TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger-Adelaide (SA)

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by baillies, Sep 6, 2017.

1. baillies

baillies Member

Adelaide is now on the Tesla supercharger map, not sure if this is a placeholder or the actual location?
    34°55'39.8"S 138°35'45.4"E

Find Us | Tesla Australia

Amazing what happens when the CEO is coming to town 3 times in one year! ;) TAS could be the only state without a supercharger by the end of the month.

IMG_0356.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Coming Soon is just a placeholder in the middle of the named city/town/place.

Given Clare, SA not a surprise.

3. lennier

lennier Member

Not always, the markers for the 'Coming Soon' superchargers at Euroa, Keith and Horsham at least are all accurate locations.

4. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

This made me sad, but then I realised it was going to be the case by the end of the year anyway :-/

What is the building marked on the Adelaide map above? Looks like a car park - could be correct? Where are our local Adelaideans at? @mhh ? @BenT ?

• Like x 1
  5. srwx

srwx "perf_config": "P1"

Well where the pin is is a bus depo so it doesn't seem like a place that'd be accomodating to a Supercharger station... but the roof is chock full of solar panels. I'm also impressed to see Adelaide is now in 3d in Google maps :) I so love 3d maps.

Adelaide_Supercharger_Pin.JPG

edit: actually above the depot seems to be a car park, so probably just perfect for a Supercharger location.

• Like x 1
  6. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

#6 Chuq, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    GOT IT!

No mention of Tesla, but eight stations, in the building right next to Tesla's dot ...

City of Adelaide - Application No. DA/528/2017

[​IMG]

Edit - Street View of building - Google Maps

Edit 2 - I've just emailed City of Adelaide to find out.

Edit 3 - it's the only DA in the 'Adelaide 5000' postcode mentioning electric vehicle charging (checked back as far as July).

• Like x 3
  7. baillies

baillies Member

#7 baillies, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    I thought they would put a service centre as they had advertised a few SA jobs, at least the Joinery looks interesting and Tesla could be a good fit.

About the Joinery

Edit: spoke too soon, maybe it is a service centre at 145 Franklin street although this ad from street view maybe out of date?

IMG_0358.jpg

8. BenT

BenT Member

So what are the thoughts about a Tesla store on this site as well?

IMG_3758.PNG IMG_3759.PNG

9. baillies

baillies Member

10. BenT

BenT Member

Apologies in advance as it was a dark wet night and there is not much lighting. It's not a particularly attractive area just West of the interstate bus station. IMG_3758.PNG The Joinery is a bit of a modern day hippy hangout with a building that looks like it is used by a variety of environmental groups. IMG_3768.JPG It has an open area just to the West which is covered in garden boxes. Next to this on Franklin St there is a single off street parking spot with charger and a Mitsubishi electric SUV. IMG_3761.JPG A sign advertises an electric car sharing service IMG_3760.JPG and on the street there is a dedicated electric car parking spot with no charger. IMG_3764.JPG At the rear of the building off Tennant Court there is an area for parking which could accommodate 8 Supercharger spots. IMG_3771.PNG I think it is possible that this could host the Tesla Supercharger but as Baillies points out it could be an expansion of the current car share business. (More to come in next post).

• Like x 2
  11. BenT

BenT Member

There is also a building site of sorts on the current Bus Depot site in the paved area just East of The Joinery (about where 109 is on the Google Maps image and behind the steel barrier on the street view image). IMG_3769.PNG IMG_3770.PNG This has all been dug up and is surrounded by temporary fencing. This is another possible Supercharger site. IMG_3766.JPG IMG_3767.JPG

• Like x 3
  12. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Moderators note.
    Thread made Sticky as its a confirmed location on Tesla web site.

13. baillies

baillies Member

Great work Ben! I guess as this is internal there was no council approval needed just Electricity which I would think the site already has lots of...

Superchargers at a long distance bus depot... maybe the 'something more' for the Tesla Semi announcement is long distance buses too??? I wonder if they will make them or just provide the drive train or both? I imagine for SA the bus would be built locally with a Tesla drivetrain.

Would be great for Tesla (Elon) to take a bus from IAC to hornsdale for the battery announcement. I am sure Mr Weatherill would love to announce that the SA government will be switching to Electric cars and busses in the next 5 years or so with 100% local SA renewable power generation!

14. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

NOT! :(

From Adelaide City Council:
    I think the 109 Franklin St location as photographed by @BenT here is the current leader.

15. BenT

BenT Member

So I think today's visit adds weight to theory that the Adelaide Supercharger will be at 109 Franklin St Adelaide. Works at the moment include trenching with large orange conduit which look similar to those in Eaton. IMG_3782.JPG IMG_3784.JPG IMG_3786.JPG

• Like x 1
  16. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Great find @BenT ! I'm *this* close to calling it...

So we have
    (a) The fact that it is next door to where the dot is
    (b) The fact that there is excavation/conduit similar to Tesla SCs

Is the conduit in an arrangement that would suit a SC (ie. a bunch of stalls lined up)?

Do we know who owns the land?

17. BenT

BenT Member

The land appears to be the bus parking area for the Adelaide city bus station so whoever owns the city bus station likely owns this. There is plenty of space aside from this area for busses so it could easily be given over to SC. The trench and conduit at the moment are a very early stage so hard to say if it will align with SC stalls. The way it is set up you could probably have stalls set up as drive thru to avoid having to back in, which would be nice.
    Adjacent is the Joinery, which is a hub for various environmentalist groups with a cafe and across the road is a wine bar so options for a refreshment while charging.

18. BenT

BenT Member

• Like x 1
  19. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

"Great find @BenT I'm this close to calling it..."

Chuq, your becoming the Antony Green of Tesla Superchargers!

• Funny x 1
  20. BenT

BenT Member

Had another look at my snaps. This could be a concrete footing for the transformer and conduit channel for the Supercharger stations. On the other hand they could be building a new toilet block.
    IMG_3792.JPG
    Also worth noting that the bus station roof has a 70 megawatt hr/ year solar pv panel system which is used to power a solar bus and possibly the building. Could this power a Supercharger?
    https://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/assets/acc/Environment/energy/docs/tindo_fact_sheet.pdf