Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aberdeen, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20160128_133712 - Copy4.jpg
Can't wait to get out there and check it out! Thanks for scouting everyone! A beach trip is definitely needed for us soon anyway.

Hey there neighbor! Still owe you a burger and shake for that garage test fit! We've even managed to get two in there! :eek::p;)

View attachment 207138
We are going over there with the trailer on Christmas day and returning Wednesday. If you are going for a coast trip in that time frame drop by. Our vacation rental, The Coastal Retreat, is 20 miles past Hoquiam and 1 mile past the Ocean Shores turn off. It's on the left corner where the highway makes a sharp right turn on the way towards Moclips.
The best burgers we have ever found are at 'Grizzly's' on the left before the high school as you leave Hoquiam going north. Hand made patties.
BTW, doesn't your X have issues with you parking a Beemer next to it?

Reactions: BerTX
View attachment 207265
We are going over there with the trailer on Christmas day and returning Wednesday. If you are going for a coast trip in that time frame drop by. Our vacation rental, The Coastal Retreat, is 20 miles past Hoquiam and 1 mile past the Ocean Shores turn off. It's on the left corner where the highway makes a sharp right turn on the way towards Moclips.
The best burgers we have ever found are at 'Grizzly's' on the left before the high school as you leave Hoquiam going north. Hand made patties.
BTW, doesn't your X have issues with you parking a Beemer next to it?
It does. No 3's available yet to replace it though!

Looks to me like a reporter that didn't quite do all the digging she needed to do. It looks to me like the power infrastructure for the development was not there, so Tesla paid for that to be installed, to be later reimbursed for that extra expense by the city (since they would have to install it anyway, eventually). They also wanted sufficient sizing of the utility infrastructure to add other, non-Tesla chargers -- certainly more capacity than Tesla needed.

$30,000 would not come close to paying for the Supercharger installation. This reporter needs to do a little more work before slinging whatever she's slinging.

Reactions: BerTX and Nevek
Here's the article in the Aberdeen Daily World. The mayor has fined himself and will pay the city directly. The contract will be nullified and then immediately sent back to the city council for a new vote. It is unlikely that it will be rejected.

Larson fines himself $500 and city will redo Tesla contract | The Daily World

Not reported is that the owner of the local Chevy dealer will be installing a pair of J1772 chargers at the same location. I'll try to keep you informed!

The Aberdeen, WA Supercharger agreement has been unanimously re-affirmed by the Aberdeen City Council. Mayor Eric Larson left the room as the topic was before the council. Mayor Larson owns less then 1% of Tesla stock. As part of the agreement, the city has the right to add charging stations for non-Tesla vehicles. Not mentioned in the article, but Five Star auto will most likely add a J1772 for the vehicles that they sell.

Aberdeen City Council re-affirms Tesla contract | The Daily World

Anyone know what's with the parking lot and all of the cones? Also, half of the stations are coned off; however, the in screen Tesla information shows them all available.
We noticed that last week, too. I think it is two things: 1) the cones are to keep people from parking there to go to local bars and to keep people from cutting across the parking lot to avoid the light. 2) there must have been a problem with the SCs getting blocked by bar parking at night. The cones we're moved (maybe by a Tesla owner?) to block off the dedicated Tesla-only stalls. Notice that the stalls blocked off are the dedicated stalls and the ones that are not blocked are marked for 30 minute general parking. I think the idea is that if a Tesla arrives and the unblocked stalls are ICEd or in use, move the cones and use the dedicated stalls.

Nobody was parked there when we were there on a weekday at noon.

We noticed that last week, too. I think it is two things: 1) the cones are to keep people from parking there to go to local bars and to keep people from cutting across the parking lot to avoid the light. 2) there must have been a problem with the SCs getting blocked by bar parking at night. The cones we're moved (maybe by a Tesla owner?) to block off the dedicated Tesla-only stalls. Notice that the stalls blocked off are the dedicated stalls and the ones that are not blocked are marked for 30 minute general parking. I think the idea is that if a Tesla arrives and the unblocked stalls are ICEd or in use, move the cones and use the dedicated stalls.

That makes some sense! I got to use this charger twice on my trip. For the first leg it was just me charging. For the return leg I met a fellow Tesla fan. It was a bit of a hazard having him come and try to maneuver right next to me with all of those darn cones limiting his maneuvering/parking.

That makes some sense! I got to use this charger twice on my trip. For the first leg it was just me charging. For the return leg I met a fellow Tesla fan. It was a bit of a hazard having him come and try to maneuver right next to me with all of those darn cones limiting his maneuvering/parking.
I agree -- it was not easy to maneuver, and I as the only one there.

Here is the only shot I have showing the cones. The one you see right behind the car is a row running parallel to the stalls, then makes a right-angle turn and blocks off the last four stalls. Sorry, it doesn't really show it very well.
20170606_131419.jpg

That would be my guess as well. I have seen cones used to discourage ICEing at other sites. Sometimes the cones are marked with signs or stenciling to make their intent more obvious.

[Side note- feel free to offer me your wisdom and insight: As a matter of etiquette, I have currently decided to use dedicated stalls whenever available, despite mixed feelings about the consequences. Using a "shared use" stall does leave more dedicated stalls open for my fellow chargers, but it also has the effect of blocking an ICE vehicle from legally using that stall when I have a dedicated stall available. I still believe I should offer courtesy if I expect to receive it, unless it's clearly already a hopeless situation. Expecting an ICE vehicle to move within 30 minutes might already be hopeless. N.B. No reference to discourteous partisan politics intended. Originally, anyway. Honest! .........darn, honesty, another old-fashioned notion.]

That would be my guess as well. I have seen cones used to discourage ICEing at other sites. Sometimes the cones are marked with signs or stenciling to make their intent more obvious.

[Side note- feel free to offer me your wisdom and insight: As a matter of etiquette, I have currently decided to use dedicated stalls whenever available, despite mixed feelings about the consequences. Using a "shared use" stall does leave more dedicated stalls open for my fellow chargers, but it also has the effect of blocking an ICE vehicle from legally using that stall when I have a dedicated stall available. I still believe I should offer courtesy if I expect to receive it, unless it's clearly already a hopeless situation. Expecting an ICE vehicle to move within 30 minutes might already be hopeless. N.B. No reference to discourteous partisan politics intended. Originally, anyway. Honest! .........darn, honesty, another old-fashioned notion.]
I guess I hadn't thought much about it. I guess there are so many variables that would influence the decision as to whether to park in a dedicated spot or not.

Location of the SC would influence the choice. If, like you say, it is unlikely that an ICE that parks there would be back in 30 minutes, I might park in the 30 minute spot. Places like a sit-down restaurant or shopping mall, for instance. If the SC is at a travel center or fast food restaurant, maybe the dedicated spot would be better, since they can get their business done in 30 minutes.

Sometimes the design of the SC might influence my decision. Some have back-in stalls as well as back-in stalls. I try to use back-in stalls to leave the pull-in open for those who need them. That might influence me more than worrying about an ICE having a parking spot.

Charging traffic would override my concern for ICE driver convenience. If the only unpaired stall is in either the dedicated or 30 minute stall, I'd use it.

Obviously if there are cones blocking some stalls, and others were open, I'd use the open ones. Obviously, because that's what I did.

I suppose I'd use the dedicated stalls if I knew I was going to be charging for an extended time.

Honestly, I hadn't thought about it much, since it's still fairly rare for me to see other Teslas at Superchargers. We generally travel mid-week, don't visit populated areas, and travel during the day. I don't think the advent of the M3 will change that very much, since they will be even more likely to be Supercharging on weekends and close to cities.

I will say that I like the Superchargers like those at Aberdeen, with all pull-in stalls. I think they are much less likely to be ICEd

Using cones to discourage parking in SC spots is not that unusual.
I first saw this in Springfield, OR where the cones were generic white cones.
More recently, the hotel where the The Dalles, OR SC is located repaved its parking lot.
The parking spot divider lines are painted in green that makes then stand out (probably only during the day).
Also, the dedicated spots were coned off with neon-green cones bearing the letters "TESLA" vertically..