Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 493797 A SC in Alamosa could have really helped this Christmas. Decided to charge for a couple hours at a ChargePoint with stated arrival charge of 8% at the Poncha Springs SC. Ended up needing an 18 mile tow... winter driving in my P85D could take some getting used to!

Ouch, at what % did you call it quits and get a tow truck? Did he just drop you at the Poncha Springs SC?

Started shutting down with 30 miles on display (18 real miles to go!). Temps in the single digits and I’ve never run it that low (only had it for 6 months). Stoked to have so much more range than my LEAF but this event was certainly surprising and frustrating - must be something with the battery calibration. Tow truck pulled me in parallel to Poncha SC and I charged for about 10 minutes at 50kW before 1 mile appeared. 12v had died from running hazards and it took a while for things to come back to life. Good lesson - don’t get off the truck until you know you’re charging. Needless to say - I can’t wait for the Alamosa SC!

Happy New Year, may it be a great year for all!

Started shutting down with 30 miles on display (18 real miles to go!). Temps in the single digits and I’ve never run it that low (only had it for 6 months). Stoked to have so much more range than my LEAF but this event was certainly surprising and frustrating - must be something with the battery calibration. Tow truck pulled me in parallel to Poncha SC and I charged for about 10 minutes at 50kW before 1 mile appeared. 12v had died from running hazards and it took a while for things to come back to life. Good lesson - don’t get off the truck until you know you’re charging. Needless to say - I can’t wait for the Alamosa SC!

Sorry for the trouble. To be clear were you looking at the projected range or rated range (normal battery display).

I *always* go on '30 mile' projected range if I'm going to be close at all and the where is not mild summer.

Related article: https://mytesla.tips/2018/02/24/reducing-tesla-range-anxiety-on-trips-a-practical-approach/

2kG0np2.jpg

I definitely didn’t mean to turn this thread into my winter driving story - I mostly wanted to express my excitement about the prospect of a SC in Alamosa.

Regarding the range expectation, I was viewing the instrument cluster reading - am I reading things wrong? I know in my LEAF it’s not wise to base anything on its readout but I was hoping the Tesla would be a little more faithful. I’ll take a look at the link for more info.

What year and battery is your car? A car shutting down with 18 miles left has an issue. You should have Tesla look at it. Many people had their battery replaced after similar incidents.

Reactions: sdoorex
I do see there is a new CHAdeMO / CCS charger in Walsenburg. Not the same as an Alamosa Supercharger but handy for trips from the Front Range to the Sand Dunes!

My model 3 has lost 11% of its range. It looks like I won't try to make the trip to Poncha Springs from Santa Fe in the winter time again.
<< Shrug>>

Winter can be tricky for lots of destinations, but Alamosa does have L2 charging so it offers a plan B if needed.

Like others, I too am looking forward to a Supercharger along that route. Not to get to Poncha, but to get to that area and return to Albuquerque without having to depend on L2. Actually, it was during a leg from Alamosa back to NM that I reaffirmed just how range sapping a strong headwind could be ;)

By the way, IIRC the CEC has plans to install DCFC in Alamosa. Our future might include some CCS location charging if Tesla comes out with an adapter. It seems at least possible that the CEC plans and Tesla's removal of its SC plans are linked.

Last edited:
By the way, IIRC the CEC has plans to install DCFC in Alamosa. Our future might include some CCS location charging if Tesla comes out with an adapter. It seems at least possible that the CEC plans and Tesla's removal of its SC plans are linked.

Yep, the DCFC (CCS/CHAdeMO) in Alamosa is under construction. Chargers themselves are installed, but based on the recent pic on plugshare, it looks like it's still waiting for some supporting electrical hardware: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Edit: I doubt there's any link between Tesla removing Alamosa from the "coming soon" map and this installation (see examples in Craig and Montrose, CO where superchargers were installed alongside CEO-sponsored DCFCs). I expect Tesla will still build a supercharger in Alamosa...eventually...

Last edited:
This is getting ridiculous. Why can they not build this freaking Alamosa charger? I bought a house in Crestone based off of this Alamosa SC that's been promised for over 5 years. Colorado has way too many charging holes across it. Absurd that Tesla lets these huge gaps in SC coverage remain in the state.
I agree that it would be nice if the holes in coverage could be plugged. I apparently need to make another trip from the Santa Fe area to Gunnison soon. I am debating in whether I should go the long way on I-25 or not.

I don't know which model you have but in my Model 3 LR it would be as easy trip to go Bernalillo -> Farmington -> Montrose
Bernalillo != Santa Fe.

Even he was leaving from Bernalillo, traveling through Farmington would add 2 hours to his trip. Even the detour through Montrose is substantial (he said he was going to Gunnison, not Montrose).

Assuming he has a longer range Tesla with >300 Rated Miles on a full charge, he should just drive carefully to the Poncha Springs supercharger which is only a slight diversion. If it's a shorter range model, he'll have to arrange for alternate charging or make the big detour through Trinidad (still way faster than going through Farmington).