharger:

View attachment 235958

Disconnect label:

View attachment 235959

Last edited:
I have learned from a Tesla Owner Advisor at the San Francisco store that the new Fremont Delivery Center is located at 47623 Fremont Road (deliveries are no longer being done at the factory). There has been some discussion in this thread as to whether or not the location at 47400 Kato Road is a delivery center or not. While it may become one for the Model 3 once production ramps up, as near as I can tell it currently is not a delivery center.

I am starting a new thread in the California forum for the new Fremont Delivery Center at 47623 Fremont Road so it can be discussed separately from the location that this thread is about. See New Fremont Delivery Center at 47623 Fremont Blvd

Last edited:
Fremont-Kato Rd, CA

Interstates: None
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None

Fremont, CA (u): 1.8 miles
Mountain View, CA (I-880,CA-237,US-101): 14.0 miles
Dublin, CA (I-880,CA-262,I-680,I-580): 20.8 miles
Gilroy, CA (I-680,US-101,CA-152): 40.5 miles
Petaluma, CA (I-880,I-580,US-101,CA-116): 73.9 miles

Huh? It's right off 880 and also a small diversion for any long-distance route using 680. Distance from the freeway may be a bit larger than the factory, but likely when this location is online the factory supercharger will close to the public.

Go a little easy on Money. He does a very credible job in outlining distances from Supercharger sites. He volunteers this information for our benefit. He is also from Maine. He might not be all that familiar with every nuanced situation across these United States from his perch in the northeast.

Besides, he may be working off a map that was printed before 1984. In 1984 the Nimitz Freeway was added to the Interstate Highway System. What had been California 17 from Santa Cruz to Oakland from the 30s was truncated at the Interstate 280 junction and was renumbered Interstate 880 from I-280 north to Oakland.

• Funny
Reactions: MarcG
Huh? It's right off 880 and also a small diversion for any long-distance route using 680. Distance from the freeway may be a bit larger than the factory, but likely when this location is online the factory supercharger will close to the public.

I've had multiple people commenting on this. I plan to do different things for future posts:
- I'll write "Along Primary Interstates" which are the only ones I've been listing. Those are the ones that are truly across the country, which is where my focus lies.
- I'll write "Along US Numbered Highways"
- I might add "Along Auxiliary Interstates:". Auxiliary Interstates are (usually) intrastate urban spurs, connectors and loops and in most cases are pretty short. So I've simply ignored them.

"Along" is because I'm interested in how well Tesla is covering the whole of the USA to enable long-distance travel.and for that I ignore Superchargers that require a large diversion.

I've had multiple people commenting on this. I plan to do different things for future posts:
- I'll write "Along Primary Interstates" which are the only ones I've been listing. Those are the ones that are truly across the country, which is where my focus lies.
- I'll write "Along US Numbered Highways"
- I might add "Along Auxiliary Interstates:". Auxiliary Interstates are (usually) intrastate urban spurs, connectors and loops and in most cases are pretty short. So I've simply ignored them.

"Along" is because I'm interested in how well Tesla is covering the whole of the USA to enable long-distance travel.and for that I ignore Superchargers that require a large diversion.

Sorry if I came off a bit abrupt. California is a bit of an oddball in that we have more long-distance 3-digit interstate routes (and state routes) that are important for regional and interregional travel than most states. The state also has a real dearth of US highway system routes, with some major interregional routes served by state highways. Some, such as 99 and 299, used to be US routes, but due to the large size of the state are fully contained within California and so were demoted. So just the shape of the shield doesn't always give a good indication of the importance of the route. But I do agree it's a lot easier than trying to make a more subjective judgement on what routes to include.

that probably means the 12 supercharger stations at factory may no longer be for public use once this spot opens. They need every square inch of available parking for the factory as we all know.
I did my factory tour this morning and the employee I spoke with says the factory superchargers will remain open to the public when Kato Rd opens. (To be taken with a grain of salt.)