TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger and Service center: Houston, Texas @ Airtex Industrial Center

Discussion in 'Texas' started by polything, Jun 22, 2015.

1. polything

polything Member

Will the search for Houston's first super charger station ends here @ Airtex Industrial Center (Pics shown 6 stalls)

14810 NORTH FWY

HOUSTON TX 77073

Plan Review Details

Harris County
    10555 Northwest Freeway
    DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE
    Suite 146
    Architecture and Engineering Division
    Houston, TX 77092-8620
    PERMIT OFFICE
    (713)956-3000
    Project Number:PRJ0002039300
    Project Name:TESLA HOUSTON SERVICE CENTER
    Consultant:ELDER-JONES
    Contact Person:Sarah NielsenPhone:952.854.0821
    Received On:4/24/2015 8:08:35 PMKeymap #:372C
    Current Location:Returned to ClientHCFCD Notification Required?No
    Approved:YesHCAD Tax Numbers:1317540010001

Attached Files:

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Could this be the coming soon dot for Houston on the supercharger map, not east I-10 as we all assumed?

3. polything

polything Member

I10 would make more sense. I45 @ Airtex is trek northward for west bound drivers.

4. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I didn't expect a Supercharger here, but it really helps in reaching the intercontinental airport! And a good place for a service center, quite convenient for owners in The Woodlands...

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I think this was a matter of opportunity rather than planning where in the Houston metro area a supercharger would help the most (I-10 east of Houston to fill in the I-10 gap, hint hint). They had the space and the available power, being an industrial park. It could be used for east-west travel by going around the Sam Houston tollway rather than through the city, yes it's out of the way but better than nothing until the I-10 gap is filled. Also it may enable travel from the north side of Austin to the north side of Houston using US 290 rather than having to go south to Hwy 71 to I-10 through Columbus. And until there is a supercharger south of Houston, it may help travel heading south on I-45 through Houston heading to the Clear Lake or Galveston area, it's 60 miles closer to the destination than Huntsville. It wouldn't have been my choice of location, but another supercharger is always a good thing.

6. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

I predict an increase in number of stalls there within a year.

7. polything

polything Member

I too predict an increase of number of Tesla on the road. Great minds think alike!

8. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

#8 SW2Fiddler, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    edit: Supercharge.info has been notified
    Mapped route says 156 Miles to Lake Charles from here if taking the Tollway.
    It may indeed be an opportune enabler for Central Texas while Baytown is negotiated, but it is not at all near where the I-10 "Coming Soon" pin is.

UPDATE
    29.980259,-95.421559
    No transformer placed, instead they are feeding three INDOOR SC Cabinets with huge breakers, did I hear 1800 Amp? This means no waiting for Transformer delivery and utility turn-on, but there is also a big huge generator parked in front.

The SC cabinets are inside the service bay, which has big windows in front and two doors and a loading dock in back.
    Stalls are poured in the curb up front.
    Normal "thick" Supercharger cables (I knew people would ask this).

Service Center: Nice looking facility, huge logos visible from the freeway. Easy on/off from 45 or from Beltway 8 a couple exits to the south. No killer steep driveway pitch like at Westchase. :)

The crew were curious about the car. Questions about range, the usual.

9. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

#9 SW2Fiddler, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Around the back
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435167317.470545.jpg
    The power for the site
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435167369.121613.jpg
    Coming back around to the front
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435167440.070259.jpg
    Big T
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435167450.853765.jpg

I sketched in where the 3 Supercharger cabinets are, you can see them thru the window in person but not in photos:
    Cabinets.jpg

10. snellenr

snellenr Member

Pro tip: Always enter the Westchase parking lot at the north end of the building, not the entrance in front of the Tesla logo. No mountain climbing or suspension raising required.

Early 2014 P85 and not especially interested in autopilot, ACC, or MIL speed limit alerts -- but my interest picks up for a sensor suite that can do some quick trigonometry and automagically raise the suspension fast enough to avoid unnecessary battery polishing!

11. gnelson

gnelson Member

My air suspension automatically raises to very high when approaching the SC. I have also added that location to some loaners so they auto-raise.

12. polything

polything Member

we never had to raise suspension at the west chase sc. just angle it in, car will clear the "hill"

13. Tyl

Tyl Member

Awesome find everyone! I love it when a new site just pops on our radar screens! It sure looks like a huge facility. Are there any Bi-directional battery packs on site? More and more new sites seem to have the Bi-directional battery packs installed at the same time as the Utility Cabinets/Superchargers/Superchargering Pedestals.

14. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

#14 SW2Fiddler, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    I did not think to ask, but all of that is indoors except the charging pedestals themselves. ...I didn't climb to the roof to look for solar panels either!
    Will look for Permit/Inspection status to indicate possible estimate of opening. Since there's no enclosure to build, and no utility-provided Transformer to wait on, it'll hinge on inspection and Tesla Motors commissioning.
    It sure looked to me like the pedestal wiring could have been completed yesterday... (the reason for no pic of the front was that workers were swarming the pedestals, making those connections)

15. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Wow, you're slipping. FAIL! :)

16. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Indeed. The high-school version of me would have made the ascent as part of the back-of-building recon, even with work crews present. What ever HAPPENED to that Gonzo fiddler? :p

17. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

LOL - we've never met but I'm still picturing you shimmying up the gutter downspout to recon the roof...

18. polything

polything Member

climbing in unsafe; someone has a drone?
    will Tesla do a grand opening event?

19. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Hot Dogs and a Bounce Castle

My guess:
    No event until the actual Service Center opens, then maybe some barbecue, and guided tours, and something for the kids... Supercharger will be energized sooner, quietly except for an email sent out to local owners within a few days.

My .02 kWh worth

Rick

20. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

#20 SW2Fiddler, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    Stallards are done and look nice.
    Wiring is being connected now (as I post) inside the three, round-cowled Supercharger cabinets.
    Pano pics to come when I am back in a Wi-Fi zone :)

You can see the indoor Supercharger cabinet here between the two far right stallards.
    03e8b5489bf7837e78ee44ca416c94b2.jpg

Overall shot.

f7f6581d0a05f99bdd694b108d9c023c.jpg