Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Annapolis MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
589D5237-08EC-47EE-A16A-A186715EEC3C.jpeg
Looks like Annapolis is 150kW now. With a 2015 Model S 85 I started at over 120kW after pre warming battery on the drive with software update 2019.12.11. Looks
like the other regular Superchargers are now 150kW in DC area.

Looks like Annapolis is 150kW now. With a 2015 Model S 85 I started at over 120kW after pre warming battery on the drive with software update 2019.12.11. Looks
like the other regular Superchargers are now 150kW in DC area.

Thank you for the report! Please report other stations with >120 kW capacity in the threads for those stations or in the Maryland Superchargers thread.

I spoke to a mobile tech and he told me cell service at that supercharger is very poor (for AT&T) so many times the stations report offline but aren’t. I’ve charged there several times without issue and the Nav is always way off on the number of stalls in use.

It also depends on the state of charge your battery is at when you show up... If you're already rather full then you won't get the max power out of the SC's. Show up with only 10-15% in your battery and you should see a higher number. Provided you're not paired with someone else which can also affect how much you get.

But no...older MS or MX will not get 150kW out of these things.

I've never heard of Tesla slowing the charge rate for anyone based on geography either. That's not a thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Thinkje
...I've never heard of Tesla slowing the charge rate for anyone based on geography either. That's not a thing.

I haven’t paid enough attention, but do recall an interview some time ago with JB and Elon talking about ways to discourage locals from using the stations meant for Long distance vs urban. Throttling was one, to make it not worth their time to sit there vs charging at home. In my case, the time I spend in target, or Whole Foods, do I really need a charge, no, but I’ve contributed $4,000 in my vehicles to use the network. Both purchased before that cost was removed from the base.

lve travelled coast to coast, and up and down the east coast via SC’s over the past several years. Familiar with what to expect, and when to call service. Back in 2013, they would pick up after the first ring. These days, I can drive 45 minutes home and still be on hold to ask about a stall vs the vehicle not working right. so I turn to the forums, see if anyone else reports something unusual.

I haven’t paid enough attention, but do recall an interview some time ago with JB and Elon talking about ways to discourage locals from using the stations meant for Long distance vs urban. Throttling was one, to make it not worth their time to sit there vs charging at home. In my case, the time I spend in target, or Whole Foods, do I really need a charge, no, but I’ve contributed $4,000 in my vehicles to use the network. Both purchased before that cost was removed from the base.

lve travelled coast to coast, and up and down the east coast via SC’s over the past several years. Familiar with what to expect, and when to call service. Back in 2013, they would pick up after the first ring. These days, I can drive 45 minutes home and still be on hold to ask about a stall vs the vehicle not working right. so I turn to the forums, see if anyone else reports something unusual.
As a “local”, I charge here about once a week early in the morning. I have a 2015 modelS 85D. I will initially see a charge rate of 125kW, but it drops very quickly. In the past, I would see a sum total of 120 when adding the charge rate in kW to the state of charge of my battery in kW. I am now seeing about 100 when adding the 2 together after a few minutes. I have used most of the stalls here and feel something is wrong with getting maximum power over the charging session.

I haven’t paid enough attention, but do recall an interview some time ago with JB and Elon talking about ways to discourage locals from using the stations meant for Long distance vs urban. Throttling was one, to make it not worth their time to sit there vs charging at home.

With the Model 3 coming on the scene and more and more people having to pay to use the SC none of that ever happened. I recently read an article that said that even used Teslas (sold by Tesla) would lose the Free Unlimited Super Charging that used to be tied to the car. So those of us that have it on our cars can still use it, but it's slowly being phased out almost entirely.

Ok, if this isn’t throttling, anyone recognize this charge pattern?

I tested a 2% - 90% charge in mild weather at Annapolis this morning. Good news, old Model X p100d’s Can get 150kw. One other item to be aware of the radiator fan was only running until about 8:32am, then no longer needed to remove heat and shut off after slowing down.
D384B9E7-DE19-4CF9-82A9-ACA9C1E8EB8E.jpeg

And for comparison a recent charge at Hagerstown, MD with the same vehicle. Notice the nice taper on charge current. Oh and fans run constantly there for max charge current.
3D469669-1D8E-4DCF-97CA-1A5180C777DC.jpeg