Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I contacted the city of Alamosa concerning the planned Supercharger. They said that there was talk of a Supercharger about a year ago but so far no plans have been submitted and no permits have been issued. It looks like this one might slip to 2018.

alamosa.png

Alamosa! I charged at that storage place (NEMA 14-50) two years ago on our way to Milwaukee. Walked down the street to that cafe/diner for lunch. Picked up about 45 miles during our stop.

I stuck a fin in the mail slot with a sticky thanking them for the juice.

Well, cross your fingers that when they're done with Supercharger - Poncha Springs, CO they'll move the crew over there! But they better get cracking on the permit process....
Yeah. I mentioned that site (and how Tesla often builds nearby chargers at the same time). I was disappointed to find they haven't heard anything in nearly a year. Maybe next year!

ARGH. Really disappointed in Tesla about this one. It originally was supposed to be done when, middle of 2016? I have a trip planned from Denver to NM and then Grand Canyon, that I booked and then cancelled this year and am planning for next year. But I need this supercharger, or else we can't include the Sand Dunes, and honestly I doubt we'll be back in this part of the map in the next decade so we want to fit it in on this trip.

If this isn't operational by the summer I'm really going to be pissed. They're not even trying it seems, given they announced it years ago and haven't even started on permits.

ARGH. Really disappointed in Tesla about this one. It originally was supposed to be done when, middle of 2016? I have a trip planned from Denver to NM and then Grand Canyon, that I booked and then cancelled this year and am planning for next year. But I need this supercharger, or else we can't include the Sand Dunes, and honestly I doubt we'll be back in this part of the map in the next decade so we want to fit it in on this trip.

If this isn't operational by the summer I'm really going to be pissed. They're not even trying it seems, given they announced it years ago and haven't even started on permits.
My recollection is that Alamosa first appeared on the "coming for 2017" map, along with Poncha Springs, Steamboat, and several others. It does seem clear that most of those have been delayed to 2018, save for Poncha Springs (under construction) and Lone Tree II (open).

Even if you can't add Great Sand Dunes NP on your long trip it is an easy out and back weekend trip from your location, using the Poncha Springs Supercharger Station. Or you can make it from Poncha Springs to Great Sand Dunes to the Trinidad Supercharger Station in an S85 and head into NM that way, although it is much longer than going from Alamosa directly to Farmington. If camping, there are plenty of RV parks in the area that would allow a full charge overnight and make the trip to Farmington fairly easy.

Attempted to contact the city of Alamosa (Convention and Visitors Bureau) around 6-9months ago and suggested they reach out to Tesla for supercharging at the train station and/or the visitor's center. There is plenty of room, access to downtown businesses and restaurants, and the visitor center. Seems to me that this is a no-brainer for Alamosa and generally any community with a visitor's center should install such features to encourage their use and tourism in general. Great way to draw us in, intro the community with the downtime, and support local businesses (vs national chains).

Really think the communities should be proactive (e.g. provide space and permits) and not wait for Tesla to design their visitor strategy for them.

I'm going to try again and suggest others do as well.
Contact Us
1-800-BLU-SKYS (800-258-7597)
[email protected]

Reactions: SageBrush
Update: spoke with both the Alamosa visitors center and city manager office today. The story I got was this was on the radar with the city planner then the role changed hands and went to the back burner.
The people I initially spoke with didn't know much about Tesla and Superchargers but reached some folks that expressed enthusiasm in my reaching out and may get some support in rekindling the effort.

If we REALLY want a supercharger in Alamosa we need to reach out and help push things along. For me this represents a comfortable one-stop to Colorado skiing and specific mountain towns and worth a little extra effort. Note: I really want it at the rail yard for future expansion and a quick walk to the main street restaurants.

A. Staff Directory
  • City Manager | Heather Brooks | (719) 589-2593 ex. 9
B. Charging Partners | Tesla to suggest a charging site directly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chuq
Update: spoke with both the Alamosa visitors center and city manager office today. The story I got was this was on the radar with the city planner then the role changed hands and went to the back burner.
The people I initially spoke with didn't know much about Tesla and Superchargers but reached some folks that expressed enthusiasm in my reaching out and may get some support in rekindling the effort.

If we REALLY want a supercharger in Alamosa we need to reach out and help push things along. For me this represents a comfortable one-stop to Colorado skiing and specific mountain towns and worth a little extra effort. Note: I really want it at the rail yard for future expansion and a quick walk to the main street restaurants.

A. Staff Directory
  • City Manager | Heather Brooks | (719) 589-2593 ex. 9
B. Charging Partners | Tesla to suggest a charging site directly.
That sounds similar to what I heard back in November. Hopefully they'll make some progress this year!

Here's a note I sent to [email protected] as well as Mr. Reynolds in Alamosa. (Thanks for the email link above!) Please feel free to suggest anybody else this should be forwarded to. —Phil

To Whom at Tesla it may concern,

We note the proposed Supercharger station in Alamosa but see no firm commitment or timeline. Our recent experience over the Thanksgiving holiday suggests that the location is essential for the safe travel of between southwestern Colorado and northern New Mexico.

Along US-285 Tesla drivers may charge at Poncha Springs, Colorado, and at Santa Fe, New Mexico. The distance between stations is 216 miles which includes climbing Poncha Pass (9.010 ft.) Typically this distance would be easily covered in a long range Model 3. However, with a forecast for very cold temperatures, headwinds and snow we decided to take a route using I-25 instead. A route that is 82 miles farther.

Why? We realized that when using an oft-quoted 25% loss of range due to cold weather our range could be depressed to 232 miles leaving us with a dangerously low 16 mile margin of safety. The additional weather factors listed above combined with needing lights for night driving and a desire to keep the cabin comfortable added up to what could have been a worse case scenario where we could have run out of range and been stranded at the roadside with no services, towns or help nearby and the likelihood of overnighting in sub-freezing conditions.

Very much not a happy holiday.

We note that Tesla is beginning to address winter driving issues with the latest software update to the Model 3. Don’t forget that range and availability of supercharging are also concerns now that winter has arrived in Colorado.

Regards…

Has anyone heard anything on the status of this location? Just shows as 'target opening in 2019' which, as we all know, means nothing. I've got a trip in July for which this would be really helpful. I'm hoping that with the debut of V3, some of these back-burner installations will pick up steam, but I may just be optimistic.

but I may just be optimistic.

Yes, you are thinking with your heart and not your head. :)

If all new installations are being delayed to be able to use the version 3 Supercharging, and Tesla is notorious for having delays drag on interminably, I would be shocked to see any significant installations of version 3 before the fourth quarter. Also for consideration would be Tesla's cash situation. If cash is dropping precipitously, management would likely cut spending on assets to focus on sales.

Urban chargers will likely continue as scheduled. I guess that there will be selected locations that will receive the older 135kW Superchargers as they may infill gaps that are currently along already populated Supercharger routes.

But the trailblazing Superchargers like across Interstate 94 east of Billings and through rural Colorado like Alamosa may be pushed into 2020.

I hope I am wrong!

Reactions: Zaxxon
8ED6DB44-F66D-44CF-94E2-681EB88C696D.jpeg
A SC in Alamosa could have really helped this Christmas. Decided to charge for a couple hours at a ChargePoint with stated arrival charge of 8% at the Poncha Springs SC. Ended up needing an 18 mile tow... winter driving in my P85D could take some getting used to!