Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Amarillo, TX - East Interstate 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

reddy

Jan 26, 2013
Amarillo, TX
Another contact tells me Amarillo is getting a second supercharger, and this time it's a fabulous location. The "Toot N Totem" facility at I-40 and Lakeside.

This is on the east side of town and would compliment the one on the west side of town. Neither one is super convenient to I-27, but this is on Loop 335 so if you were heading on I-27 north from Lubbock you could take 335 while south of Amarillo, and take it up to this super charger, then get back on 335 north to merge back in with Hwy 287 to Dumas.

This one has two restaurants - A barbeque and a Wendys.
A playground
A dog park
A large travel oriented convenience store
Large clean bathrooms

IMO this would be on par with a Buc-ees , and better than the facilities at Henrietta and Alvarado.

It is very close to Rick Husband Amarillo Internation Airport, just one stop west of the airport exit.

I haven't been able to pull any TDLR or Amarillo permits, but construction is supposed to be 'imminent'.

I stopped by this morning, and there were two areas with marker flags out, but no digging. I asked at the checkout area, and they were unaware of a supercharger, but added "We are usually the last to know".

The existing circa 2015 Amarillo charger is V2, so if this one is a V3 it will be the preferred stop for east-west traffic on I40.

Last edited:
Amarillo - East, TX

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Toot'n Totum
Along Primary Interstates: I-40
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-60, US-287
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-40

To: Shamrock, TX - 89.1 miles
Diversion: 2.1 miles
To: Weatherford, OK - 187.7 miles

US-60

To: Miner, MO - 798.3 miles
Diversion: 6.6 miles
To: Louisville, KY - 1104.7 miles

US-287

To: Lamar, CO - 221.1 miles
Diversion: 0 miles
To: Limon, CO - 340.2 miles

V3 in Amarillo, TX. Helpful on I-40.

Biut, what's more exciting to me (as a Supercharger nerd) is that this is a splitter on two US Numbered Highways.

It will split the largest gap on the US Numbered Highways, the 1152.8 miles on US-60 from (the not yet built) Socorro, NM to Miner, MO. The open gap from Wickenburg, AZ to Miner, MO is actually 1583 miles.

It is also a splitter on US-287, the 330.1 miles between Childress, TX and (not yet built) Lamar, CO.

The existing Amarillo, TX Supercharger is a greater than 10 miles from those highways.

Interesting that we are seeing Tesla SCs in Buc-ee's- I think there are 4 now in various state of consideration. There is a strong rumor that Buc-ee's is planing at 35.191732, -101.722994 about ½ E of this location. I wonder if Buc-ees is pitching woo to Tesla to reconsider their plan at TnT since construction is not yet in progress. Just a thought.

Reactions: cmy4x4
Interesting that we are seeing Tesla SCs in Buc-ee's- I think there are 4 now in various state of consideration. There is a strong rumor that Buc-ee's is planing at 35.191732, -101.722994 about ½ E of this location. I wonder if Buc-ees is pitching woo to Tesla to reconsider their plan at TnT since construction is not yet in progress. Just a thought.
The Buc-ee's at I-40 and Airport Blvd is not just a rumor, it is definitely happening.

Honestly either location would be a great place for a supercharger.

In my 3 year crystal ball, both places will offer competitive supercharging, and I may need to use my Tesla CCS adapter at the Buc-ee's.

More info on the Buc-ees location. Looks like there are some legal issues with the land. Bucc-ees doesn’t own the property yet, and the next door neighbor is an truck oil change business who was recently purchased by Loves, who has an easement on some of the property.

If interested , here it is

48D6667F-A15F-4406-B466-FA22ED9ED6E5.jpeg
BE665290-586D-4A88-ABDA-8B127A34A3B5.jpeg
36C430AB-E7BF-46A8-B42F-EA7EA9D17F1B.jpeg

Other comments I heard:
12 spaces

v3 250 kw, BUT
Xcel Energy is only able to supply 80% of the total demand so in the event that 12 cars arrive simultaneously drawing 250kW, only 200kW will be available per car. If 8 cars arrive all asking for 250kW, they will get 250 kw.

Crew just arrived from a recently completed supercharger in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlS
Xcel Energy is only able to supply 80% of the total demand so in the event that 12 cars arrive simultaneously drawing 250kW, only 200kW will be available per car. If 8 cars arrive all asking for 250kW, they will get 250 kw.
V3 cabinets have a nominal AC input of 350kVA split between 4 stalls, so it's probably 80% of 3 cabinets (840kVA). 65kW per car (after AC»DC losses) if the site was full of vehicles with a low SoC and warm batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4
V3 cabinets have a nominal AC input of 350kVA split between 4 stalls, so it's probably 80% of 3 cabinets (840kVA). 65kW per car (after AC»DC losses) if the site was full of vehicles with a low SoC and warm batteries.
That makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying. Since this is at the intersection of two interstates, I could envision multiple vehicles with low SoC and warm batteries actually happening.