Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger access disabled if no CC on account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I am rooted, I never let Tesla service my car anymore. I haven't paid tesla to do anything in a long time, infact I haven't seen them in so long that the "my account" section is "new" to me.

I, for the first time ever, lost track of time and left my car idling at a charger for a few minutes

upload_2019-12-6_14-18-31.png

Based on the purchase contract and free unlimited supercharging (with very few terms tied to it), I do not believe they have grounds to do this. I'm making this thread to solicit any thoughts or experiences anyone has had with Tesla regarding this message.

It sounds as if you are angry.

Tesla promised you free unlimited supercharging. They did not promise you lifetime free parking in a supercharger spot.

Despite your first paragraph, if you are using superchargers, you are not totally independent of Tesla.

Tesla isn’t going to charge your card unless you occupy a charging spot when not charging. On the other hand if you lose track of time again without a credit card on file, they’ll simply block the car’s ability to use the supercharger system.

They did this to help all of us. There are far more Teslas now than in the past. If non charging cars occupy the chargers, then we cannot charge our cars. At least half of the chargers were occupied or they would not have sent you the message. And then they waived the $3 which seems nice of them. Tesla produced 350,000 cars last year. Would you really want all those people to feel free to park as long as they like in supercharger spots while they aren’t actively charging their cars?

I’d give them credit card number, put this behind you, and enjoy the car. Or you can decide not to, and perpetually be one memory lapse away from losing the ability to supercharge your car. If you are on a trip that could be pretty inconvenient for you. I don’t know how long it would take you to restore your ability to supercharge but if it is on a weekend or the middle of the night, I think you’ll be stuck for a while.

I have free lifetime supercharging. They have my credit card number. It’s cheap insurance.

I’m afraid I have to side with Tesla on this one.

Put one of those prepaid cards with zero dollars available. I don't think they verify anything when adding a card as long as all the fields are legit and not expired

What do you think they’ll do when someone incurs a $5 idle charge and Tesla finds the credit card isn’t valid? Think they’ll just block supercharging?

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce
What do you think they’ll do when someone incurs a $5 idle charge and Tesla finds the credit card isn’t valid? Think they’ll just block supercharging?
No idea. Give it a try and let us know. ;)

I'm sure if you dont pay idle fees that are owed they will just block supercharging. And I recall in a different thread people stating that they can still supercharge without having a credit card on their account but idle fees are a little different.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL

Tesla promised you free unlimited supercharging. They did not promise you lifetime free parking in a supercharger spot.

Despite your first paragraph, if you are using superchargers, you are not totally independent of Tesla.

Tesla isn’t going to charge your card unless you occupy a charging spot when not charging. On the other hand if you lose track of time again without a credit card on file, they’ll simply block the car’s ability to use the supercharger system.

They did this to help all of us. There are far more Teslas now than in the past. If non charging cars occupy the chargers, then we cannot charge our cars. At least half of the chargers were occupied or they would not have sent you the message. And then they waived the $3 which seems nice of them. Tesla produced 350,000 cars last year. Would you really want all those people to feel free to park as long as they like in supercharger spots while they aren’t actively charging their cars?

I’d give them credit card number, put this behind you, and enjoy the car. Or you can decide not to, and perpetually be one memory lapse away from losing the ability to supercharge your car. If you are on a trip that could be pretty inconvenient for you. I don’t know how long it would take you to restore your ability to supercharge but if it is on a weekend or the middle of the night, I think you’ll be stuck for a while.

I have free lifetime supercharging. They have my credit card number. It’s cheap insurance.

And what's to stop someone from just parking there and not plugging in......nothing.

I don't think the OP sounds angry hes just asking for anyone's input regarding this. For all we know he will just put a card on file.

...people can be so sensitive these days.

Reactions: AMPd
This brings up an interesting point. On December 2, 2019 I was charging at the supercharger in Northeast, MD. For most of the time I was there I was the only one charging. The map display in my car said there were 4 of the 10 stalls occupied. There was never more than one other car while I was there. Whatever method they are using to determine occupancy is not very accurate.

Disclaimer: I am rooted, I never let Tesla service my car anymore. I haven't paid tesla to do anything in a long time, infact I haven't seen them in so long that the "my account" section is "new" to me.

I, for the first time ever, lost track of time and left my car idling at a charger for a few minutes

View attachment 485472

Based on the purchase contract and free unlimited supercharging (with very few terms tied to it), I do not believe they have grounds to do this. I'm making this thread to solicit any thoughts or experiences anyone has had with Tesla regarding this message.
I suspect the credit card is there for idle fees. The Supercharging is free and unlimited, but the Notsupercharging isn't.

This brings up an interesting point. On December 2, 2019 I was charging at the supercharger in Northeast, MD. For most of the time I was there I was the only one charging. The map display in my car said there were 4 of the 10 stalls occupied. There was never more than one other car while I was there. Whatever method they are using to determine occupancy is not very accurate.

Some stalls may be non-operational. I was headed to the Kettlemen City Supercharger. It listed half occupied but when I arrived there were only three other cars charging in a 40-stall station. Turns out half the stalls were fenced off for V3 upgrade. Same issue at another Supercharger location where one stall was clearly not working properly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sherlo

While I agree with you on this, I can think of on devil's advocate argument (which possibly doesn't even apply to the OP's car). Elon promised AP would repark the car when done supercharging. Years after this was promised, it would be reasonable to expect it. If the reason I am incurring supercharging idle fees is because the AP feature which I paid for but is not working, then it's Tesla's fault, not mine. Bill Elon. :p

While I agree with you on this, I can think of on devil's advocate argument (which possibly doesn't even apply to the OP's car). Elon promised AP would repark the car when done supercharging. Years after this was promised, it would be reasonable to expect it. If the reason I am incurring supercharging idle fees is because the AP feature which I paid for but is not working, then it's Tesla's fault, not mine. Bill Elon. :p
Of course that means you need the snake to unhook the wand.... :D

• Funny
Reactions: Sherlo

I remember seeing a preliminary snakelike device that was supposed to automatically connect, charge, then disconnect. That would be nice, park near the charger, then if there is a line it might automatically move the charged car out, move yours in, charge, email with the anticipated completion time, then disconnect and move your car to a parking spot.

Practically, I don’t let mine park itself when I’m in it, let alone by itself. I’m sure the vision of the repark after charging will come eventually. I’ll be dead by then I think, and it’ll be a new generation of cars, not the early ones we have today.

I’m happy with what we’ve got. I’m amazed really. When I’m on the Interstate the self driving is close to self driving. It isn’t even close to what is promised but it is so far ahead of what I’ve been driving for the past 50 years that I’m almost giddy.

I think the premature promises are just a fact of life for us. It’s a pity the promises are so optimistic, and I hate that people accept the promises and are disappointed. But as for me, I love my car, and if it just stays exactly as it is, I’ll be satisfied to drive it until the grim reaper yanks me from the driver’s seat.

My credit card isn't on file. I would put it on file if there was reason to, but Tesla will never service my car and up until "idle fees" were introduced there wasn't one. I never agreed to idle fees, and it likely will never be a problem again, I'm pretty tactical with charging and don't use SC's often (this instance i forgot to plug in the night before and the GF needed the car for the day). But technically speaking, the agreement between Tesla and I was free unlimited supercharging. Not "charge you for a parking spot that actually isnt owned by us" (most parking lots are owned by the city, perhaps maybe the business, but i would bet good money--never tesla)"

Definitely not angry, just a guy with one of the OG contracts floating out there wondering why Tesla is changing things out from under me, and if they really will disable access should I not have a card on file with them

Edit: food for thought, they sure aren't charging those who are "ICE"ing the spots in protest.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a preliminary snakelike device that was supposed to automatically connect, charge, then disconnect. That would be nice, park near the charger, then if there is a line it might automatically move the charged car out, move yours in, charge, email with the anticipated completion time, then disconnect and move your car to a parking spot.

Practically, I don’t let mine park itself when I’m in it, let alone by itself. I’m sure the vision of the repark after charging will come eventually. I’ll be dead by then I think, and it’ll be a new generation of cars, not the early ones we have today.

I’m happy with what we’ve got. I’m amazed really. When I’m on the Interstate the self driving is close to self driving. It isn’t even close to what is promised but it is so far ahead of what I’ve been driving for the past 50 years that I’m almost giddy.

I think the premature promises are just a fact of life for us. It’s a pity the promises are so optimistic, and I hate that people accept the promises and are disappointed. But as for me, I love my car, and if it just stays exactly as it is, I’ll be satisfied to drive it until the grim reaper yanks me from the driver’s seat.
I didn't say disappointed, simply that I should not be billed for idle time just because AP feature for which I paid for doesn't work. Same as if the car would refuse to disconnect from a supercharger (won't unlock the handle) and charging you $1 per minute while you're on hold with Tesla to try to figure it out - idle charge caused by a feature not working. ;)

I didn't say disappointed, simply that I should not be billed for idle time just because AP feature for which I paid for doesn't work. Same as if the car would refuse to disconnect from a supercharger (won't unlock the handle) and charging you $1 per minute while you're on hold with Tesla to try to figure it out - idle charge caused by a feature not working. ;)

Did someone actually have to pay $1 a minute for the time Tesla took to resolve a supercharger locked handle, or is this a hypothetical? If it happened, then I agree with you that a mechanical dysfunction should not result in punitive costs.

I disagree that anyone has any right to idle block a charging site simply because his car doesn’t yet unplug itself and park elsewhere on its own. None of our cars do that.

About being disappointed by overly optimistic promises, I was actually thinking of new Tesla buyers unaware of the long history of unrealistic predictions. I think most of the old timers, you and me included, have learned to take all these promises and predictions with a grain of salt.

Did someone actually have to pay $1 a minute for the time Tesla took to resolve a supercharger locked handle, or is this a hypothetical? If it happened, then I agree with you that a mechanical dysfunction should not result in punitive costs.

I disagree that anyone has any right to idle block a charging site simply because his car doesn’t yet unplug itself and park elsewhere on its own. None of our cars do that.

About being disappointed by overly optimistic promises, I was actually thinking of new Tesla buyers unaware of the long history of unrealistic predictions. I think most of the old timers, you and me included, have learned to take all these promises and predictions with a grain of salt.
Tesla got my money for the promises they made, I think after the warranty already expired on the car, it's not unreasonable to expect the paid for features to work, don't you think so? If they can't make it work automatically, pay for humans to do the unplugging since you sold the feature. Are they waiting for the cars to be 10+ years old before they say "too bad you car is dead, still no refund for you for that feature you paid for but never got"?

Didn't you hear, apparently Elon is declaring FSD feature complete by end of this month
Tesla On Track To Release "Feature Complete" Full Self Driving Solution In 2019 | CleanTechnica

Of course, the way Elon is accomplishing feature-complete is not by actually delivering, but instead by redefining what FSD means. Those who paid thousands of dollars for it when it was originally sold, you think they're getting summon across the country, or car driving family and friends around without a driver, or Tesla robo-taxi by end of this year? Of course not, he simply redefined FSD to what he can deliver by end of this year, so he can recognize the deferred revenue and officially tell people "no refund for you".

It's not a matter of broken promises, it's a matter of what Tesla collected millions of dollars for (thousands per customer) and never delivered, as cars age and will eventually die.

Last edited: