Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aberdeen, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we left Newark DE this afternoon, only 2 of 12 spots were open. Granted, it's a holiday weekend, but my wife is now nervous about having to wait if/when we drive I-95 for Thanksgiving break. (Frankly, I expect slow traffic on the road itself will be a far worse problem.) The point: it seems there will be no shortage of demand for an Aberdeen supercharger, especially during peak times.

When we left Newark DE this afternoon, only 2 of 12 spots were open. Granted, it's a holiday weekend, but my wife is now nervous about having to wait if/when we drive I-95 for Thanksgiving break. (Frankly, I expect slow traffic on the road itself will be a far worse problem.) The point: it seems there will be no shortage of demand for an Aberdeen supercharger, especially during peak times.

With 12 stalls, even if they are all taken they should turn over pretty quickly. It's not like people spend extra time at the Newark food court for fun;)

With 12 stalls, even if they are all taken they should turn over pretty quickly. It's not like people spend extra time at the Newark food court for fun;)
Agreed, turnover should be quick, and I have no desire to spend extra time at that rest stop, but somehow it always takes my family 15+ minutes longer than we actually need for charging.
It's not holiday week ends that are of concern, it' when the M3 comes out in large numbers.
Right -- my wife is worried now for this Thanksgiving, but my worry is the combination of peak holiday travel with a flood of M3 deliveries. If it's released at the end of 2017 as planned, I'd guess east coast deliveries will start ramping up in mid to late 2018. If Tesla doesn't install additional capacity by the end of 2018 in or near Newark, I expect it'll become a big problem (again). Fortunately this thread is discussing one such instance of planned additional capacity. :)

Agreed, turnover should be quick, and I have no desire to spend extra time at that rest stop, but somehow it always takes my family 15+ minutes longer than we actually need for charging.

Right -- my wife is worried now for this Thanksgiving, but my worry is the combination of peak holiday travel with a flood of M3 deliveries. If it's released at the end of 2017 as planned, I'd guess east coast deliveries will start ramping up in mid to late 2018. If Tesla doesn't install additional capacity by the end of 2018 in or near Newark, I expect it'll become a big problem (again). Fortunately this thread is discussing one such instance of planned additional capacity. :)

We're already at the point where the east and west coasts have interlocking chains in many places. What Tesla really needs is demand management - a way to guide you to the open stations and away from the overcrowded ones.

It's been discussed several times before, but by the time the Model 3 is being delivered in meaningful numbers, I expect that Tesla will be doing real time modeling of station utilization and guiding cars to less busy locations through the default navigation routing based on anticipated delays.

Where is it? I've honestly never gone to any of the shops there other than the ridiculously prized "Z - Mart" for some bottled water made from angel tears.
If you walk in through the main entrance, the food court is in front of you at the far end of the building. Walk past Z-Mart, the restrooms, and the entrance labeled Southbound, and then the panini shop is the closest food court shop on your right. I've had a couple decent sandwiches from there.

Edited to add: sorry, I didn't even realize this was the Aberdeen thread when I posted, since so many of the recent posts are about Newark. :) And yeah, my post isn't helping that problem, is it? :)

Last edited: