Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd think the Taos area sees enough high income tourists to justify EV infrastructure there. Destination charging at hotels/motels, definitely, maybe Taos Ski Valley parking too.

Tourist Dollars alone are not what will feed the baby.
The critical mass (higher population) of long term and full time residents who own and operate EVs are what will bring about change for the electrical infrastructure.
For traveling visitors that fly into Taos (area), they probably will have no need for abundant EV infrastructure.

In order to just get to Taos, there needs to be a defined route, not just for Teslas, but for any type of EV.
AFAIK, in order to get to Taos, you almost have to be wanting to go there, and you will currently be using at least some combination of Level 2 charging Options.

It is not a place you simply would stumble upon or encounter or pass thru like Kansas City for folks headed between Denver to St. Louis, or Waco for folks headed between DFW and Austin and San Antonio.

The critical mass (higher population) of long term and full time residents who own and operate EVs are what will bring about change for the electrical infrastructure.
For traveling visitors that fly into Taos (area), they probably will have no need for abundant EV infrastructure.

In order to just get to Taos, there needs to be a defined route, not just for Teslas, but for any type of EV.
AFAIK, in order to get to Taos, you almost have to be wanting to go there, and you will currently be using at least some combination of Level 2 charging Options.

It is not a place you simply would stumble upon or encounter or pass thru like Kansas City for folks headed between Denver to St. Louis, or Waco for folks headed between DFW and Austin and San Antonio.

With the new Albuquerque and Las Vegas, NM as well as the Trinidad, CO Superchargers, it will be pretty easy to make it to Taos on a charge. Some of the resorts in Taos need to install Destination Charging, then it would be easy. Right now, the only options in Taos are RV Parks. I have driven my Model S from Pagosa Springs, CO to Taos; it is a beautiful trip; the only hassle was getting the car to the RV park each night; Destination Charging in Taos would made this a delight!

The Espanola/SanteFe/Albuquerque corridor can support a great deal of short distance EV travel. Lets hope the new DC charge stations will encourage the adoption of used Leafs, etc by the general population. Since the cars will almost last forever you just need to find a used battery that will fit your driving needs. This can be DIY whereas with Teslas not so much.
--

I've never suggested that anyone would just stumble into Taos, of course you have to want to be going there. Lots of tourists do, and with the SCs coming along I-25 Tesla owners will be able to get there too. Taos will obviously need L2 destination charging, but with the SCs on I-25, an SC there begins to make sense to open up the route Cottonwood mentions (Pagosa Springs). At some point there will need to be a southern SC route across Colorado, and Taos will tie in nicely to that.

The first DC charging in Albuquerque has been documented on April 11th, 2015 on PlugShare: Winrock Shopping Center | Albuquerque, NM | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Next to Dave and Busters and near a Trader Joe's, this should be a very busy location. Check the regular and satellite map for details.

Google Maps

One down and three to go. Great to see this milestone occur in Albuquerque. Only the Tucumcari Supercharger is needed for the LA to OKC drive using DC charging.

CHAdeMO1.jpg
CHAdeMO2.jpg

As I have a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, I decided to try out the new CHAdeMO charger that they just installed here in Albuquerque, per Mark Z's post. Unlike the CHAdeMO in Santa Fe, this one really is a level 3 charger. For me, it peaked at 117A @ 375V, or just under 44 kW (just over 140 miles range/hour). The sign says that there is a 30 minute limit, but it automatically stopped charging my MS at 48 minutes. I was able to add just over 110 miles of range. Also, it was free - you just need to have a greenlots account. Until the Albuquerque Supercharger is on-line, this isn't bad.

As I have a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, I decided to try out the new CHAdeMO charger that they just installed here in Albuquerque, per Mark Z's post. Unlike the CHAdeMO in Santa Fe, this one really is a level 3 charger. For me, it peaked at 117A @ 375V, or just under 44 kW (just over 140 miles range/hour). The sign says that there is a 30 minute limit, but it automatically stopped charging my MS at 48 minutes. I was able to add just over 110 miles of range. Also, it was free - you just need to have a greenlots account. Until the Albuquerque Supercharger is on-line, this isn't bad.

What's a 'greenlots account'?

Would it let you unplug and go again if you need more juice and there's nobody else waiting?

@mike-415, I tried starting a new session without unplugging, but it didn't work. Nobody was waiting, but I decided to just unplug and leave anyway.

More info: I decided to use it again last night, starting with 74 rated miles. It stopped charging at 213 rated miles, which coincides with my earlier charging session. It took 58 minutes. It may be limited in this case to 80% SOC, which is what it was at when it stopped. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

@mike-415, I tried starting a new session without unplugging, but it didn't work. Nobody was waiting, but I decided to just unplug and leave anyway.

More info: I decided to use it again last night, starting with 74 rated miles. It stopped charging at 213 rated miles, which coincides with my earlier charging session. It took 58 minutes. It may be limited in this case to 80% SOC, which is what it was at when it stopped. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

Any chance you have the charging set to 80%? Might be constrained by your setting, not the SC.

More good news for those that want a quick charge in Albuquerque until Tesla finally builds/opens the Albuquerque supercharger. I charged today at another of the new CHAdeMO stations here in Albuquerque, this one located at ONiell's Pub (4310 Central Ave SE). I had my charge limit set to 98%, and it didn't stop charging until I reached it. Also, it is free and doesn't require any special accounts. All you'll need is the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (okay, not a minor thing). Before tapering, it was charging at 118A/380V.

Awesome news.. too bad I will be there the week before (missed it by *that* much!). :-/ But still awesome. I may drive up to Las Vegas, NM to check on the status while I am up there.

There are 3 new Greenlots CHAdeMO 50kW chargers in Albuq that are free to use for now, I used the one in Winrock Town Center this morning, NW side of Dave and Buster's lot. If you have adapter, download the app to start charging and go inside for a cold one!