Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fremont, CA - 47400 Kato Rd (not completed, V3 test site Mar 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't know for sure. I suspect that new "mega" Supercharger will be for the public and the current Superchargers at the factory will be closed to public access, but I could be wrong.

I requested the mods merge this thread with the existing thread at Supercharger - Fremont #2

Appears there are two mega chargers in the works at the moment.
Tesla is about to open its 2 biggest Supercharger stations yet, 20 stalls each

Tesla is about to open its 2 biggest Supercharger stations yet, 20 stalls each

Me and the Mrs. took a jaunt over there today, and again no change in status.

Could it be that there is a hold up in construction because of the possibility that Tesla has recognized that costs were rising for rear facing chargers versus front facing chargers and they have decided to redesign this location to match what was done at the factory, thus minimizing the potential for damage or repairs needed because of drivers trying to turn into stalls which have the charge ports closer to the entry point of the stall than the rear? Or are they awaiting higher voltage cabling to become available, or for the lounge to be built out, or ???

Or could the hold up simply be because of costs needed to ramp up the gigafactory and model 3 production are redirecting funds from completing this project?

Your thoughts on this are welcome, as this seems to be taking an inordinately long period of time to complete.

Anybody know the longest record for construction of a SC? Fremont #2 just surpassed 325 days...most of the others on www.supercharger.info are averaging about 50 days for construction. One on the east coast is around 110 days, but that is still about one third the time this SC has been under construction.

Anyone care to guess why?
Could be because the customer lounge is not ready yet.
Or maybe TM is trying to cut back on spending and opening this supercharger will increase their electricity bill substantially

View attachment 176924
Currently they have an electric pad pre-concrete.
I'm here now, and nothing has changed since my last visit.

I see Solar City trucks driving in and out of this parking lot in the distance. They probably use it for whatever.

Hmm. I could see this being the new trifecta sales floor for Solar Roof + Energy Storage & Inverters + Model 3. It's got great freeway frontage to I-880 and they could really dazzle everybody here if they line up good products. Here's hoping they can do all that. The pieces of the puzzle certainly are there.

Sounds like there is hope that I can actually get to Mammoth Lakes from the Bay Area by summer of 2017 without having to go from SoCal or Tahoe ...
I live in the same area you do, and right now I could make the drive to Mammoth Lakes in my S85, and you have a bit more range in your 85D than I do. But what does that have to do with the still unopened Fremont #2 Supercharger?

• Funny
Reactions: newtman
As I figure it; they are waiting for Model 3 ramp up (2017) so they can move the Fremont Service center south a couple of miles to Fremont #2 and use the former Service Center site with the manufacturing of M 3.
Also they bulldozed a lot of land just north of the TM factory ( perhaps M3 related also.)
When completed Fremont #2 may have a nice customer's lounge for people getting service AND for travellers as well since there are 20 SuperChargers shells waiting come to fruition.

That new construction is not Tesla related. It's a development with retail and houses.

Attachments

• Fremont Development.jpg
    Fremont Development.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Last edited: