Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Passed through ABQ yesterday so naturally I stopped by the Applebees to check up on the Supercharger. It looks shiny brand new and ... forgotten.

Not a soul around. I plugged in, but no juice.

Oh, and I got an email reply back (finally) from Tesla's supercharger email address. I'd emailed them on June 23. Their reply:

"A few remaining tasks to complete." As Jon Stewart would say, "Go on............"
Thanks for following through with a query to Tesla.
And I'm less than thrilled about their generic "wait indefinitely" response. :(

Wanted to let people know the large road-construction project on Menaul Blvd. is complete. The SC site is easily accessible from both west and east directions.

Sadly, as far as I know, the SC is still not open.

Was going to check for a permit for a fence at that location, but from what I was told by City officials, a permit may not be required for a fence as long as certain design requirements are met.

I try to go by every day and check. No activity since completion of site construction.

Sorry, no update on the supercharger status, but I wanted to comment on the Albuquerque CHAdeMO chargers that some of us have used. Last time I charged at Winrock or O'Niell's pub, I was limited to a paltry 38 amps - barely worth my time. Today I charged at the one on Montgomery and got 104 amps. If you need a fast charge and have the adapter, that one is probably your best bet.

I stopped by tonight, after driving 450 miles from Scottsdale where I had taken my car for its 2nd annual service. (Sigh. Long story.)

I figured 1% chance ABQ would be working. I figured right. Tried one of the charger plugs; no go, no charge port door action. Just a lonely, shiny supercharger site with no activity, no explanation from Tesla, no updates, no reasons, nothing. Dammit sometimes this company's failure to communicate pisses me off.

So I limped home and got there with around 10mi left on the battery. C'mon Tesla!

abq-tsla-0708a.png

abq-tsla-0708b.png

I've never picked up a Chademo plug, just couldn't justify it, given impending expansion of superchargers. But then, given the snail's pace of progress in 2015, I'm starting to wonder if I should pick one up.

On May 1st we had our first report in this thread confirming construction activity had begun on the ABQ supercharger. It's now 73 days since then.

Any bets on whether they'll open it up within the remaining days of July, or do you think it's going to slip into August?

On June 30th I emailed the "Tesla Supercharger Team" (which must have mostly "away games" because they don't seem to be "home" responding to email, for long stretches) asking for more details about the ABQ delay.

Well, well. Just got a reply to my email, 18 days later. If the Court please your Honor, I present Exhibit A to the jury:

Thank you for your follow up questions. A fence is one of the final pieces we need to complete before we are able to open the site. We will email you once we have more information to share.

Have a wonderful weekend,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

No further questions, your Honor.

I did the Santa Rosa to Gallup hop a couple of nights ago. Got really worried I wouldn't gain back enough range going into Albuqurque so I selected that flag and I'm sure I read "open by appointment," and gave a phone number to call. On the other hand I may have been dopey. It was late at night.

On June 30th I emailed the "Tesla Supercharger Team" (which must have mostly "away games" because they don't seem to be "home" responding to email, for long stretches) asking for more details about the ABQ delay.

Well, well. Just got a reply to my email, 18 days later. If the Court please your Honor, I present Exhibit A to the jury:

No further questions, your Honor.

Where do they want a fence? The previous pictures already have a fence around the actual chargers...

I did the Santa Rosa to Gallup hop a couple of nights ago. Got really worried I wouldn't gain back enough range going into Albuqurque so I selected that flag and I'm sure I read "open by appointment," and gave a phone number to call. On the other hand I may have been dopey. It was late at night.

I just called them today and tried make an appointment, hope this works out. Of all the long legs, this has to be the largest GAP and in really hot weather. Just got the call back and it because of permitting and utility. No clue when it will be on-line. There is no way to make an appointment. Oh well I will go enjoy old town for a few hours and charge at Sacred Power HQ for free at 1501 12th St. NW.

Last edited:
Had to visit ABQ airport today so of course, made a swing by the supercharger... empty wasteland as usual. Makes one wonder if Tesla simply forgot about Albuquerque. This is now a full-fledged Mystery, what with the company totally silent, and a shiny Supercharger facility just baking in the sun not being used, month after month.

abq-20150728a.png

abq-20150728b.png