Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Angola IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the otherwise wonderful supercharger.info website, I just clicked on the Angola IN 'discuss' button and got Mishawaka IN instead. Does anybody know who to contact to get supercharger.info to fix that link -- Angola's an early, funky, sometimes maddening Supercharger location that deserves a little conversation.

On the otherwise wonderful supercharger.info website, I just clicked on the Angola IN 'discuss' button and got Mishawaka IN instead. Does anybody know who to contact to get supercharger.info to fix that link -- Angola's an early, funky, sometimes maddening Supercharger location that deserves a little conversation.
Turns out TMC didn’t have a thread that was specific to Angola IN — so I made this one, and moved your post to here.

Now that there is a new dedicated discussion thread, we can ask @BlueShift to update the Angola link on SC.info. Thanks for pointing this out.

I visited the Angola, Indiana, Supercharger this morning in my Model S with 36 miles estimated range remaining. I backed into the nearest charger (sixth of six), labeled 2B and began charging. Because this charger was only logging at about 70 kW and 80 mi/hr of charging, I moved left all the way to 2A (second of six) which delivered a good 121 kW and 414 mi/hr.

I also did a little walking tour during my charge on 2A. That far-right 2B charger appears to be mislabeled since it’s next to another charger also labeled 2B (fifth of six). And this one had a dangling charge-cord (maybe a signal that the charger is inoperative?), which is right of a missing charger sign that was snapped or cut off at the base.

Probably in 2017 I visited this same Angola Supercharger and found (as did a relative later in his own Model S) that one of the center-located chargers was completely dead — my only dead-Supercharger experience in 6+ years of ownership.

I’ll report this to [email protected] and hope they can give the Angola Supercharger a little love.

Several stations 3 out of 6 do not work. Some only get 70 miles/ hour. 2B does not work. Three Model Xs are charging and app states only 1/6 stations are free. This Supercharger needs a huge refresh/repair. The restaurant is only open for dinner on Sundays and there is nothing in walking distance from this Supercharger. There needs to be a better location in this region between Cleveland and Chicago. And unfortunately my 100D only got 220 miles on a full charge.

Last edited:
Regardless, this charging station needs a nearby alternative, as it is often full (with only 6 stations with slow undependable charging) and it is not worth the expense of adding more stalls here since there is nothing at the site other than a single restaurant with limited hours and a nearly vacant Ramada that is in dire need of a renovation but understandably doesn't since it's so isolated.

I charged my Model S at Angola last Thursday (20May2021) with no issues. Lunch at the adjacent “6 Autumns” restaurant was great as always. The restaurant is closed on Sundays now, hopefully business will start picking up this year and they will be able to resume seven day per week operation someday.

It looks like Tesla may have installed new supercharger cabinets. Not sure, but this is one of the first cross-country supercharger installs, and they sure look new (photos attached). Also, they have the little step-up transformers mounted on top. Tesla did not start using these transformers until several years after Angola first went active. Back then, there was a wooden fence hiding the supercharger equipment. This is my first visit after the dense was removed. Perhaps the step-up transformers will help provide more consistent charging experiences from now on.

GSP

3EAE6CDE-A281-433B-A6CA-62A19570C029.jpegFBA3B380-9B2D-452E-9A31-E77CF8C806CB.jpeg

Reactions: SunCharged
I was traveling through from Twin Cities to the east coast on a family vacation. I've driven this stretch of the turnpike 4-5 times since getting my car in late 2019. I had bypassed Angola the last few times in favor of all the SC's now available at the travel plaza's, but since we now have a dog, this trip I used Angola again because the Ramada is "pet friendly". The SC is doing it's job perfectly and I staying at hotel with an SC out front is great. Free destination charging at hotels is nice but there is always the potential of the spots being Iced or occupied if more EV's book rooms than there are spots.

Unfortunately, the following occurred. This is not Tesla's fault in any way, but incase anyone happens to check this forum while planning a trip, I hope I can prevent anyone else from having to deal with these clowns.

I booked a room online at the Angola Ramada for 6/23/22. We found that stay to be quite acceptable and the following morning when I checked out I booked a room for our drive home 2 weeks later right at the front desk.

On 7/7 we arrived back at the hotel on our drive home. Imagine my surprise when they presented me with a bill for the room that was 20% higher than the price I payed two weeks ago. Additionally they had DOUBLED the pet deposit.

It was after 9pm, I was traveling with a dog and two kids, and I had just driven over 500 miles, I did not have the energy to search for another hotel. When we got into our room I went online to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering what I had paid two weeks ago.

When I checked the Ramada website, I could still book the same room we had stayed in two weeks prior that same night for $40 less than I was currently being charged, and the pet deposit was still listed at the original rate. When I went back to the front desk, the clerk gave me some line about "well we raised our rates but haven't updated the website". When I pointed out that if Target mis-prices something on the shelf, they honor that price no matter what the computer says, they threatened to kick me out of the hotel.

Needless to say when I speak to Bonnie Comer, the hotel manager, at checkout tomorrow morning, she has a very high hill to climb if I am ever to patronize a Ramada/Wyndam property again.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I was traveling through from Twin Cities to the east coast on a family vacation. I've driven this stretch of the turnpike 4-5 times since getting my car in late 2019. I had bypassed Angola the last few times in favor of all the SC's now available at the travel plaza's, but since we now have a dog, this trip I used Angola again because the Ramada is "pet friendly". The SC is doing it's job perfectly and I staying at hotel with an SC out front is great. Free destination charging at hotels is nice but there is always the potential of the spots being Iced or occupied if more EV's book rooms than there are spots.

Unfortunately, the following occurred. This is not Tesla's fault in any way, but incase anyone happens to check this forum while planning a trip, I hope I can prevent anyone else from having to deal with these clowns.

I booked a room online at the Angola Ramada for 6/23/22. We found that stay to be quite acceptable and the following morning when I checked out I booked a room for our drive home 2 weeks later right at the front desk.

On 7/7 we arrived back at the hotel on our drive home. Imagine my surprise when they presented me with a bill for the room that was 20% higher than the price I payed two weeks ago. Additionally they had DOUBLED the pet deposit.

It was after 9pm, I was traveling with a dog and two kids, and I had just driven over 500 miles, I did not have the energy to search for another hotel. When we got into our room I went online to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering what I had paid two weeks ago.

When I checked the Ramada website, I could still book the same room we had stayed in two weeks prior that same night for $40 less than I was currently being charged, and the pet deposit was still listed at the original rate. When I went back to the front desk, the clerk gave me some line about "well we raised our rates but haven't updated the website". When I pointed out that if Target mis-prices something on the shelf, they honor that price no matter what the computer says, they threatened to kick me out of the hotel.

Needless to say when I speak to Bonnie Comer, the hotel manager, at checkout tomorrow morning, she has a very high hill to climb if I am ever to patronize a Ramada/Wyndam property again.
I would never assume that the price of a hotel room would be the same on a different night. Hotels regularly change rates based on many factors. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it sounds like you booked the room 2 weeks in advance and just assumed you'd be getting the same rate? If there is a problem with the rate, the time to sort it out is at check-in. Once you have signed off on it and checked in to your room, you have agreed to that rate, regardless if you later find a cheaper rate online or anywhere else.

Most Ramadas (and Wyndham) properties suck. No arguments there. They are the bottom-feeders of the major national chains.