Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aiea, HI (6 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned more than 30 ICE in my life and I never owned a gas station. I could not even fill the tank at home.

"With the range of a Tesla, there shouldn't be a need to use these Volta stations if you have firm charging options." You answered your own question. They don't have firm charging options.

You own a Tesla and you criticize or envy other Tesla owners for charging in the wild? Wow !

Something else I’ll point out is that as EV/Teslas become a favorite at rental car companies, yes tourism will return, those renting cars will need charging to tour the island.

BTW in urban areas here on the mainland where land is scarce and building and square footage is high, it’s not uncommon for parking garages to charge a parking fee in addition to what you pay for charging.

I know electricity on the islands is expensive. Not sure how it compares to PG&E here in SF Bay area but if you can do a home charging set up even using the typical dryer outlet or 14-50, apart from being convenient to charge at home it’s still cheaper here to do so at home than using a Supercharger or probably other 3rd party charger. People are silly not to charge at home if they can. We just got solar/PW last year and charge our cars off of that. I assume adding solar is a growing decision for many if people can.

For Tesla owners who are apartment renters/condo owners and visitors renting cars, the islands really do need Tesla chargers of some sort. For island tourists are local hotels adding charging for their guests? Seems to be a lot of SC expansion going on this year across the U.S. so hope you see it too. The Big Island could use it too with so much more distance to cover sightseeing.

Last edited:
I am one of those apartment owners in Honolulu that did not have access to my own charger for years and had to rely on chargers at Ala Moana, Ward and Blaisdell to charge my Tesla. 9 years ago there was very little problem with finding a stall to charge for 4 or more hours. as the years have progressed and the number of EVs on the road has increased it has been near impossible to find an available public charger when I needed one. I have recently installed my own charger but still remember the pain it was to stake out a charger for hours so I could be next.
One of the issues is that public chargers (J1772) take too long to charge and having a supercharger or other high speed charger is necessary to unblock the time log jam. if they install a supercharger at pearl ridge that is great and only the first step to getting an additional chargers in Hawaii. additionally since superchargers are Tesla only, it will not be blocked by J1772 users.

Something else I’ll point out is that as EV/Teslas become a favorite at rental car companies, yes tourism will return, those renting cars will need charging to tour the island.
If Rental companies are offering Teslas, they should install destination chargers at their locations to charge before pickup time..
Anyway, most visitors renting a Tesla will not be driving max range in a short time. If staying at a hotel or resort, those locations would be wise to install overnight charging capability.

Yes, good ideas. Do we think the rental companies won't charge a fee when the car comes back with battery needing charge? So, that's going to cost the renter. Do we think the rental company will let the people come back to charge for a fee or free while rented? I don't know. We know a few hotels have charging stations, but if you are a guest. Not those of us that live here.

Yes, good ideas. Do we think the rental companies won't charge a fee when the car comes back with battery needing charge? So, that's going to cost the renter. Do we think the rental company will let the people come back to charge for a fee or free while rented? I don't know. We know a few hotels have charging stations, but if you are a guest. Not those of us that live here.
True, but rental cars - you're giving them money, just as with the hotels. And the price would certainly be hidden in the Tesla rental charge.... and then they'll ask for extra anyway.

There's a part of me that fears the permit fell into a procedural void where the zoning review passed but someone didn't mark the plan review as "Approved", so now nothing is happening. But this is only speculation. Hopefully there's a less-depressing explanation for the long wait.

Reactions: JBAR and Akikiki