Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, TX - East Interstate 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mmmmm free 72oz steak!!
The Big Texan also has FREE Limousine service to the restaurant. I bet they would even pick you up at the Supercharger and take you to eat while your car charged. I have noticed during the many times I pass both of the Amarillo Superchargers, the new East side charger has never had more than two cars (twelve stalls available), while the West side (8 stalls available) is usually very busy and a few times with cars queued up waiting in line.

I have noticed during the many times I pass both of the Amarillo Superchargers, the new East side charger has never had more than two cars (twelve stalls available), while the West side (8 stalls available) is usually very busy and a few times with cars queued up waiting in line.
I can see the available stalls on my Nav whenever I drive around Amarillo. I'm surprised that most cars are still going to the old location, and the new one seems lightly used. It may be force of habit. For people driving a Tesla to Amarillo for the first time, would prefer a location with more stalls available and 250kW instead of 150kW.

It's unlikely that people are choosing based on reading the stuff here on TMC. Most Tesla drivers aren't on this forum.

FWIW, there are many times of day that the total census at both locations is above 8, which is the capacity of the old location. So the new location was really just in time. Without it there would be significant fraction of time where there was a wait. Up until this year, waits were almost non existent in Amarillo.

Some of you are wondering why the old 150s on the west are still overloaded.

In my case, I come up from Lubbock on the way to Denver and the east side would be well of the way.

What eating choices are there on the east side besides Wendy’s?

Some of you are wondering why the old 150s on the west are still overloaded.

In my case, I come up from Lubbock on the way to Denver and the east side would be well of the way.

What eating choices are there on the east side besides Wendy’s?
Mitch's BBQ in same bldg as Wendys and across the HWY truck stop diners and a McDonalds. Not much else within walking distance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cigar Man and CarlS
Hey Reddy! Saw your car in the Sam's parking lot a short while ago. We go by there occasionally to see what's charging at the EA chargers. Seen a surprising number of Rivians. :)
Too bad we didn’t get to meet up. I park there mostly since it’s far enough away from the store to avoid door dings.

A surprising number of EVs are charging at the EA site now. I saw a Ford F150 Lightning, lots of Mustangs, a few Rivians. I’m happy to see more EVs on the road of all types.

I just tried the EA charger at Sam’s with the Tesla CCS adapter . It would actually be less expensive than using the Tesla supercharger and just as fast.
Really! I have the Setec CCS adapter. It has been ... entertaining to use on my current trip, but I have managed to get it to work with some Chargepoint chargers. I have yet to exceed 50 kW with it - it sounds like you have the Tesla one... is it that much faster?

Really! I have the Setec CCS adapter. It has been ... entertaining to use on my current trip, but I have managed to get it to work with some Chargepoint chargers. I have yet to exceed 50 kW with it - it sounds like you have the Tesla one... is it that much faster?
I got 202 kW from an Electrify America station here in Amarillo. It was labeled 350 kW. In total it delivered 60 kwh in 29 minutes going from 29% charge to 85% . Price was 32c per minute. Less than half the cost of the local Tesla supercharger. Tesla really needs to sell these CCS adapters in USA, but now I see why they are dragging their feet. If we can get equivalent or better charge rates at EA stations , why use Tesla ? Competition on price will be a good thing.

I got 202 kW from an Electrify America station here in Amarillo. It was labeled 350 kW. In total it delivered 60 kwh in 29 minutes going from 29% charge to 85% . Price was 32c per minute. Less than half the cost of the local Tesla supercharger. Tesla really needs to sell these CCS adapters in USA, but now I see why they are dragging their feet. If we can get equivalent or better charge rates at EA stations , why use Tesla ? Competition on price will be a good thing.
that's hard to beat... especially when you are charging very fast. at just 15.4cents/ kwh not sustainable for EA though (?) ... we already pay 12+ cents all in for our residential plan in North Texas.

is Buc ee's getting SCs at their location as well? Amarillo with 2x SCs and 1x EA is pretty well served now
Honestly, I would expect fast CCS or Tesla chargers at every newly constructed Buc ees built from now on.

With so many makes now beginning large scale EV production the demand is there now, and building fast. Add in that Teslas now can use CCS, with an inexpensive adapter. Every time I drive by our local EA site in Amarillo there are 1 - 3 cars there. And they only have 4 spots, with one usually broken.

We’ve arrived at the inflection point.