Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Albuquerque NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
It likely limits hours (or minutes) of charge, assuming you to be a Leaf. :crying:

All of the CHAdeMO stations I've used knew my state of charge (displays it, even, see picture). I wasn't limited by time, and I had my charge limit set to 98% usually. The Montgomery CHAdeMO did not limit me to 80%, and delivered higher power.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the input on CHAdeMO chargers in Albuquerque. I will call Green Lots on Monday or Tuesday to inquire about the status of their stations. Our trip is on Wednesday and if all the stations are down we can 1) drive slow(er) from Gallup or 2) look into other options.

@Chapo, I've used that CHAdeMO station 4 times, and it limited my Model S to 80% each time. Did it really let you charge to 100%?
The unit I used in SF is owned by PUb Service of NM in a two year free install. I charged two hours and added 200 miles range. While charging I had a great lunch at El Milagros west of Lowe's.

Not sure urge about the 100% there I left with 245 and plugged in to a 110 outlet for the night at a B&B left SF with 270 and got to Gallup w 50 miles rated range.

I did Santa Fe to Tucson last week. Used Chademo in SF for range charge to Gallup. Then a hp to Holbrook. Range charge and then downhill to Tucson through Show Low and Salt River. Home w 60 miles rated range left.

Hey Chapo - how was the drive through the Salt River Canyon in your Model S? Were you able to use regen all the way down or did you need the brakes? I grew up near Show Low, and always loved driving through the canyon. I live in Dallas now, but am planning to drive out to Fountain Hills later this year and will probably go through Holbrook and Payson. Just need to get Amarillo and Albuquerque online...

Shortmanz,

Unless you are driving a 60- getting from Texas to Arizona via I-40 isn't hard with a Chademo adapter for ABQ charging in case it's still not on line- Shamrock to Tucumcari isn't too bad, just don't drive over the speed limit and range charge in Shamrock. I did the trip in an S85 in May and had no issues either direction. While I have to admit it would be very nice to have both ABQ and Amarillo SC on line, it's not the end of the world if they aren't.

Stopped by the supercharger today and noticed that they have put white paint to mark where the fence will be. It runs north/south. I think the purpose is to stop people from coming from the bike path.

Thanks for the update and pics, @jpd. Any sign of progress is a positive. Looks like my guess (earlier in this thread) about where the fence might go was slightly off.

Shortmanz,

Unless you are driving a 60- getting from Texas to Arizona via I-40 isn't hard with a Chademo adapter for ABQ charging in case it's still not on line- Shamrock to Tucumcari isn't too bad, just don't drive over the speed limit and range charge in Shamrock. I did the trip in an S85 in May and had no issues either direction. While I have to admit it would be very nice to have both ABQ and Amarillo SC on line, it's not the end of the world if they aren't.

Thanks - I do have an 85, but don't have a Chademo adapter (yet). Is there any problem going the other way (from Tucumcari to Shamrock)? I guess it mostly depends on the elevation change and if there is a head wind. With the fence line pic today, it looks like it may not bee too long before Albuquerque is online.

I had no issues either direction in May- The trip from Tucumcari to Shamrock was challenging- I was balancing outrunning a pretty bad storm with power consumption due to speed. I range charged in Tucumcari and arrived at Shamrock with something like 30 miles left- Then the sky opened up while I was charging, and with the lightning all around, I was worried that the Supercharger would get hit.... luckily that didn't happen.

Hey Chapo - how was the drive through the Salt River Canyon in your Model S? Were you able to use regen all the way down or did you need the brakes? I grew up near Show Low, and always loved driving through the canyon. I live in Dallas now, but am planning to drive out to Fountain Hills later this year and will probably go through Holbrook and Payson. Just need to get Amarillo and Albuquerque online...
Regen almost all the time. I lost track of how many rated miles added but it was big -- and fun.

Stopped by the supercharger today and noticed that they have put white paint to mark where the fence will be. It runs north/south. I think the purpose is to stop people from coming from the bike path.
View attachment 90945View attachment 90946View attachment 90947

jpd - Thanks for posting the pictures. That chalk line looks like a horrible place to put a fence. Is is just me or does the line go between the supercharger pedestals and the sign posts? Even worse, it appears that the pad-locked door to the enclosed space won't be able to open without hitting the fence line. Somebody didn't think this through very well.

One thing that may be causing the delay or the requirement for a fence is lobbyists. I spoke with a Tesla Rep a few weeks back and there has been hard lobbying work going on to "protect people from these dangerous charging stations"
we can only speculate who these people may be in West Texas, Nebraska and North Dakota or anywhere else there is a tesla charging Gap.
Its a futile fight but hey, if people cant charge to make a road trip maybe they will have to buy a car from a dealership instead or buy a gas car instead if USA travel is patchy with a Tesla....Tesla must be stalled at all costs! It wont work, but that may be the reason for the fence.

Also, New Mexico area has been a hot bed of political corruption and scandle for hundreds of years...yes, before there was Even a United States.

One thing that may be causing the delay or the requirement for a fence is lobbyists. I spoke with a Tesla Rep a few weeks back and there has been hard lobbying work going on to "protect people from these dangerous charging stations"
we can only speculate who these people may be in West Texas, Nebraska and North Dakota or anywhere else there is a tesla charging Gap.
Its a futile fight but hey, if people cant charge to make a road trip maybe they will have to buy a car from a dealership instead or buy a gas car instead if USA travel is patchy with a Tesla....Tesla must be stalled at all costs! It wont work, but that may be the reason for the fence.

Also, New Mexico area has been a hot bed of political corruption and scandle for hundreds of years...yes, before there was Even a United States.

Of course, Gallup and Farmington went in without incident a couple of years ago...

Having worked in that area of town for many years, and seeing the proposed location of the fence, I suspect that the fence is designed to keep persons from getting to the charging site from the channel trails. Not only do bikers and joggers use them, but transients and homeless persons use them as a means to get to the north side of I-40. IF that's the case, then I'll wait another 3+ months for a safer location for my wife and other Tesla owners to charge without being pestered for "spare change" ...or worse.