Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alice, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yes - I am used to that on the McAllen-Three Rivers run. Always have lots of juice left upon arrival.
We had a very good run from McAllen area to Three Rivers today. Arrived with more charge than expected. Supercharger worked very well. But man oh man was the Three Rivers travel center super busy crowded!

Unfortunately then we then turned around and headed to Corpus.* There must have been some headwind. Plus it was really hot 99+. I drove a little faster 75 instead of 70. And we used way more energy than expected.

*This was a test run to get a better understanding of how the Model X performs on long trips. So we were not running the more direct route to Corpus.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TexasDuke
@corywright @Big Earl @Chuq

DF59E4F1-EB10-4306-949C-12686295637A.jpeg

Is this a better route to go to South Padre/Boca Chica from North Texas? Austin -- Alice -- McAllen -- Brownsville ? And not going via Kingsville ?
No, generally it’s better to go down US 77 which meets I-37 coming from San Antonio. You have Kingsville, then Harlingen soon, then SP100 going to South Padre Island. If going to Boca Chica you’ll go through or around Brownsville.

From Austin we usually took US183 or 123/181 through Seguin south to hit I-37 near Corpus, bypassing San Antonio. There are Superchargers on I-35 at San Marcos and New Braunfels, so maybe this gives you enough charge to get to Kingsville supercharger.

Last edited:
We should've seen this coming lol

Streetview May 2022:
View attachment 839576
And it beat Harlingen for coming online!

We drove past Alice on US281 around June 20, and didn’t go look assuming it hadn’t started yet. It must have started at least ground prep by then.
Duh! And now I see the fencing in the background of the street view photo from May 2022. Darn it! We should have stopped!

Last edited:
281 (future I-69C) bypasses Alice now. The old highway still exists as the business route, and you would take that road in/out, instead of the highway 44 interchange, giving you a route shorter NB by 0.1 miles (SB is .3 miles longer), but 15 minutes instead of 8.

Double-checking I can see the mapping on OSM is currently messed up as it doesn't have the gas station entrances mapped.
Adjusting for that I now get

I-69C

To: End (George West, TX) - 41.1 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles

Looks like the best nearby option for real food is a Mexican restaurant. Downtown locations can be diversions, but help you get away from chains.

Reactions: PLUS EV
A nice thing about the Alice supercharger location is that if you are heading north to San Antonio, you can then take 359 up to Mathis and get on I-37 earlier which lets you avoid having to drive through both downtown George West and downtown Three Rivers - which is my least favorite part of that stretch.

You can also take a right at the first light when you reach George West and take the quick jog on US59 over to I-37. A lot of truck traffic does this.

Last edited:
Is this a better route to go to South Padre/Boca Chica from North Texas? Austin -- Alice -- McAllen -- Brownsville ? And not going via Kingsville ?
That's a good question and it would probably depend on traffic/time of day and such. At some point you have to drive the 20 miles or so east from US 281 to US 77. Alice to Kingsville might be a good option, as you could top off at the Kingsville Supercharger for 5-10 minutes for the final stretch. As it is 75 mph south of Kingsville with no traffic and assuming you like to go a little faster than the posted speed limit, you'd have a little more range protection. The South Texas combo of high speed, high wind and and high temperatures can take up a lot of battery power.

It could be, but if you’ve opted to come down I-37 from San Antonio, then the Three Rivers supercharger is right on I-37, and you don’t need to charge at Alice.

It’s only 88/89 miles from Three Rivers TX to Kingsville TX Supercharger. Both routes involve jogs, but the I-37 to US77 route is faster because you don’t have to drive through the middle part of Three Rivers, George West, and Kingsville, and only 1 mile longer.

Regardless there are options.

Attachments

• 546A34FA-64D3-4E92-9048-73B84100E01A.jpeg
    546A34FA-64D3-4E92-9048-73B84100E01A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33