Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alice, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now this is extremely interesting.

Circle K gas stations are not franchised.
So if there's one, there could be many more to come.

(Irvings in Maine and Eastern Canada lease out their convenience stores to Circle K).

From February 2021:

In the coming months, Couche-Tard will start to roll out EV charging solutions at North American locations, beginning in its Quebec and California markets, with a combination of Circle K-branded chargers and partner charging solutions, the company said.

There is a Circle K in Pearsall, TX. Not the best for I-35, but something ...

Last edited:
From February 2021:
My big concern is that they have been "ready" for over a year now...why are we just now starting to see a few stations pop up at Circle K's?

I had @mentioned them in a tweet and they replied back with a CGI rendering of European charging/fuel hub (this was back in 2020 IIRC).

Great that they are finally starting to do this, but what's taken so long, and are they going to ramp up their rollout? Hopefully the past 1-2 years has been spent getting their ducks lined up so they can start aggressively deploying sites, but I'm still skeptical.

Reactions: PStewart
Alice, TX

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Circle K
Along Primary Interstates: I-69C
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-281
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-69C

To: End (George West, TX) - 41.4 miles
Diversion: 1.4 miles

US-281

From: Start (US-77 Bus/TX-48 Brownsville, TX) - 167.7 miles
To: Three Rivers, TX - 58.1 miles
Diversion: 5.6 miles
To: North San Antonio, TX - 147.5 miles

Splitter on I-69C (only partially built), which would follow US-281 as far as George West.

281 (future I-69C) bypasses Alice now. The old highway still exists as the business route, and you would take that road in/out, instead of the highway 44 interchange, giving you a route shorter NB by 0.1 miles (SB is .3 miles longer), but 15 minutes instead of 8.

This has been needed for a long time since the drive from George West to Edinburg/McAllen stretches the limit of many shorter range Teslas
Oh yes - yesterday, the limit of my Model Y LR was "stretched."

On the return trip from Denver, the wind was howling out of the SE, as it had been all across Texas. My weather app said it was 25mph in Three Rivers, with gusts to 35. This was probably conservative.

I charged all the way to 100% (I hardly ever do that) and drove at 70 mph - but the nav kept telling me I would arrive home in McAllen with 5% - and that was too close for me, especially since I had wife, daughter and grand daughter with me. I had to give up and detour to Kingsville - which added a lot more time to the trip home.

Could have used the Alice site.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
the wind was howling out of the SE, as it had been all across Texas
perhaps the reason why wind power was supplementing the grid very nicely yesterday

Texans are cranking on the air conditioning this week amid an unusually early heat wave, setting new records for electricity demand in the state, which surpassed 75 gigawatts on Sunday and smashed the 2019 record. Texas grid operator ERCOT projects it could approach that peak again on Tuesday.

But unlike previous extreme weather events in Texas which led to deadly blackouts, the grid is holding up remarkably well this week. Several experts told CNN that it's owed in large part to strong performances from wind and solar, which generated 27 gigawatts of electricity during Sunday's peak demand -- close to 40% of the total needed.

perhaps the reason why wind power was supplementing the grid very nicely yesterday

Wow! Thanx for this. The turbines were spinning fast all through West Texas.

BTW - because I don't trust the grip, I am seriously thinking about putting solar panels on the roof - and a battery too.

Oh yes - yesterday, the limit of my Model Y LR was "stretched."

On the return trip from Denver, the wind was howling out of the SE, as it had been all across Texas. My weather app said it was 25mph in Three Rivers, with gusts to 35. This was probably conservative.

I charged all the way to 100% (I hardly ever do that) and drove at 70 mph - but the nav kept telling me I would arrive home in McAllen with 5% - and that was too close for me, especially since I had wife, daughter and grand daughter with me. I had to give up and detour to Kingsville - which added a lot more time to the trip home.

Could have used the Alice site.
Let's hear more about this Denver CO to McAllen TX Tesla road trip...

Reactions: TexasDuke and CarlS
New permit for Supercharger in Alice TX at 700 E. Front St (Circle K) -

Near intersection of TX Highway 44 (Front St.) and Business US Hwy 281

Good news for southbounders to Space X/Brownsville and northbounders from Rio Grande Valley
Good news for us! Three Rivers is a long haul from the RGV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hear more about this Denver CO to McAllen TX Tesla road trip...
Okay - not much to say. We had a full load with the wife, younger daughter and 8 year old granddaughter, visiting my brother and his wife.

Since I'm retired, normally just the wife and I would take three (maybe four) days for a 2,500 trip like this, but the daughter is a doctoral student and super busy, so we took two days to get there and the same on return. Ugh! (But the daughter helped with the driving.)

Home to Lubbock via Junction and Sweetwater, then Lubbock to Denver via Clayton, NM.

No problems except the aforementioned wind. We first noticed how strong it was all the way back in southern Colorado when we stopped to charge at Trinidad. Strong through New Mexico, but was howling from Amarillo south.

• Helpful
Reactions: CarlS and get-atty