Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Announcement 2013/05/30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, I don't think you get it. for now, a TT30 requires a 5-15 adapter for use with the UMC, dropping you down to 12A, thats about 3 mph. if your destination only has TT30's, which a remarkable number of camp/RV sites around here do, you are looking at several days of 24 hour charging... it took me 64 hours last weekend to go from a 20% SOC to 95%. the fact is, round trip is the true range limit in such cases for anything but long stays at a single place, so no, the Olympic Peninsula is not covered.

Really, Tesla and everyone else should look at what Oregon is doing with it's CHAdeMO network to see a shining example of a very well thought out fast charging network. It includes multiple metro QC's and QC's going out along major scenic byways, it's tourism brilliance. Oregon is way ahead of everyone else and yes I'm jealous, particularly because I'd love to plug into even a small fraction of those QC's! this CHAdeMO issue is not going to go away, it's only going to get worse and it appears Tesla has no idea how insulting it is to us Tesla owners in this area to not have access to an adapter. I'd prefer a Supercharger to a CHAdeMo QC any day, but I'd take CHAdeMO over a TT30 any day just like I'd take a TT30 over a 5-15. the lack of a CHAdeMO adapter and a TT30 adapter will not be made up for by the current plans for super charging, not without several more super chargers in key locations along the scenic byway of rt 2 and the Olympic circle.

Actually, I do get it. All I'm saying is that the Supercharger network is simply not designed to be a facility for charging at the origin or destination. The problem you describe is very real, but it's not the problem they are trying to solve with the Superchargers. The idea is that your problem *should* solve itself, as EVs gain in popularity. But bearing in mind the cost of Supercharger stations, the network is designed to have solve the most pressing problem, and that is being able to get from your origin to your destination.

That being said, I count at least 20 RV parks advertising 50Amp service on the peninsula, with at least two of them being KOAs. Is it really possible that none of them have 14-50s?

Well, I certainly noticed the changes to the long-term map in my neck of the woods (I live an hour northwest of Boston).

For one, it appears that they're going to put an SC in the Hooksett NH rest area on I-93 (between Manchester and Concord NH) that's being totally re-done (new contracts were signed days ago) with restaurants, shops, our practically-mandatory state liquor store and (how quaint) a GAS station.

The dot for White River Junction is still there (I-89 & I-91 junction) - for me that would be a perfect spot to stop on my trips to Montreal.

But I noticed a couple of new red dots around the south side of Lake Champlain and Burlington VT. Those would make even *better* stops on my formerly-annual Montreal trip.

Nothing much for the person driving to Cape Cod - closest new dot I saw seems to be in Rhode Island.

But it does look like the Mass Pike (I-90) will be well served. I'd guess the new dots would be at the Palmer service area.

The CHAdeMO adapter, at least in the PNW, would instantly provide Tesla with the infill that we're all talking about. SC's along the major highways, and the CHAdeMo QC for out along the coast and elsewhere.

And if Model S owners had the adapter, that would add pressure and motivation to build out the CHAdeMo stations as an alternative charging source. Considering how many there are, I'd bet those QC stations don't cost as much as the Tesla SC stations to install.

Well, I certainly noticed the changes to the long-term map in my neck of the woods (I live an hour northwest of Boston).

For one, it appears that they're going to put an SC in the Hooksett NH rest area on I-93 (between Manchester and Concord NH) that's being totally re-done (new contracts were signed days ago) with restaurants, shops, our practically-mandatory state liquor store and (how quaint) a GAS station.

The dot for White River Junction is still there (I-89 & I-91 junction) - for me that would be a perfect spot to stop on my trips to Montreal.

But I noticed a couple of new red dots around the south side of Lake Champlain and Burlington VT. Those would make even *better* stops on my formerly-annual Montreal trip.

Nothing much for the person driving to Cape Cod - closest new dot I saw seems to be in Rhode Island.

But it does look like the Mass Pike (I-90) will be well served. I'd guess the new dots would be at the Palmer service area.

So the dot (in 2014) that appears to the west of the Palmer dot must be near Springfield, perhaps where 91 meets the Mass Pike?

I too think it will be at 91 and the Mass Pike in Chicopee. There's another that looks like it's at Auburn for the Mass Pike to 290N route.
I agree that the Cape isn't well served at all. The one in Providence seems well suited for NY -> Cape Code, but anyone coming from the north to Cape Code has a problem unless they can charge there (good luck!). I think they need one at the intersection of the Mass Pike and 128, and that would still be tough for a 60 KWh car going to the Wellfleet Oyster Festival.

I too think it will be at 91 and the Mass Pike in Chicopee. There's another that looks like it's at Auburn for the Mass Pike to 290N route.
I agree that the Cape isn't well served at all. The one in Providence seems well suited for NY -> Cape Code, but anyone coming from the north to Cape Code has a problem unless they can charge there (good luck!). I think they need one at the intersection of the Mass Pike and 128, and that would still be tough for a 60 KWh car going to the Wellfleet Oyster Festival.

My guess is the first Pike one is at the Charlton service area near I-84 exit, the second one at Palmer.

Boston to Provincetown is only 120 miles so shouldn't require supercharger. IMO Cape people need to lobby local businesses to put in J1772s or install 240v plugs at their homes.

June is over... Tesla's website only shows 13 superchargers... Not triple by the "end of next month".... Instead it looks like it will be "by the end of summer"

I always interpreted the triple the number of stations by end of June as counting individual stations in a single site separately. I think if you count the two imminent ones in WA state you might be there. But sure, moar beer, range, recharging sites is always good.

Are you saying they are going to build a SC in White River JCT, Burlington and Lake C? That would be great for me, I am looking for a way to go to Ogunquit from Montreal in the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Where can we find out where the next SC stations are going to be build?

There are still no superchargers on the cape. The Orleans station is under construction however and there are several destination chargers available. We charged at the ChargePoint chargers at the pier in P-Town while both on a whale watch and during dinner and were able to get more than enough to get us down to the next supercharger on our way home. Warning however - there are 4 spots but someone drove away w/ the far left nozzle still in their car so that one is currently broken. The spots are up front to the right of the gate and then over at the other side of the parking lot up front. Charging is only $1.50/hour at 25 kw/h which is cheaper than parking and not charging. There is also charging at The Pilgrim House while you stay.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla