Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Altoona, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh that's interesting. Sounds like maybe we'll get it in 2018 after all.

It always seemed like the Hy-Vee just down the road from there was the obvious choice. Are the images on Google up to date? It doesn't seem like there's anywhere to eat near that location unless the Casey's across the street has some seating inside (some of them do).

Bethany, MO is a great addition to the Tesla Supercharger network. Hopefully they will activate Altoona, IA soon which would make Overland Park, KS to Verona, WI trip much easier/faster.

@RobK, I think you had originally mistaken the Altoona, Pennsylvania install for Altoona, Iowa. But here you go, this will be the one in the right state and should help you out.

Reactions: RobK
Grabbed these pics today while traveling through. Contractors actively working.

Attachments

• F9115AFE-559A-4445-BA0B-F3825FEE3E81.jpeg
    F9115AFE-559A-4445-BA0B-F3825FEE3E81.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 385
  • 90AB0123-630A-4421-8B39-A5D608A42AB8.jpeg
    90AB0123-630A-4421-8B39-A5D608A42AB8.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 247
Grabbed these pics today while traveling through. Contractors actively working.
Beat me to it. I asked the worker about time frame and he said they are waiting on equipment and couldn't offer a date. He said he worked on the Bethany, MO and Shelby, IA locations recently. He said if they have everything, they could get a Supercharger station built in 5 days.

Attachments

• 20181221_164815.jpg
    20181221_164815.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 234
Nice. It looks like they might already have the utility transformer installed (hiding in the backgroud of GleanerC's first picture you can see a new transformer and evidence of the recent trenching). So this site could potentially come on-line very quickly as the major long lead item might already be finished. The parking stall layout is a bit weird though. I would have expected the far left stall to be pull forward instead of back-in.

Waiting on the switchgear (that's a new one, usually it's the utility transformer that's the hold-up). Everything else looks done. After that gets installed and wired in, they'll hopefully be able to get final inspections done, have the meter released, and turn the juice on.

Reactions: K3Man and RobK
I wonder If the Wooden enclosure needs to be installed around the 3 Supercharger units before it can go live also? It seems odd that these units aren't clustered on a common Concrete pad.
There won't be a fence/enclosure. Whether any sort of screen around such equipment, either fencing or landscaping, is required is a matter decided by local Planning/Zoning rules. it's not a hard rule enforced everywhere. From the layout, looks like it isn't required by this jurisdiction. It is a bit unusual to see the cabinets strung out in a line like that, but we've seen it done in other locations as well. I imagine it was done here to stay within the requirements of the site. The cabinets have to be located within a certain distance of the charging posts but setting them all on a single pad on available space somewhere within that radius would likely have interfered with the setback requirements or encroached on the sidewalk. Either that or have swallowed up an additional parking stall which might not have been acceptable to the land owners. etc.

Reactions: MarkeR2002