Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alameda, CA (LIVE 15 Dec 2018, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It begins
image.jpg

-Randy

0E268E37-8153-4B98-B526-2502CCB9F5D4.jpeg

The Mayor arrives:
625D642A-0110-403E-B6EC-D433A0251855.jpeg

The new mayor (as of last night) is the one with the big scissors, she drives a Tesla and works out at a facility in the mall overlooking the chargers.

Ribbon cutting:

IMG_5777.JPG
IMG_5778.JPG

Full ceremony:

Grrrr... tried to point out to the construction representatives that the signage and the space painting don’t match. Spaces painted EV Charging Only also have a sign that says 30 Minute General Parking. All you have to do to fix it is to swap that 30 min. sign with that other unpainted space that has a Tesla Charging Only sign. He couldn’t care. First, he blamed Tesla then he made up some excuse about how people could be in that space using a Chademo adapter. What??? Didn’t believe there wasn't such a thing. That forced me to stop talking to him and leave.

-Randy

Last edited:
KPIX5/CBS had news coverage of the ribbon cutting on their noon news. Right after the lead story of the car fire that happened the day before.

From your photos Randy it looks like the location has good visibility.

Cracked up about the CHAdeMO comment. He's definitely confused what type of adapters work on what systems. Were there L2 chargers installed as well? or does that finally get left up to VW's or ChargePoint's programs to spend the money on them? I know some cities have required installation of both for use with non-Tesla charging. My guess is the city doesn't understand charging and wants to be proactive here (congrats on that).

Last edited:
KPIX5/CBS had news coverage of the ribbon cutting on their noon news.
Were there L2 chargers installed as well?
The KPIX guy must have been the cameraman on the fire yesterday as he knew ALL about it. Cannot find today on their site, but I can find today's story on the fire. Cause if it burns it leads.

There were already many L2 chargers in Alameda, including free from Volta and ChargePoint and even L3 from the power company at their facility, only a nickel over the cost of charging at home. Yet I always see people charging at the GreenLots L3 that costs a LOT more. Guess cause it's in the mall, while the only thing close to the power company is the animal shelter.

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Got my car back from service in Dublin!!

C02C3366-E629-467C-A344-6C9162C023EB.jpeg

Drove straight to the Alameda Supercharger and plugged in for my first local Supercharge. Red light on the charge port. Won’t let me unplug the cord with the button on the cord or the car or the app. But I did get a message to move my car or I will incur idle fees. Hold time for support is 40 minutes. Not my favorite Tesla experience.

They did say they did something to the charge port. Wonder what it was.

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: EVCarGUy
Drove straight to the Alameda Supercharger and plugged in for my first local Supercharge. Red light on the charge port. Won’t let me unplug the cord with the button on the cord or the car or the app. But I did get a message to move my car or I will incur idle fees. Hold time for support is 40 minutes. Not my favorite Tesla experience.
Oh boy. Sorry this happened to you. Did you try the manual release handle behind the lining in the trunk?

Thanks. I didn't wanna pull it from a Supercharger. That's a LOT of voltage. But that worked and I did get home after only about 2 hours on the phone. He says you should call in the morning, don't have issues at night.

We did every reset anyone can think of and I still have charging disabled on my car. I got new insulated pins in my charge port while I was getting the suspension serviced. That may be the issue. Back to Dublin in the AM.

-Randy

Unfortunately the charging pedestal distance from parking space is putting too much strain on the charge port.
I agree it is too tight, even when I am up against the parking stop. I forwarded this info to [email protected]. I mentioned that in the week it has been open I have seen many Tesla people pull up, stop, get out, realize the cord won't reach, get back in, back up to the stop, get out, plug in and start charging.

Hopefully, they will have the stops moved half a foot or so.

-Randy

The cables become very stiff in cold temperatures as well, but fortunately this should rarely be an issue in the Bay Area.

They did the same thing at the Evanston, WY supercharger and I'm curious if they moved them back because at the time I didn't think it would work in the sub-zero temperatures they occasionally get in winter.

Woke up to the red light being off on the charge port. Plugged in at home and it is working again. Even went to the supercharger I was at last night and it charged there too. Not sure what the issue was.

I guess you don't get a receipt when you get your car serviced but they read it off to me and said there was an issue on my unit where the insulated pins needed to be replaced. I have a VIN right around 9000 so other Model 3's like mine will likely get this same work done when they are in for unrelated service. Seems like I should be able to look at it in my account at least. Disappointed.

-Randy

Woke up to the red light being off on the charge port. Plugged in at home and it is working again. Even went to the supercharger I was at last night and it charged there too. Not sure what the issue was.

I guess you don't get a receipt when you get your car serviced but they read it off to me and said there was an issue on my unit where the insulated pins needed to be replaced. I have a VIN right around 9000 so other Model 3's like mine will likely get this same work done when they are in for unrelated service. Seems like I should be able to look at it in my account at least. Disappointed.

-Randy
They should have at least sent you an email with descriptions of the work they did. I usually ask them to print it out for me when I pick up the car, because I am old school like that.