Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albany, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this on Plugshare today, apparently it was posted there a week ago. No way for me to verify it’s legit but certainly seem to be, and from the pics on Plugshare it’s pretty far along. Based on that post this is a 12 stall SC located at the Walmart Supercenter in Albany. Another non-interstate travel route thru GA similar to Millen.

@Chuq once you’re satisfied this is legit please add to supercharge dot info

F49F5595-3F1F-4E9A-A16E-401A68041904.png

WOW, though a little strange since it is only about 30 miles from the Tifton SC site. That is a head scratcher. Albany is Small and doubt there are many Teslas in a 50 mile radius. Almost anyone in Albany that would/could buy a Tesla would have at home charging. Or what is the route between? Hope I'm wrong but hard to imagine at this time 12 stalls in use (hell or even 3) in Albany.

Seems that a site in north central/ mountains might be a better use of "Off Interstate" resources since a lot of ATL Tesla drives like to drive to the mountains.

Reactions: micantony
WOW, though a little strange since it is only about 30 miles from the Tifton SC site. That is a head scratcher. Albany is Small and doubt there are many Teslas in a 50 mile radius. Almost anyone in Albany that would/could buy a Tesla would have at home charging. Or what is the route between? Hope I'm wrong but hard to imagine at this time 12 stalls in use (hell or even 3) in Albany.

I think Tesla is no longer following the rule-of-thumb that rural superchargers only go along interstate highway routes. (Look at Eastern North Carolina for numerous examples.)

There are still a lot of "supercharger deserts" in east of the Mississippi, if you consider areas that you might want to cut across that don't have an interstate. This site looks like Tesla starting to fill in one of those "deserts" that's bounded by I-10 on the south, I-65 on the northwest, and I-75 on the northeast. The planned Dothan, AL, supercharger will eat into this barren area from the south, too.

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 7.38.11 AM.png

Seems that a site in north central/ mountains might be a better use of "Off Interstate" resources since a lot of ATL Tesla drives like to drive to the mountains.
Totally agree with your sentiment regarding the mountains. Would love to see a Supercharger in one or more of Elijay, Dahlonega, Helen or Clayton. However, my guess is that sometimes there’s a willing partner and Tesla strikes while the iron is hot. Especially now that EA and some others are challenging Tesla for locations. My hope is that one day there will be Superchargers along some route in every Albany, GA sized town across America. If that’s the case, and the Walmart Albany offered a portion of their parking lot to Tesla now, the move makes perfect sense.

Reactions: jsight
I think Tesla is no longer following the rule-of-thumb that rural superchargers only go along interstate highway routes. (Look at Eastern North Carolina for numerous examples.)

There are still a lot of "supercharger deserts" in east of the Mississippi, if you consider areas that you might want to cut across that don't have an interstate. This site looks like Tesla starting to fill in one of those "deserts" that's bounded by I-10 on the south, I-65 on the northwest, and I-75 on the northeast. The planned Dothan, AL, supercharger will eat into this barren area from the south, too.

View attachment 834963

Considering humidity I'd say "supercharger swamp".

But more seriously, I agree. As well as generally filling in on US Numbered Highways in the east and west, they already have a record of adding Superchargers in non-Interstate locations where the locations "cut the corner". Such as Henrietta, TX, Childress, TX and Clayton, NM for Dallas-Fort Worth, TX to Denver, CO, and Mount Pleasant, IA, Cedar Rapids, IA and Waterloo, IA for St Louis, MO to Minneapolis, MN.

Here, Albany, GA is on the fastest route from many places in Florida to cities like Birmingham, AL, Monygomery, AL, Memphis, TN, Little Rock, AR, Oklahoma City, OK and Wichita, KS,.

Valdosta, GA (v3) to Auburn, AL is 198 miles.
Tifton, GA to Auburn, AL is 159.2 miles and both are v2.
Albany, GA will make it much easier and faster.

• Funny
Reactions: 1speed
There are still a lot of "supercharger deserts" in east of the Mississippi, if you consider areas that you might want to cut across that don't have an interstate. This site looks like Tesla starting to fill in one of those "deserts" that's bounded by I-10 on the south, I-65 on the northwest, and I-75 on the northeast.

Ha, it's funny that you even sketched that out. Many years ago I had a contract job in east of Dothan, and I used to describe the location like this: look at an interstate map, find the biggest hole east of the Mississippi River, and I'm right in the middle of that :)

Like the head-scratcher site in Millen GA, maybe there's a powerful state politician in Albany that Tesla is trying to ingratiate themselves with ...

• Funny
Reactions: vanjwilson
Ha, it's funny that you even sketched that out. Many years ago I had a contract job in east of Dothan, and I used to describe the location like this: look at an interstate map, find the biggest hole east of the Mississippi River, and I'm right in the middle of that :)

Like the head-scratcher site in Millen GA, maybe there's a powerful state politician in Albany that Tesla is trying to ingratiate themselves with ...

Well, Millen, GA might be useful if ever people coming from the South and East want to go to Augusta, GA.

Found this on Plugshare today, apparently it was posted there a week ago. No way for me to verify it’s legit but certainly seem to be, and from the pics on Plugshare it’s pretty far along. Based on that post this is a 12 stall SC located at the Walmart Supercenter in Albany. Another non-interstate travel route thru GA similar to Millen.

It's at the Albany Crossroads mall. It's "shadow-anchored by Walmart as that's not actually part of the mall.
More Tesla trolling of Walmart.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Albany, GA

Host Type: Mall
Host: Albany Crossroads
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-19, US-82
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-19

To: Atlanta, GA - 171.6 miles
Diversion: 6.9 miles
To: Bristol, TN - 502.5 miles

US-82

To: Tifton, GA - 45.2 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles
To: End (I-95/US-17 southwest of Brunswick, GA) - 168.7 miles

Helping to provide the most direct route for travel from Florida to a number of cities such as Birmingham, AL, Memphis, TN, Little Rock, AR, Oklahoma City, OK and Wichita, KS.

For the record, the address is (or is extremely close to) 2841 Ledo Rd, Albany, GA 31707. Those silly address codes ("JQFM+HM") don't work on all platforms.
Yeah I’m gonna get clarification with the planning office over the phone tomorrow. I checked and technically this is barely in Lee County and I believe outside of the city limits. I bet you’re right though.
It's at the Albany Crossroads mall. It's "shadow-anchored by Walmart as that's not actually part of the mall.
More Tesla trolling of Walmart.
It borders the Toyota dealership too, they’re not exactly buddies either 😛

I was just there. It's in what anyone would call the WalMart parking lot, though it is in front of the other stores adjacent. As you face WalMart, it's at the far left (west) end of the parking lot. Right across the street from an IHOP...very clean restaurant. The SC location is the perfect choice of location for that parking lot, should not be any icing there. The trucks and campers who stay overnight are in a different part of the parking lot. The location of the construction cone icon on the supercharger.info map is exactly right.

12 V3 stations, one marked for handicap priority use. As of right now, it is not powered, but there is no sign of any remaining construction. It is all finished, nice and shiny, I guess it just needs the electrician to come throw the switch.

Albany, Georgia. Never ever did I think there would be a supercharger here. I'm guessing there will never be a line here waiting for a charger!

Last edited:
Just move to the east of I75 and you have an even larger "supercharger desert".

View attachment 834964

This. A trip from the I-75 corridor to the beach is a long stretch of nothing. It's an easily passable gap with a good charge, but I often have to go well out of my way to a Supercharger before making the trek across the "desert". Waycross would be really nice but I'm not expecting one. That said, the state of GA just apparently awarded some contract / funds to bring EV to the 82 corridor from Brunswick to Albany. I'm not sure if Tesla has any access to that or not, but I'm hopeful. Honestly, Albany could have been the first of that money potentially.
Just move to the east of I75 and you have an even larger "supercharger desert".

This. A trip from the I-75 corridor to the beach is a long stretch of nothing. It's an easily passable gap with a good charge, but I often have to go well out of my way to a Supercharger before making the trek across the "desert". Waycross would be really nice but I'm not expecting one. That said, the state of GA just apparently awarded some contract / funds to bring EV to the 82 corridor from Brunswick to Albany. I'm not sure if Tesla has any access to that or not, but I'm hopeful. Honestly, Albany could have been the first of that money potentially.

Also, for those questioning, "why Albany" — it is good stop for anyone in South Georgia heading to Columbus or locations in Alabama...

Just had to deal with the supercharger desert in south east Georgia for work. Not fun. No hotel charger stations close and used 120v outlet. Fully charged before I entered the desert. Waycross seems like a good spot.

Albany helps a lot for the South West Georgia area. Dothan keeps getting delayed. Meet a family in Greenville Al trying to get home from Panama City Beach and a Dothan station would have saved them a lot of time and avoided Greenville

Reactions: jsight