Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger-Adelaide (SA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adelaide is now on the Tesla supercharger map, not sure if this is a placeholder or the actual location?
34°55'39.8"S 138°35'45.4"E

Find Us | Tesla Australia

Amazing what happens when the CEO is coming to town 3 times in one year! ;) TAS could be the only state without a supercharger by the end of the month.

IMG_0356.jpg

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: bradjc and Chuq
Well where the pin is is a bus depo so it doesn't seem like a place that'd be accomodating to a Supercharger station... but the roof is chock full of solar panels. I'm also impressed to see Adelaide is now in 3d in Google maps :) I so love 3d maps.

Adelaide_Supercharger_Pin.JPG

edit: actually above the depot seems to be a car park, so probably just perfect for a Supercharger location.

Reactions: Chuq
GOT IT!

No mention of Tesla, but eight stations, in the building right next to Tesla's dot ...

City of Adelaide - Application No. DA/528/2017

yP9qUwM.png

Edit - Street View of building - Google Maps

Edit 2 - I've just emailed City of Adelaide to find out.

Edit 3 - it's the only DA in the 'Adelaide 5000' postcode mentioning electric vehicle charging (checked back as far as July).

Last edited:
The parking could also just be for more goget cars

Electric share car - take it for a spin!

BenT any chance you could go past?
Apologies in advance as it was a dark wet night and there is not much lighting. It's not a particularly attractive area just West of the interstate bus station. IMG_3758.PNG The Joinery is a bit of a modern day hippy hangout with a building that looks like it is used by a variety of environmental groups. IMG_3768.JPG It has an open area just to the West which is covered in garden boxes. Next to this on Franklin St there is a single off street parking spot with charger and a Mitsubishi electric SUV. IMG_3761.JPG A sign advertises an electric car sharing service IMG_3760.JPG and on the street there is a dedicated electric car parking spot with no charger. IMG_3764.JPG At the rear of the building off Tennant Court there is an area for parking which could accommodate 8 Supercharger spots. IMG_3771.PNG I think it is possible that this could host the Tesla Supercharger but as Baillies points out it could be an expansion of the current car share business. (More to come in next post).

Reactions: baillies and Chuq
Great work Ben! I guess as this is internal there was no council approval needed just Electricity which I would think the site already has lots of...

Superchargers at a long distance bus depot... maybe the 'something more' for the Tesla Semi announcement is long distance buses too??? I wonder if they will make them or just provide the drive train or both? I imagine for SA the bus would be built locally with a Tesla drivetrain.

Would be great for Tesla (Elon) to take a bus from IAC to hornsdale for the battery announcement. I am sure Mr Weatherill would love to announce that the SA government will be switching to Electric cars and busses in the next 5 years or so with 100% local SA renewable power generation!

NOT! :(

From Adelaide City Council:
Development Application No. DA/528/2017 is part of the City's commitment to install 40 electric charging stations and will be accompanied by eleven 22kW charger units in the Adelaide Central Market.

Thank you for your inquiry.

I think the 109 Franklin St location as photographed by @BenT here is the current leader.

Great find @BenT ! I'm *this* close to calling it...

So we have
(a) The fact that it is next door to where the dot is
(b) The fact that there is excavation/conduit similar to Tesla SCs

Is the conduit in an arrangement that would suit a SC (ie. a bunch of stalls lined up)?

Do we know who owns the land?

So we have

Is the conduit in an arrangement that would suit a SC (ie. a bunch of stalls lined up)?

The land appears to be the bus parking area for the Adelaide city bus station so whoever owns the city bus station likely owns this. There is plenty of space aside from this area for busses so it could easily be given over to SC. The trench and conduit at the moment are a very early stage so hard to say if it will align with SC stalls. The way it is set up you could probably have stalls set up as drive thru to avoid having to back in, which would be nice.
Adjacent is the Joinery, which is a hub for various environmentalist groups with a cafe and across the road is a wine bar so options for a refreshment while charging.

So we have

"Great find @BenT I'm this close to calling it..."

Chuq, your becoming the Antony Green of Tesla Superchargers!

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq
Had another look at my snaps. This could be a concrete footing for the transformer and conduit channel for the Supercharger stations. On the other hand they could be building a new toilet block.
IMG_3792.JPG

Also worth noting that the bus station roof has a 70 megawatt hr/ year solar pv panel system which is used to power a solar bus and possibly the building. Could this power a Supercharger?
https://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/assets/acc/Environment/energy/docs/tindo_fact_sheet.pdf