Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger and Service center: Houston, Texas @ Airtex Industrial Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the search for Houston's first super charger station ends here @ Airtex Industrial Center (Pics shown 6 stalls)

14810 NORTH FWY

HOUSTON TX 77073

Plan Review Details

Harris County
10555 Northwest Freeway
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE
Suite 146
Architecture and Engineering Division
Houston, TX 77092-8620
PERMIT OFFICE
(713)956-3000
Project Number:PRJ0002039300
Project Name:TESLA HOUSTON SERVICE CENTER
Consultant:ELDER-JONES
Contact Person:Sarah NielsenPhone:952.854.0821
Received On:4/24/2015 8:08:35 PMKeymap #:372C
Current Location:Returned to ClientHCFCD Notification Required?No
Approved:YesHCAD Tax Numbers:1317540010001

Attachments

• Captu1re.PNG
    Captu1re.PNG
    592.2 KB · Views: 1,824
  • Captur1e.PNG
    Captur1e.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 1,802
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 1,849
I think this was a matter of opportunity rather than planning where in the Houston metro area a supercharger would help the most (I-10 east of Houston to fill in the I-10 gap, hint hint). They had the space and the available power, being an industrial park. It could be used for east-west travel by going around the Sam Houston tollway rather than through the city, yes it's out of the way but better than nothing until the I-10 gap is filled. Also it may enable travel from the north side of Austin to the north side of Houston using US 290 rather than having to go south to Hwy 71 to I-10 through Columbus. And until there is a supercharger south of Houston, it may help travel heading south on I-45 through Houston heading to the Clear Lake or Galveston area, it's 60 miles closer to the destination than Huntsville. It wouldn't have been my choice of location, but another supercharger is always a good thing.

edit: Supercharge.info has been notified
Mapped route says 156 Miles to Lake Charles from here if taking the Tollway.
It may indeed be an opportune enabler for Central Texas while Baytown is negotiated, but it is not at all near where the I-10 "Coming Soon" pin is.

UPDATE
29.980259,-95.421559
No transformer placed, instead they are feeding three INDOOR SC Cabinets with huge breakers, did I hear 1800 Amp? This means no waiting for Transformer delivery and utility turn-on, but there is also a big huge generator parked in front.

The SC cabinets are inside the service bay, which has big windows in front and two doors and a loading dock in back.
Stalls are poured in the curb up front.
Normal "thick" Supercharger cables (I knew people would ask this).

Service Center: Nice looking facility, huge logos visible from the freeway. Easy on/off from 45 or from Beltway 8 a couple exits to the south. No killer steep driveway pitch like at Westchase. :)

The crew were curious about the car. Questions about range, the usual.

Last edited:
Service Center: Nice looking facility, huge logos visible from the freeway. Easy on/off from 45 or from Beltway 8 a couple exits to the south. No killer steep driveway pitch like at Westchase. :)

Pro tip: Always enter the Westchase parking lot at the north end of the building, not the entrance in front of the Tesla logo. No mountain climbing or suspension raising required.

Early 2014 P85 and not especially interested in autopilot, ACC, or MIL speed limit alerts -- but my interest picks up for a sensor suite that can do some quick trigonometry and automagically raise the suspension fast enough to avoid unnecessary battery polishing!

Pro tip: Always enter the Westchase parking lot at the north end of the building, not the entrance in front of the Tesla logo. No mountain climbing or suspension raising required.

Early 2014 P85 and not especially interested in autopilot, ACC, or MIL speed limit alerts -- but my interest picks up for a sensor suite that can do some quick trigonometry and automagically raise the suspension fast enough to avoid unnecessary battery polishing!

My air suspension automatically raises to very high when approaching the SC. I have also added that location to some loaners so they auto-raise.

Awesome find everyone! I love it when a new site just pops on our radar screens! It sure looks like a huge facility. Are there any Bi-directional battery packs on site? More and more new sites seem to have the Bi-directional battery packs installed at the same time as the Utility Cabinets/Superchargers/Superchargering Pedestals.

Awesome find everyone! I love it when a new site just pops on our radar screens! It sure looks like a huge facility. Are there any Bi-directional battery packs on site? More and more new sites seem to have the Bi-directional battery packs installed at the same time as the Utility Cabinets/Superchargers/Superchargering Pedestals.
I did not think to ask, but all of that is indoors except the charging pedestals themselves. ...I didn't climb to the roof to look for solar panels either!
Will look for Permit/Inspection status to indicate possible estimate of opening. Since there's no enclosure to build, and no utility-provided Transformer to wait on, it'll hinge on inspection and Tesla Motors commissioning.
It sure looked to me like the pedestal wiring could have been completed yesterday... (the reason for no pic of the front was that workers were swarming the pedestals, making those connections)

Last edited:
Stallards are done and look nice.
Wiring is being connected now (as I post) inside the three, round-cowled Supercharger cabinets.
Pano pics to come when I am back in a Wi-Fi zone :)

You can see the indoor Supercharger cabinet here between the two far right stallards.
03e8b5489bf7837e78ee44ca416c94b2.jpg

Overall shot.

f7f6581d0a05f99bdd694b108d9c023c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett