Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque, NM - Louisiana Boulevard Northeast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

The latest Supercharger in Albuquerque is finally here!! A new station is planned for ABQ Uptown at 2200 NE Louisiana Blvd. Permits were filed in October by GPD Group to build "charging stations" on the northeast corner of the mall.

The mall is owned by Simon Properties, who has been a longtime partner for Supercharger sites (Torrance Del Amo, LVNPO, Brea Mall, to name a few).

Albuquerque.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So is this the one that was originally slated for old town?
Don't think there was ever one slated for Old Town. Would have been a cool location though if they could have squeezed one in there somehow.

If you are referring to the Tesla map, they just put pins at the generic location for a city, which in the case of Albuquerque is somewhat near Old Town. This doesn't indicate anything about where the actual supercharger will go though. In fact, sometimes all you get is an expansion of the existing location (apparently not the case this time though).

Reactions: Fleg
MarcoRP - My understanding is that 'Superchargers" are 250 watt. The ones that are less are not really the "SUPER" chargers. I may be wrong on this. Are you sure that these will be the 250 watt chargers?
250kW

Nearly all of the superchargers constructed in the last year or so are the v3 250kW variety. The v2 (150kW) and urban (72kW) variety are still considered superchargers despite what some might say. Spending half a day charging to full on a L2 charger should cure any notion that they are not "super."

My experience with the existing Albuquerque SC is that it’s very busy - not uncommon to have to wait for a charge.
We've been fortunate that we haven't had to wait for a stall at the ABQ charger, but it is not uncommon to end up paired with someone else there. The new location will spread the load, as well as being V3, making pairing a non-issue.

We've been fortunate that we haven't had to wait for a stall at the ABQ charger, but it is not uncommon to end up paired with someone else there. The new location will spread the load, as well as being V3, making pairing a non-issue.
I've pretty much always had to wait when I travel to Albuquerque for Thanksgiving, no surprise. It didn't help that some of the stalls were usually down. Can't wait for the new site! Thinking about Tuesday to Saturday for Thanksgiving this year, in the hopes of reduced lines.

I would prefer one farther north on I-25 but that's because my short-range car can barely make Farmington to Albuquerque. I'm down to 167 RM and that distance is something like 182 miles!

MarcoRP - My understanding is that 'Superchargers" are 250 watt. The ones that are less are not really the "SUPER" chargers. I may be wrong on this. Are you sure that these will be the 250 watt chargers?

250 kW, shorthand for 250 kilowatts == 250,000 watts. And as PLUS EV said, Superchargers come in three varieties, although the 250 kW units are all Tesla is installing these days with rare exception.

I just passed through here and can confirm.... This was 10:30 PM on a Sunday.
"on a Sunday."

"A" Sunday?!?!? You mean on the Sunday at the end of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend? One of the heaviest single travel days in the entire year. That Sunday? Because, I wouldn't use any supercharging experience from this past weekend as a basis for understanding/discussing normal usage. :)

I just passed through here and can confirm. I was first in line but 3 others pulled in right behind me and we all waited. This was 10:30 PM on a Sunday.
On Saturday at about 10:30 AM I was first in line. Shortly after I plugged-in there were seven cars in line! Louisiana Blvd should take some of the pressure off the existing station. However, it baffles me why Albuquerque, at the intersection of I-25 and I-40, has limped along with a single six stall station while dozens of stations have been opened in California and the East Coast.

I'd really like to see a Supercharger station on the north side of Albuquerque, as well as the stations planned for Grants and Socorro.