Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger access immediately after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my vehicle, I was told that charging/ idle fee would be charged to my Tesla account and billed when the car in service. They will not be automatically charged to your credit card.
This is the case when you don't have a credit card linked to your Tesla account. For charging anyway, not sure how they handle idling fees. They used to charge for idling when you visited service but were waiving the fees for a while.

When I picked up my car, it had been charging on it's own included charger cord. They were doing this to check that everything was charging correctly, including the cord.

They had me plug and unplug my cable as part of the delivery process.

I didn't think this would be included in the delivery process and that's excellent to know. Thank you @Uncle Paul !

Reactions: pmich80
Pretty much as others have said but more succinctly:
  • Call or email and ask to have it charged to 100%
  • When on-site, verify charge and start charging when possible, don't leave without a charge
  • Don't just let the computer tell you where the charger is, know where it is before you leave the house.
    • Is there actually a charger between you and destination?
    • Is the charger working?
    • Don't "trust" a GPS to always give best routing
As a GPS user for many years, GPSs are nice, but I have yet to see one, including Waze that is always right. As just a basic thing, many GPS give you a different route coming vs going. GPSs use algorithms that have biases, many want to get you to an Interstate as soon as possible, not necessarily the best route.

You really don't want to call roadside service on your first trip home!

• Helpful
Reactions: 1Step2NoGas
Pretty much as others have said but more succinctly:
  • Call or email and ask to have it charged to 100%
  • When on-site, verify charge and start charging when possible, don't leave without a charge
  • Don't just let the computer tell you where the charger is, know where it is before you leave the house.
    • Is there actually a charger between you and destination?
    • Is the charger working?
    • Don't "trust" a GPS to always give best routing
As a GPS user for many years, GPSs are nice, but I have yet to see one, including Waze that is always right. As just a basic thing, many GPS give you a different route coming vs going. GPSs use algorithms that have biases, many want to get you to an Interstate as soon as possible, not necessarily the best route.

You really don't want to call roadside service on your first trip home!

Thanks @ewoodrick for the advice; all excellent points. I've just gathered the addresses of all the superchargers along the way as well as distances between them to be able to do some "quick math" as needed in case some detours/alternates are a better bet.

In terms of "charger working", will a call to the roadside assistance number result in a yes/no answer? When calling, how do I identify the supercharger that I have a question about? Would I give the street address or the name of the supercharger or both?

As a side question, in terms of GPS biases, do you think that double-checking the Tesla gps with Google Maps &/or Apple Maps would be a good approach? If there's discrepancy, I can choose one or the other... just wondering based on the approach of measuring the same distance using two different instruments.

Thanks @ewoodrick for the advice; all excellent points. I've just gathered the addresses of all the superchargers along the way as well as distances between them to be able to do some "quick math" as needed in case some detours/alternates are a better bet.

In terms of "charger working", will a call to the roadside assistance number result in a yes/no answer? When calling, how do I identify the supercharger that I have a question about? Would I give the street address or the name of the supercharger or both?

As a side question, in terms of GPS biases, do you think that double-checking the Tesla gps with Google Maps &/or Apple Maps would be a good approach? If there's discrepancy, I can choose one or the other... just wondering based on the approach of measuring the same distance using two different instruments.

Yikes you are seriously overthinking this.... You have 500km of range so 50m of range difference between the Tesla GPS vs. Google Maps is meaningless.

Get in your car, drive, stop in Pickering where there are 20 chargers available. You do not need to call anyone to ask if stall 4 has power before hand. There are 20, just drive and have fun! If you are super paranoid stop again in Kingston for another top up.

I feel you are way too stressed out. Good thing you didn't get a Nissan Leaf prior to 2016 lol. 130km of range would blow your mind up!

Yikes you are seriously overthinking this.... You have 500km of range so 50m of range difference between the Tesla GPS vs. Google Maps is meaningless.

Get in your car, drive, stop in Pickering where there are 20 chargers available. You do not need to call anyone to ask if stall 4 has power before hand. There are 20, just drive and have fun! If you are super paranoid stop again in Kingston for another top up.

I feel you are way too stressed out. Good thing you didn't get a Nissan Leaf prior to 2016 lol. 130km of range would blow your mind up!
Agree but up to a point. Model 3 range is 499 kms. Pickering to Orleans is about 428 kms. Using AC and other stuff will deplete your reserve. My suggestion: short charge in Pickering then off to Kingston (227 kms,) for top-up charge and relaxed dinner.

Been there, done that! Had way too many pucker moments with the 2013 Leaf! At least it had the chademo connection but still.

Me too. Was with 2015 Leaf

Reactions: ebatmobile
This may not be applicable in my situation. Many people are picking up their Model 3s at the International Centre in Toronto and as far as I know, there is no supercharger handy there for cars to be charged to a pre-determined level prior to pickup. As far as I know, there will be hundreds of cars delivered there.

Someone posted a picture of temporarily installed Superchargers at the International Centre.

Many Model 3's parked at the International Centre (Pics)

Thanks for the course correction @ebatmobile. And coincidentally we do have a Nissan Leaf... :) So, yes, I need to change my mindset when it comes to supercharging vs public CHAdeMO charging in terms of availability and reliability. It will be a refreshing change not to locate the appropriate RFID card, activate the station, have it fail, retry...