Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aiea, HI (6 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Akikiki That's the rated maximum continuous output of each charging station.
I'd need to see the specification plate of the charging cabinet, which supplies the current to the three charging stations.
That will be the same as normal V3 supercharger cabinets. Tesla just uses their regular hardware on the pallets, there's not special cabinets built just for that purpose.

That will be the same as normal V3 supercharger cabinets. Tesla just uses their regular hardware on the pallets, there's not special cabinets built just for that purpose.
20211225_193318.jpg

The charging cabinet is rated to a Max 288kW combined for all three charging stations.

I haven't been following this forum for a bit, but I saw the supercharger icon on my Tesla on Christmas eve and I squealed like a little girl.

Now, I have 2k free chargers that I got when I got my car. I have no idea if they're still valid or not, haha. $0.44/watt is cheaper than other chargers I've seen, but most expensive Super charger I've seen. I think the closest I saw while on leave on the mainland was $0.38/watt up near the bay area.

$0.44/watt is cheaper than other chargers I've seen, but most expensive Super charger I've seen. I think the closest I saw while on leave on the mainland was $0.38/watt up near the bay area.
There are some locations on the mainland that have Time-of-Use pricing where the peak price is over $0.40/kWh but the off-peak is around $0.20/kWh.

Pedant's FYI -- If you care or are interested in using the terms correctly, watts (W) are a measure of electrical power, it's an instantaneous measure. Watt-hours (Wh) are a volumetric measure of energy, i.e. how much power over how long a time. And kilo- (k) is a prefix meaning 1,000. So, at a V3 supercharger, a Tesla can charge at up to 250 kilowatts (kW) of power. And the battery of a Model 3 may have a total capacity of 75 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy.

There are some locations on the mainland that have Time-of-Use pricing where the peak price is over $0.40/kWh but the off-peak is around $0.20/kWh.

Pedant's FYI -- If you care or are interested in using the terms correctly, watts (W) are a measure of electrical power, it's an instantaneous measure. Watt-hours (Wh) are a volumetric measure of energy, i.e. how much power over how long a time. And kilo- (k) is a prefix meaning 1,000. So, at a V3 supercharger, a Tesla can charge at up to 250 kilowatts (kW) of power. And the battery of a Model 3 may have a total capacity of 75 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy.
Agree. Watts is a rate, which in almost (perhaps all?) other measurements is a "something" per time period. I look at Watts as Wh/h - "Watt hours per hour". That's what keeps me straight. Likewise kW == kWh/h

I'm an electrical engineer and I find it easy to get wrong.

Three stations share one power box. Always full and slow as hell. Around 48kwh. It’s faster to charge at a chademo with the adapter.

This place should have a one way in and one way out. There was a fight yesterday. People waiting in all directions. Someone swooped in and cut another person off.

The drama.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Three stations share one power box. Always full and slow as hell. Around 48kwh. It’s faster to charge at a chademo with the adapter.

This place should have a one way in and one way out. There was a fight yesterday. People waiting in all directions. Someone swooped in and cut another person off.

The drama.
If people just obeyed the arrows in the lanes, it wouldn't be an issue. Just waiting now for mall management to complain to Tesla and then take the Superchargers away over petty charger fights because owners can't be adults. 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: Akikiki

The drama.

Your slow charging speeds are more likely due to the battery not being warm enough for fast charging. For maximum charging speed, the battery pack must be >40°C and at a low state of charge.

Your slow charging speeds are more likely due to the battery not being warm enough for fast charging. For maximum charging speed, the battery pack must be >40°C and at a low state of charge.
Each cabinet of 3 chargers shares power. 1A,1B,1C. it sucks but its better than before, which was nothing. There is a wait during the day, and its displayed on the cars display: short, medium, long wait.

Each cabinet of 3 chargers shares power. 1A,1B,1C. it sucks but its better than before, which was nothing. There is a wait during the day, and its displayed on the cars display: short, medium, long wait.

Aren't 250kW V3 superchargers supposed to never share power?
Generally, all the stalls in a V3 station effectively share one big pool of power.
For this specific station, there's approximately 700kW to be shared between the 6 charging stalls.

350kVA coming in from HECO to each V3 cabinet, for a total of 700kVA to be shared for the station.
Also worth noting that the DC bus between v3 cabinets allows for 575kW of power sharing, so the theoretical max you can get from a V3 cabinet is 350kW + 575kW = 925kW to be delivered to (up to) 4 charging stalls directly connected to the cabinet

Reactions: Big Earl
Generally, all the stalls in a V3 station effectively share one big pool of power.
For this specific station, there's approximately 700kW to be shared between the 6 charging stalls.

350kVA coming in from HECO to each V3 cabinet, for a total of 700kVA to be shared for the station.
Also worth noting that the DC bus between v3 cabinets allows for 575kW of power sharing, so the theoretical max you can get from a V3 cabinet is 350kW + 575kW = 925kW to be delivered to (up to) 4 charging stalls directly connected to the cabinet

Indeed. In addition to all of that, the transformer could also be a limiting factor. If the site is on a 500 kVA transformer, well, you can do the math. So yes, V3 does share power, but in a less impactful way that V2. Solar and/or batteries can also be added to the DC bus to boost performance beyond the grid input.

Reactions: TerranApart
Indeed. In addition to all of that, the transformer could also be a limiting factor. If the site is on a 500 kVA transformer, well, you can do the math. So yes, V3 does share power, but in a less impactful way that V2. Solar and/or batteries can also be added to the DC bus to boost performance beyond the grid input.
Thanks. That makes some sense. I certainly don't mean to criticize the effort behind this charger, but it was "sort of put up/together quickly. This one is located where the Sears (withing 50 feet of the supercharger), was recently closed. There's a possibility that if the store had not closed, there may not have been sufficient power for the supercharger.

Its not the one at that general location that has been in the planning now for two years, (waiting on something). This was installed quickly and with little visibility and notice. So, some of us here are thinking it may be temporary. Bless them for doing anything (finally). And we hope to soon see more/better. Thank you Tesla for doing something - we have been waiting a long time. (We became the last state to get our first supercharger.) With 8,000 Teslas here, it stays buzy.