Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to be there! The meetup page requires you to be a member to see any details. I PM'd you for information, thanks. I'd suggest you put the meeting time, location and a contact number here in the clear if you want non-members to attend.

Since this thread has a bit of visibility, a quick plug for the Tesla Club of New Mexico's meetup event this Sunday Jan 17, in Albuquerque.

There should be at least one Model X to ogle over, if not two!

I'm sure the supercharger will be busy during the day as many owners from all over the state stop by for some electrons.

More details on Sunday's event at the meetup site:

http://www.meetup.com/Tesla-Club-of-New-Mexico/

Last edited:
Full house today in ABQ.
20160117_143646.jpg

I have been in Albuq over the weekend and 2 times using the SC it is charging at unusually low current. Upon arrival, with only 40 mi remaining, the max current was 150A on any of the chargers. I was the only car there. Again this morning, with 140 mi SOC, max current is 90A at any charger. Called Tesla to see if there is a reported problem, but told everything looks normal on their system. Anyone else experiencing this should report it to Tesla to get it fixed.

Tesla service emailed to say they'd have a service rep at the Menaul supercharger Feb 12, 2016 to do the seatbelt recall inspection. Here is the note:

Hello,
We are writing to inform you that we will have a technician in your area on Friday, February 12[SUP]th[/SUP]. While he is there, he will be performing seat belt inspections located at the Albuquerque Supercharger:
Applebee's
2600 Menaul Blvd NE
Albuquerque 87107

The technician will be at the supercharger from 7am to 12pm. The inspection itself takes about 5 minutes to perform and there will be one form for you to sign.
We ask that you please inform us at the service center if you will be able to make it and what time, in order for us to include you in the itinerary.

I traveled from Arizona to Colorado on Friday 11/22. The Gallup SC (the only convenient SC for this segment of the trip) only 2 of 4 were working and the working SC's maxed out at 80 KWh, having to charge to 98% to make my destination this still made for a significantly longer than normal charge session.

On a trip from Colorado to Arizona Tuesday 11/26 I was approaching NM and checked the Gallup Supercharger status on the navigation screen and it was showing 0/4 available. Called Tesla Road Side and they told me they've been having power supply problems at the Gallup SC, that only 2 were working and at about 10KWh's each. Then I imagined many more Teslas waiting in line for the 2 measly, working SC's at just 10 KWh each. It was a pretty easy call to take the 45 minute detour over to Farmington NM that added 1.5 hours to a 7.5 hour trip, but allowed me to continue past the *sugar* show in Gallup. Ironically Farmington was also charging slow at about 70KWh.

I sure hope they get the problems in Gallup resolved sooner than later. They could also use more chargers here, I-40 is a busy route.

I'm noticing more than ever a lot of Superchargers are either charging slow or not working. I've experienced this recently in North Phoenix, Flagstaff, Gallup and Farmington. Is is just me or are others noticing more issues with Supercharger than normal?

I traveled from Arizona to Colorado on Friday 11/22. The Gallup SC (the only convenient SC for this segment of the trip) only 2 of 4 were working and the working SC's maxed out at 80 KWh, having to charge to 98% to make my destination this still made for a significantly longer than normal charge session.

On a trip from Colorado to Arizona Tuesday 11/26 I was approaching NM and checked the Gallup Supercharger status on the navigation screen and it was showing 0/4 available. Called Tesla Road Side and they told me they've been having power supply problems at the Gallup SC, that only 2 were working and at about 10KWh's each. Then I imagined many more Teslas waiting in line for the 2 measly, working SC's at just 10 KWh each. It was a pretty easy call to take the 45 minute detour over to Farmington NM that added 1.5 hours to a 7.5 hour trip, but allowed me to continue past the *sugar* show in Gallup. Ironically Farmington was also charging slow at about 70KWh.

I sure hope they get the problems in Gallup resolved sooner than later. They could also use more chargers here, I-40 is a busy route.

I'm noticing more than ever a lot of Superchargers are either charging slow or not working. I've experienced this recently in North Phoenix, Flagstaff, Gallup and Farmington. Is is just me or are others noticing more issues with Supercharger than normal?
I hit Gallup late afternoon on Wednesday. I was fourth in line for three (of four) working superchargers. It turned out that the one that was paired had to be plugged in numerous times to start working, but it did work. We passed that info to new arrivals.

The long delay in getting to charge at Gallup caused me to hit a snowstorm and I had to drive 90 miles in heavy snow to Albuquerque, which was very tense. By the time I got to the Albuquerque supercharger station I had the shakes so bad I had trouble sending a text message to my local friends who I was visiting. Ended up getting there at midnight.

I sure wish Tesla would put in that planned Supercharger Station at Grants. It would really help with that stretch of I-40. As would repairing broken stalls.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowFlyer
I have driven I25 a number of times and used the Albuquerque supercharger. While it is strategically located to serve both I25 and I40, it can be a hassle to reach due to heavy traffic. It is located in the small parking lot of an Applebees restaurant and has only six stalls. Now apparently three are broken. I have never had to wait at Albuquerque, but over the last couple of years I have seen usage increase significantly. A lineup of Teslas waiting to charge would create a real problem as they would block access to restaurant parking in that small lot.
I think a city the size of Albuquerque needs one or two more superchargers, ideally one serving I25 and one for I40. And if they would ever build that long promised supercharger in Socorro, many Teslas traveling I25 could bypass Albuquerque.

Excluding the West Coast, I think this is the busiest supercharger in the West. Came thru here before Christmas and on New Uesrs to find only one charger available. Came thru today and only 2 available which were then taken. Suggest Tesla look at the useage and add an additional SC nearby.

Reactions: David99