Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged here on Saturday on my ALQ to OKC leg to spend christmas in Frisco, TX. Reddy's S was the first Tesla I had seen since we stopped at the Flagstaff supercharger on Friday. He must have been catching a movie.
Just catching up here...... Yes, I was catching Star Wars The Force Awakens..... Since this is a really low volume charger, I don't feel any guilt about a local catching a few free electrons.

- - - Updated - - -

You probably should contact them, then. I got full rate from stall 1B yesterday.

Yes, but you're not a local... The theory is that we are geofenced and locals get slower charge rates.

- - - Updated - - -

A little off is fine, it's usually close enough to see the chargers. But in this case, it's about 1/4 of a mile off on the opposite side of the road.
I will take some of the blame here. Supercharge.info placed the dot at the Holiday Inn Express on the NORTH side of Business I-40/Amarillo Blvd after I provided them with information that Holiday Inn Express would be getting a supercharger.

We later learned that Holiday Inn Express didn't know the difference between a HPWC and a Supercharger, and they had given me bad information.

Later I found a building permit for Holiday Inn, on the SOUTH side of Business I-40. I notified supercharger.info of the revised address, but they have never moved the dot from the original location I supplied.

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
Yes, but you're not a local... The theory is that we are geofenced and locals get slower charge rates.

Hmmm ... I have charged a few times at the Houston Supercharger and have gotten full rate as well. My house is about 25 miles from the Houston Supercharger though. Perhaps that's outside the "geofenced" area? (If such a thing exists).

I agree with the above ... you need to try the Shamrock, Tucumcari, etc. Superchargers and see if you get full rate there. That would at least eliminate your car from the list of possible causes.

Hmmm ... I have charged a few times at the Houston Supercharger and have gotten full rate as well. My house is about 25 miles from the Houston Supercharger though. Perhaps that's outside the "geofenced" area? (If such a thing exists).

I agree with the above ... you need to try the Shamrock, Tucumcari, etc. Superchargers and see if you get full rate there. That would at least eliminate your car from the list of possible causes.

I have charged at 9 other superchargers. This is the only one that is throttled. The big difference in amps was the clue. I routinely get 300+ amps at all the others.

Just an update on the possible throttling.

I made a round trip to Lubbock recently, and stopped at the Amarillo SC to see again what the rate would be.

I'm happy to report that I got 315 amps at 367 volts this time.

SO,,,, either the pack needs to be fairly warm to get the full rate (by driving more than 30 miles) , or the geofencing gets turns off if you drive out of a certain range......

FYI for anyone planning to use this supercharger.

There is major construction starting today, and exits from east and west to Soncy are CLOSED.

The bridge carrying eastbound traffic is being torn down and replaced, expect this to last until May or June.

Westbound , you now need to exit at COULTER.

Eastbound, the best way is to take the Business I40 / Amarillo Blvd exit right after Hope Road, then follow the Nav to the supercharger. If you miss that exit, you can take Coulter and double back to the I40 access road westbound.

IMG_1332.JPG
I've usually charged in 1A/1B, the other day that spot was taken so I parked in another, and then I noticed the lines don't match the stalls!

Complete morons that painted these!

Charged here this am on my way to Lubbock. For some reason, even though I'm driving a Model 3 Tesla did not charge me for the session (59 kWh). Not that I'm complaining, but does anyone know why this is? The charge rate was fine (peaked at around 465 mph).