Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Adelanto, CA (location found, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

A new Supercharger is coming soon to Adelanto, California.

In an article I found from the Business View Magazine, city manager Jessie Flores said that Tesla has expressed an interest in our city with respect to bringing in 16 supercharging stations to one of the local developers that’s going to be breaking ground for a brand new gas station and car wash along 395. The gas station and car wash in question was never actually mentioned in the article, though I don’t think that would be something that is too hard to locate.

I will add this to Supercharge Info once we can settle out the location. (Link to article is below)

Adelanto, California - The logic of moving forward | Business View Magazine

So far, I’ve found two possible locations for this Supercharger. The two locations are:
- A 76 gas station with a Circle K and a “Cactus Market”, with a car wash
- An ARCO gas station, across from city hall, possibly with a car wash

I happen to the think the first option will have the Tesla Superchargers, for several reasons.

1. In the article about the 1st gas station, there is a quote saying this: “The first phase of the Cactus Market will include a gas station with an area for charging electric vehicles, plus a car wash”. (Development on Highway 395 in Adelanto set to start within two months)

2. In the article about the ARCO station, there is no mention of electric vehicle charging, which I think would have been mentioned if there was going to be any EVCS because this article was written as the same news agency as in number 1. There is also the fact that a car wash was being discussed, only as a possibility. To further back that claim up, the article from Business View Magazine (linked above) written on August 9 2019 would suggest that there is definitely a car wash going in. This article (linked below) written on August 29 2019, only suggests that a car wash may be added, this being after an affirmative claim that the Superchargers will be located at a gas station and car wash.
(Site of former Adelanto cardroom to see ARCO ampm by early next year)

So, I’m settled on adding the Supercharge Info pin at the Cactus Market (address should be 12059 Cactus Rd, Adelanto, CA 92301). If I’m wrong, the location can always be changed.

• Helpful
Reactions: gene and Chuq
This will be a great location for people driving to Mammoth from San Diego!

I'm sure that's why they built it.

But, by coincidence it's also on the route from Hawthorne, CA to Electric Avenue, Clark, NV. :p

Adelanto, CA

Along Primary Interstates: I-15
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-395
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: CA-18

I-15

To: Barstow, CA - 36.1 miles
Diversion: 8.2 miles
To: Yermo, CA - 51.7 miles

US-395

To: Inyokern, CA - 84.9 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles
To: Lone Pine, CA - 153.6 miles

On US-395, and, if at the suggested location, a significant diversion, but maybe occasionally useful for people traveling I-15.

Also, it's on CA-18 and maybe (don't know, definitely not Californian) could be of help if any Tesla owners would travel through that way to Big Bear Lake or Joshua Tree.

So far, I’ve found two possible locations for this Supercharger. The two locations are:
- A 76 gas station with a Circle K and a “Cactus Market”, with a car wash
- An ARCO gas station, across from city hall, possibly with a car wash

I happen to the think the first option will have the Tesla Superchargers, for several reasons.

1. In the article about the 1st gas station, there is a quote saying this: “The first phase of the Cactus Market will include a gas station with an area for charging electric vehicles, plus a car wash”. (Development on Highway 395 in Adelanto set to start within two months)

2. In the article about the ARCO station, there is no mention of electric vehicle charging, which I think would have been mentioned if there was going to be any EVCS because this article was written as the same news agency as in number 1. There is also the fact that a car wash was being discussed, only as a possibility. To further back that claim up, the article from Business View Magazine (linked above) written on August 9 2019 would suggest that there is definitely a car wash going in. This article (linked below) written on August 29 2019, only suggests that a car wash may be added, this being after an affirmative claim that the Superchargers will be located at a gas station and car wash.
(Site of former Adelanto cardroom to see ARCO ampm by early next year)

So, I’m settled on adding the Supercharge Info pin at the Cactus Market (address should be 12059 Cactus Rd, Adelanto, CA 92301). If I’m wrong, the location can always be changed.

Here is 12059 Cactus Rd. Just an empty lot. That's US-395 in the background. Across the street on also Cactus is also an empty lot. There is a bingo parlor and corner strip mall caddy corner. There are houses across from the lot (behind where I took the pic). Not a great location IMHO. It's too far off the I-15 to be useful for ppl as it's a good 15 mins to the interstate.

IMG_20200331_171622__01.jpg

IMG_20200331_171331__01.jpg

I also passed by the Arco under construction by chance (was coming back from SoCal logistics airport). No sign of a car wash. It's right by the school district / Town Hall (least o think it's a town hall) and Dollar General. Busy intersection. not a great area. There is no sign of any charging station of any sort.

IMG_20200331_170500__01.jpg

IMG_20200331_170211__01.jpg

I feel a much more ideal location would be near the 15. I see those needing to charge are those who have just come up the 15 North. It's 16% battery use on my M3 LR RWD to get from Cucamonga SuC to just over the Cajon Pass. So if you were below 50% SOC charge down in Cucamonga, you use 16% coming up the Cajon pass you and probably 12-15% to Barstow. In a M3P or MS or MX with a smaller battery you'd use use more SoC coming up through the Cajon Pass. charging in Hesperia would be useful and relieve Cucamonga (ppl will say go charge at Fontana, but many ppl forgo Fontana because it's 72 kW). If you place whatever new SuC near the 15 and 395, it would be useful for both 395 North and 15 North travelers.

Going south doesn't really matter. It takes less than 1 to 5% to come down the hill to Cucamonga.

Almost forgot. Lewis is developing a shopping plaza just a block away on Mojave and US395. . There are signs up without any evidence of construction. Could the article have confused Cactus and Mojave?

IMG_20200331_171830.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP
Thanks for that.

If I read the articles correctly, I recall it saying that there is a development going in at the corner of Cactus Rd and Hwy 395. It seems nothing’s started yet. Not surprised, because one of the news sources has said that this project has been delayed many times. From the article: “Originally approved by the City Council in 2009, the project once included a hotel and retail space, but has been modified to include a medical building, a sit-down/ drive-thru restaurant, a gas station and a car wash at full build out, planning documents show.” This project has been delayed so many times, I didn’t seriously believe that construction would start February last year.

I can confirm that the article did not confuse Cactus and Mojave as it says that the Mojave grounds are reserved for the Adelanto Towne Center, and the SW corner of Cactus and 395 is for the Cactus Market. Maybe Tesla will change its mind if the delays keep coming. Who knows.

Remember that Tesla is also planning a Hesperia location. My guess is that they’ve already selected the location (probably the Target at 12795 Main) which will serve as the connection on the 15 North.

So I've gone by both the location on Cactus Rd and the Arco station across from City building 2 times since my last visit. The most recent coming down from Lone Pine yesterday. The Arco is now fully opened with car wash and no signs of any construction for any charger

At Cactus road, it's still bare dirt. No activity.

About a month ago, I was coming back from Tehachapi and had enroute charge at Mojave to make it home to Cucamonga. Well... Mojave SuC went down and was rerouted through 30 miles of local roads and limped at 55-60 mph, following every slow semi all the way back to Cucamonga trying not to run the AC; arrived home at 8%. Not comfortable and a bit nerve wrecking.

Had Adelanto or Palmdale been open, I could have had a viable diversion.

I seem to think that Kramer junction could use a sizeable charger for CA-58 travelers between Bakersfield and the I-15 in Barstow. The same charger would serve well to relieve Inyokern as it is small with 4 stalls. For Adelanto, a 4 stall V2 or a 5 stall V3 would be sufficient.... If Kramer junction gets built.

Passed by both sites again. Nothing new.

I was going up the 395 and charging at Lone Pine and was speaking to a Model S owner on the way down on a busy labor day. They were charging at LP to avoid Inyokern as the line was 10 deep.

Thinking about it. Inyokern to Cucamonga is 120 miles.
Inyokern to Adelanto is 81 miles. Inyokern to Kramer Junction is 51 miles.

Kramer Junction makes a much better alternative of you skip Inyokern and it also serves CA-58B to I-15/I-40 route Bakersfield -->Mojave --> Barstow.

Tesla has both locations listed on their map for future development, so I wouldn't read the progress at Hesperia as likely eliminating Adelanto, though it might reduce any urgency to get it done. But Tesla generally doesn't seem to work projects that way. They seem to be more of the school that keeps throwing everything against the wall and moves forward on whatever sticks.

For future reference, apparently the official name of the whole development (not just the Supercharger) is apparently "Cactus & 395 Center"; the city's generic list site (not a detailed site-specific Web site) is <Development Activity Report | Adelanto, CA>. The current (4/11/2011) text says,

"The proposed commercial center at the Southwest corner of Cactus Road and Highway 395 is planned to include a service station, a car-wash, retail space, a restaurant with a drive-through, and a Tesla Charging station."

"The project was initially approved in 2008 and is in the last stages of plan check. The site plan is below."

The previously-posted map is also at that site, though at a slightly higher (less blurry) resolution.

I went to the above website. I cannot find any updates. Since 7 months have passed, it would be interesting to see if there are any signs of construction.
I passed by there a month and a half ago. I paid attention to the intersection of 395 and Cactus but didn't remember exactly which corner was the intended site. I didn't see any active development at the time. I think the most I saw was a big sign on one of the corners identifying the plot for future commercial development, but I don't remember whether it was on the SW corner.