Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For tourists and vacationers reading this thread, do yourself a favor and stop by Cadillac Ranch which is just three miles west of this upcoming supercharger. Its a folk art/sculpture display of older Cadillacs half buried in the ground. Bring some spray paint and do some colorful tagging on the cars themselves. This is a perfect little excursion for kids and grown ups alike. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Cadillac_Ranch.jpg

I checked out the site this evening.

Supercharger trucks.jpg

I was amazed to see Xcel Energy trucks on site. Turns out Xcel is having a regional training session with their installers tomorrow, and these guys were simply guests at Holiday Inn, not actually installing anything,

Supercharger I40.jpg

View from the south end of their parking lot. They have added a driveway/alley to the I-40 eastbound access road. To the left is the Kabuki Japanese Steakhouse. The the right is the Longhorn Steakhouse. The the immediate right is a new 2 story wood structure of some kind. No sign is on it, it looks like another hotel.

Supercharger flags.jpg

Paydirt !!! Xcel Energy has indeed been here. The southwest corner of the lot has orange paint on the grass, and Xcel Energy flags all over. It appears that the early electrical work is underway.

supercharger2.jpg

CONSTRUCTION IS NOW UNDERWAY !

Stopped by this afternoon to the site, and they were cutting through the asphalt on the existing parking lot. The crew looks like they arrived today and got started immediately.

I asked the foreman when they expected to be done, and they told me to expect about 3 weeks from today.

I also asked about when Denton would start, and their reply was 'that is up to Tesla'.

Last edited:
CONSTRUCTION IS NOW UNDERWAY !

Stopped by this afternoon to the site, and they were cutting through the asphalt on the existing parking lot. The crew looks like the arrived today and got started immediately.

I asked the foreman when they expected to be done, and they told me to expect about 3 weeks from today.

I also asked about when Denton would start, and their reply was 'that is up to Tesla'.

Thanks for posting!

Dengar, I've driven both routes from Amarillo to Dalhart. The route via Boys Ranch and Channing is about 5 RM less energy than going through Dumas. The trip to Dalhart also will start about 5 miles closer, compared to being located at the I27/I40 interchange. The total savings are about 10 RM by leaving from Soncy and routing via Boys Ranch. That becomes important because my Trinidad trip would have had 9 miles RM on arrival had I not stopped in Dalhart for a top up. And that was driving at about 62 mph much of the way. My starting point for this trip was about 2RM away from the Amarillo SC site.

Amarillo to Trinidad, CO supercharger stats - round trip

The people most inconvenienced will be those headed due north, to Dumas, and Guymon, from Lubbock.

Great info, thanks! Where in Dalhart do you top off?

Perfect! What will be finished first, the Supercharger in Amarillo or my Model X?

I am pleased to see this construction started as it will make the drive a bit easier from Shamrock to Tucumcari. The wind is bad enough for Model S, I would hate to run out of range with Model X and beg for power at Russell's. Viewing those classic cars would make the wait to charge up easier. Russells Truck Travel Center

Making good progress. There is a locked portable storage unit on site that probably has charging equipment indside.

Here is a nighttime shot of the charger area conduits in the ground.

Thanks for the picture.

That is a classic set of Conduits for the equipment enclosure with four triplets of conduit (one AC in and two DC out per set) for four Supercharger Cabinets to support eight Supercharger Pedestals.

Thanks for the picture.

That is a classic set of Conduits for the equipment enclosure with four triplets of conduit (one AC in and two DC out per set) for four Supercharger Cabinets to support eight Supercharger Pedestals.

It looks like the transformer pad is immediately behind it which makes sense since the power line pole is also there a little farther back in the picture. ( reference #92 in this thread )

I've been out of town last 4 days so I stopped by the site today. The crew was actually at work on a Sunday. They looked like they were still doing work around the main equipment enclosure area, it had not been filled in with dirt and compacted yet. I suspect that the rain here a few days ago cost them a day.

No pylons are up and nothing erected in the equipment enclosures area.

I'll get photos when there is more substantial progress later this week.

IMO looks like at least a week before completion. I don't see a transformer on site yet either.....

Unfortunately my job schedule has me getting off after dark, so no pictures.

The concrete pad for the equipment enclosure was poured yesterday, and today they were installing equipment in the dirt for each charger pylon.

No actual equipment is installed on the enclosure area yet, just conduits sticking out of concrete.

Based on Denton's photos from today, it looks like we are almost a week ahead of Denton.

No electrical transformer on site yet though, and that has been a delay at other superchargers....