Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This early, I doubt the ground is frozen very far down. We have crews up north here digging to fix leaky water pipes all winter long... It's not difficult for power equipment, they just might need a bigger digger than the little toy one they've used in the summer.

I should add - the crew in western Canada that did all the way west from Winnipeg did both the ground/base prep and the hardware installs. Maybe it's the same down there, they'd rather not split the two tasks to different companies.

This early, I doubt the ground is frozen very far down. We have crews up north here digging to fix leaky water pipes all winter long... It's not difficult for power equipment, they just might need a bigger digger than the little toy one they've used in the summer.

I should add - the crew in western Canada that did all the way west from Winnipeg did both the ground/base prep and the hardware installs. Maybe it's the same down there, they'd rather not split the two tasks to different companies.
It's not just the added challenges of digging in frozen ground, there are also concerns/challenges about the concrete curing properly when done in cold weather. But these installs don't have too much concrete work, so it's not too hard to use on-site warming if needed. They've done it on occasion in the past. And if Jamestown's concrete isn't already finished (can't tell under the snow), I wouldn't be surprised to see it done there.

I seem to recall a number of sites in that region (Fargo?) used precast concrete bases instead of pouring them.
Even if the bases were precast and didn't need any additional concrete, they would still need to pour the new equipment pad for the cabinets and switchgear. Plus there are sometimes other things which necessitate on-site concrete work, like new curbs or disabled accessible walkways, etc. But like I said previously, it's not too much regardless of whether the pedestal bases are poured or not and other supercharger locations being built during winter in cold weather areas have used heating systems to manage the problem.

20191224_122000[1].jpg

As of last week...

Reactions: PStewart
Great news! I stopped by on my way home to Fargo (from Mpls) last night(1/31) and it looks like it's finally happening!
The wooden boxes are gone/off and the cables are out. There is a lift, trailer, unopened boxes, the large white boxes are installed.
Fingers crossed that it gets finished up and powered on soon!
20200131_200519.jpg 20200131_200539.jpg 20200131_200541.jpg 20200131_200503.jpg 20200131_200449.jpg

Attachments

• 20200131_200503.jpg
    20200131_200503.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200131_200541.jpg
    20200131_200541.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20200131_200539.jpg
    20200131_200539.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 109
Yep. those "Do not stack over 2 high" are boxes of pedestals, based on the Trans-Canada installs.
Wow, are the white Controller boxes already in place on their bases? Progress.

IIRC, they were doing some Trans-Canada equipment installs inside heated tents, so weather is no big deal (except Grand Forks - some digging required)

Perhaps this means Buffalo has been churning out the equipment for the stretch of I94 across North Dakota

Reactions: JustinG