Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, TX - East Interstate 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to see V3 chargers in Amarillo soon!

However, I'm going to miss the free charging at the Holiday Inn supercharger. They just started charging to use that charger.
1653429773128266922104141509379.jpg

so great to see. Just stopped by that Wendy's on our way to Taos/ NM over Memorial Day Weekend and I won't miss the slow Amarillo charger. Lunch + fast charging in the same spot are hard to beat. Amarillo SC got very busy on Monday coming back and with shared power maxing out at 70kw it was one slow charge....
I may get a chance to check the accuracy of their construction schedule - heading that way in the last week of June. Perhaps this shiny new one will be open then. I will do my best to report back here (my TMC reading may be dimished due to travel :)

Related: thinking of staying overnight in Amarillo. Recommendations welcome!

I may get a chance to check the accuracy of their construction schedule - heading that way in the last week of June. Perhaps this shiny new one will be open then. I will do my best to report back here (my TMC reading may be dimished due to travel :)

I always stayed at the holiday inn where the chargers are.

Reactions: growler23
Same here but these are not the new ones. Guess it doesn’t matter if you are spending the night here. That is the attractive part for me.
Yeah, once the new one is online, I'll likely change overnights or just push to a real hotel with real AC instead of the stinkfected window blowers. My trips are only heading to ski - Taos or Colorado. The Holiday Inn was rather new and never stunk and it was set off the Freeway a good bit. Enjoy!

There are probably more than a dozen hotels and just as many restaurants within walking distance of the original (West side) superchargers. Have not personally stayed at any of them, but have had visiting family experience excellent stays at the Drury and the Country Inn and Suites. Slim pickings at the new East side location.

Reactions: growler23

We're big users of AirBnb ... more privacy and less noisy than hotels. Especially as air bnb in amarillo is quite cheap... plus you can plug in at the house and slow charge 5 miles/ hr overnight before hitting the supercharger next day

The Holiday Inn Express has destination chargers if you want to wake up to a full charge for free...
from my experience (Courtyard Marriot River Village New Braunfels) those destination chargers are often ICE'd and the front desk literally can't or won't do a thing. They are a nice bonus *if* you can get them but I would never plan a trip with the expectation that I'll be using a destination charger overnight (unless I know about the hotel policies or that they are available for sure). There's also a hotel just 45min north in Dumas/ TX with 6+ destination chargers and they are far away in the back of the parking lot so pretty open and not taken. These used to be my "topping off" location when making the Amarillo - Trinidad treck before Clayton had a SC.

from my experience (Courtyard Marriot River Village New Braunfels) those destination chargers are often ICE'd and the front desk literally can't or won't do a thing. They are a nice bonus *if* you can get them but I would never plan a trip with the expectation that I'll be using a destination charger overnight (unless I know about the hotel policies or that they are available for sure). There's also a hotel just 45min north in Dumas/ TX with 6+ destination chargers and they are far away in the back of the parking lot so pretty open and not taken. These used to be my "topping off" location when making the Amarillo - Trinidad treck before Clayton had a SC.
The chargers at the Holiday Inn Express are at the back of the building with CONES blocking them. I don't drive by there that often, but have never seen ANY cars charging there. The Home2suites right across the street also has destination chargers and they always seem to be occupied.

• Helpful
Reactions: CarlS