Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the installs along the Trans-Canada put 10-foot-high conduit tubes on each charger site- basically there's a wire tail coming out several feet long, and some sort of protection is needed to keep the weather out of the conduits. Boxes are another option...

Some of the installs along the Trans-Canada put 10-foot-high conduit tubes on each charger site- basically there's a wire tail coming out several feet long, and some sort of protection is needed to keep the weather out of the conduits. Boxes are another option...
Wow! That suggests that they pre-planned long term protection for winter.:( Can you point to pictures?

Edit: no need, I found the pictures on the Trans-Canadian SCs. Probably more protective for the wires than 10 ft of snow, which was my original thought.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated fun...

8D430AC9-EC95-44AB-8339-E1C2034B95BC.jpeg
DBF70CCD-022D-4065-A845-B6BEAC4B912F.jpeg
FE7C4020-9525-41DD-A53F-F304C7BFAFC9.jpeg

It appears there are no non-Tesla L3 chargers. Earlier in the year, Plugshare showed a future L3 charger there as part of whatever network is going in along I-94, but it looks like that got dropped from the plans.

Bob, you may be thinking of the fast L3 charger network to be installed along I-94 by ZEF Energy. ZEF won state contracts to spend some of the VW settlement money to build (non-Tesla) fast L3 charging networks across Minnesota. They're probably busy with all that paperwork, preparation and site selection.

My understanding is host/site selection is ZEF's main concern, followed by the > $25K cost in hardware (plus install time/labor) for just one dual-head L3 EV charger. I read that the Moorhead ZEF L3 location was partially paid for by DOE grants, local benefactors and other incentives.

The upcoming Tesla Supercharger and new L2 chargers at Target in Alexandria combined total usage will pull a substantial amount of watts from the local grid. Thus ZEF may need to find another host with a separate dedicated power feed from the local power utility. Since Goodwill (Easter Seals) is a partner and they already have a L2 EV charger at the other end of the city, ZEF may choose that site if Goodwill's power situation is workable.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm excited to see steady progress on the Alex SC construction. That's been long overdue and badly needed. I heard several other possible site locations closer to I-94 fell through before picking this Target location.

Last edited: