Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dagnabbit! Scooped again! Went by the site around 5pm. No one around. At least the weather improved. Now if they could do something about the wind...but it is spring in NM! At least the sun is out!

Great picture @blogth, looks just like the one I took!:biggrin:
More progress soon! Won't be long now! Soon I'll be able to hang out at the supercharger and wait for Teslas, Yahoo!

Dagnabbit! Scooped again! Went by the site around 5pm. No one around. At least the weather improved. Now if they could do something about the wind...but it is spring in NM! At least the sun is out!

Great picture @blogth, looks just like the one I took!:biggrin:
More progress soon! Won't be long now! Soon I'll be able to hang out at the supercharger and wait for Teslas, Yahoo!

Yeah this site is going to be like a desert Oasis - with nomadic Teslas arriving from beyond the horizon, swapping stories before they move onto the next watering hole.
Sounds like the makings of a Pixar Short:)

Progress today: striping complete, all coverings for chargers in place, all charging wands in place. Still need lights and some landscaping at least. No one on site at about 5pm when I went by so I can't give anyone any official news. Looks terrific!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 889
Progress today: striping complete, all coverings for chargers in place, all charging wands in place. Still need lights and some landscaping at least. No one on site at about 5pm when I went by so I can't give anyone any official news. Looks terrific!

A service center has to bring a car there to test each slot when they activate the SC. Not sure where they'd come from, perhaps Denver would send one on a flatbed trailer since without Trinidad online they can't drive it.

I'd think that the crew is done, and now home for the holiday. Tesla just needs to flip the switch with only the foreman on site.

Looking good, except they need to peel the rest of the white tape covering the pillars on the sides of each supercharger. You can see it is partially off the top portion of the closest and 2nd & 4th supercharger, mostly off the 3rd & 6th and all off the 5th. I'm traveling from Mesa, AZ to Oklahoma City around July 4th and this will be a welcome supercharger. Hope to see Amarillo open by then too, but this is not critical to get there.

A service center has to bring a car there to test each slot when they activate the SC. Not sure where they'd come from, perhaps Denver would send one on a flatbed trailer since without Trinidad online they can't drive it.

I was through ABQ this Wednesday. Didn't check the SuperCharger though. I jumped from Gallup to Santa Rosa. Probably could not have made it the other direction, Santa Rosa to Gallup, without an RV park stop. I had come from Denver but by way of Phoenix.

Looking good, except they need to peel the rest of the white tape covering the pillars on the sides of each supercharger. You can see it is partially off the top portion of the closest and 2nd & 4th supercharger, mostly off the 3rd & 6th and all off the 5th. I'm traveling from Mesa, AZ to Oklahoma City around July 4th and this will be a welcome supercharger. Hope to see Amarillo open by then too, but this is not critical to get there.

Ha! Yes indeed! I was coming here to post the same thing. Surprised they didn't peel the tape off.

I asked the construction crew about Amarillo during my photo stop. They said another construction company was assigned to that location. The crew for Albuquerque mentioned future work on two Superchargers for Dallas.

No time frames were mentioned. This team did the installation at Weatherford, OK.

Stopped by at about 11:30 this morning. No change from yesterday prevening.

This site is not complete.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, landscaping is not complete, lights have not been installed, etc.

No workers were on site during my last two stops so I don't have more information about a scheduled completion date/time. This holiday is reeking havoc with progress! :biggrin:

As soon as the site is complete, I'm sure someone will post that information here. I would hate for someone to assume the site is operational, stop by and be disappointed. Not much longer now!

I asked the construction crew about Amarillo during my photo stop. They said another construction company was assigned to that location. The crew for Albuquerque mentioned future work on two Superchargers for Dallas.

No time frames were mentioned. This team did the installation at Weatherford, OK.

Mark,
Thanks for asking about that ! The fact that there is a planned installation for Amarillo is reassuring, given that we had a 'false alarm' with what turned out to be destination chargers at Holiday Inn Express.

Stealth,
I checked with the city building permits on Friday, and no permit was found yet for Amarillo. So things are not looking good for your July 4 trip for stopping in Amarillo. Fortunately you should be able to do Tucumcari to Shamrock if you have an 85. If you're in a pinch, Holiday Inn Express does have an 80amp Tesla charger on site.

I would expect the crew to think of Denton as being Dallas. It's Cowboys territory. Therefore it's Dallas. Maybe the 2nd one is Kilgore/Longview area? My fantasy would be Wichita Falls or Childress to connect Dallas to Colorado & the Panhandle, but that's not on the maps anymore. Given that Tesla doesn't always follow the maps, anything could happen.

...Fortunately you should be able to do Tucumcari to Shamrock if you have an 85...
It is possible in an 85 as I did accomplish it in both directions during the recent OC to OKC drive trip. It is a 204 mile stretch not to be taken lightly. Wind is the enemy or friend depending on direction. Range charge to 100% was done for safety in both directions. On May 14 the eastbound Tucumcari to Shamrock drive with light winds in my direction left me with 57 miles of range AT the speed limit. On May 19, the westbound Shamrock to Tucumcari drive was heading into some light winds after storms had passed through. The Model S very quickly warned to "Slow Down" to make the destination. Weather was clear and I drove 5 MPH BELOW the speed limit. Only about 30 miles of range remained at Tucumcari. In both cases I stopped at the scenic rest stop between Amarillo and Shamrock. On the west-bound journey, I added a rest stop at Russell's to view the Car Museum and get a snack. Russells Truck Travel Center

The Tucumcari Supercharger worked fine both times. I tried several of the spots on May 14th and they were giving the same charge rate.

I too made it from Tucumcari to Shamrock and from Shamrock to Tucumcari in an S85 recently- Both directions I encountered Rain. I too drove a little under the posted speed limit till I was sure I would arrive with more than 30 miles range each direction. The temperature was in the mid 50s on the way from Shamrock to Tucumcari. I would have loved a Supercharger in Amarillo, that would have made it easier, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the trip again W/O Amarillo.

Thank you Mark Z and MyJoule for the feedback for my trip to OK and the stretch between Tucumcari and Shamrock. I will be especially careful going westbound between these two superchargers and do a range charge unless I decide to stop in Amarillo for a bite to eat and charge at the HPWC.

One more point of reference on Shamrock to Tucumcari. Headed west into 20+ mph winds, I had to drive 60mph (15 under the speed limit) for three hours and arrived with 10 miles left. Headed east at or a little above the speed limit arrived in Shamrock with 29 miles left. Don't forget westbound is up hill too.

Thanks for the feedback rsampsonjr. Since my P85 range charges to only 252 RM, I will definitely stop in Amarillo when heading west. My P85 is 1 year old and has 24,500 miles and has lost 13 RM due to battery degradation (I assume that is the reason).

After a Memorial Day holiday to honor our veterans (honoring them Memorial Day and every day!) workers are back on site.

PNM, the electric power company here, still needs to hook up power to the transformer before much else can happen. The installation will need to be certified before it can open. Workers were busy finishing up at about 5pm when I checked in so I did not want to pester them too much. Still a few days away I was told...

After a Memorial Day holiday to honor our veterans (honoring them Memorial Day and every day!) workers are back on site.

PNM, the electric power company here, still needs to hook up power to the transformer before much else can happen. The installation will need to be certified before it can open. Workers were busy finishing up at about 5pm when I checked in so I did not want to pester them too much. Still a few days away I was told...

Just never tell a veteran or service member "Happy Memorial Day" or "Thank You for your service" (on Memorial Day). They don't like it.

"I’m frustrated by people all over the country who view the day as anything but a day to remember our WAR DEAD. I hate hearing “Happy Memorial Day.” It’s not Veterans Day. It’s not military appreciation day. Don’t thank me for my service. Please don’t thank me for my service. It’s take the time to pay homage to the men and women who died while wearing the cloth of this nation you’re so freely enjoying today, day."

I hate Memorial Day - Here's Why

Thanks for the feedback rsampsonjr. Since my P85 range charges to only 252 RM, I will definitely stop in Amarillo when heading west. My P85 is 1 year old and has 24,500 miles and has lost 13 RM due to battery degradation (I assume that is the reason).

Regarding the loss of RM Search for battery conditioning in the forum. It may not be degradation of the battery.

Just never tell a veteran or service member "Happy Memorial Day" or "Thank You for your service" (on Memorial Day). They don't like it.

"I’m frustrated by people all over the country who view the day as anything but a day to remember our WAR DEAD. I hate hearing “Happy Memorial Day.” It’s not Veterans Day. It’s not military appreciation day. Don’t thank me for my service. Please don’t thank me for my service. It’s take the time to pay homage to the men and women who died while wearing the cloth of this nation you’re so freely enjoying today, day."

I hate Memorial Day - Here's Why

Point taken.

It's just that I was posting on Memorial Day and wanted to show some respect. It's not all about shopping, fun, and Super Chargers...

i guess my thinking is affected by my years working with a group of Bataan Death March survivors from New Mexico. Years ago I was involved in neighborhood activities. They asked me to help in their effort to erect a memorial in Bataan Memorial Park near my home. Thanks primarily to their involvement, the effort succeeded.

Many of those men have since passed away. I can't help thinking about them on Memorial Day as well.

But you are right, Memorial Day is a day to remember our war dead.