Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Arlington, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh dear Lord I hope not! Those handcap spots will fill with ANY event and then no Teslas could charge at all. They should really put them at the back (SW side) of the parking lot behind the convention center. This business of making handicap spots also EV charging spots really puts two minority groups against each other, the physically disabled and the electric vehicle driving public. SUCH a bad idea.

Agreed. I really hate this practice. I feel guilty doing it (even though I know it's OK), and I'm sure other people who don't realize that they double as charging spots think you are a horrible person for parking in a handicapped space.

I wish businesses that install charging stations would put them at the BACK of the parking lot. I would be willing to walk farther through the parking lot to avoid having to park in a handicapped space, or, worse yet, not being able to charge at all because the charging spots (prime spots right next to the door) are ICEd.

Agreed. I really hate this practice. I feel guilty doing it (even though I know it's OK), and I'm sure other people who don't realize that they double as charging spots think you are a horrible person for parking in a handicapped space.

I wish businesses that install charging stations would put them at the BACK of the parking lot. I would be willing to walk farther through the parking lot to avoid having to park in a handicapped space, or, worse yet, not being able to charge at all because the charging spots (prime spots right next to the door) are ICEd.

Totally agree. For practical reasons (less chance of a charging spot being ICEd) and for social reasons as well. It doesn't help the EV Cause if others view it as privileged.

Oh dear Lord I hope not! Those handcap spots will fill with ANY event and then no Teslas could charge at all. They should really put them at the back (SW side) of the parking lot behind the convention center. This business of making handicap spots also EV charging spots really puts two minority groups against each other, the physically disabled and the electric vehicle driving public. SUCH a bad idea.
That's not possible.

If the spots are placarded for handicapped access (the International Symbol of Access), then they are only available for vehicles placarded as such and are completely unavailable to vehicles without the placard.

Perhaps the handicapped spots will be moved to another location.

No, it's not legal for you to charge in a handicapped spot if you don't have a placard. I'm sure it's not the intent, but that's the way it is. This is covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act and state / local governments are not free to amend it.

That's not possible.

If the spots are placarded for handicapped access (the International Symbol of Access), then they are only available for vehicles placarded as such and are completely unavailable to vehicles without the placard.

Perhaps the handicapped spots will be moved to another location.

Quite a bit more to having an accessible parking space than just the designated parking "space" with a sticker and some signage.
There must also be an adjacent accessible route and its own markings/path to the adjacent building (especially is the route crosses through traffic paths), complete with curb-cuts and other elements which pertain to accessibility.

Primarily, the accessible spaces should be proximate to the building's public entry for ease of user entry (least amount of travel distance) and convenience in case of inclement weather.

The Supercharger parking spaces could be located anywhere, probably best to be close to some sort of power source for the transformer.
A trained professional with a bit of forethought and understanding of the intent of ADA/TAS should be consulted to give EVERYBODY the best possible solution.
The other reality is IF the Supercharger is really close to the building entry, it will have a higher opportunity and likely-hood to be ICE'd.
People already park in Accessible parking spaces because the rules are for the other guys.

Just taking over the existing Accessible parking spaces for use by EV charging is probably not the most appropriate action.

• Informative
Reactions: bollar
Quite a bit more to having an accessible parking space than just the designated parking "space" with a sticker and some signage.

Assuming the spot is truly "accessible" and marked as such (I assume that substantially all are, since they are designed by professionals like you), is it legal to park & charge in that spot?

The stakes are high. The fine is up to $2500 and/or 50 hours of community service.

As you probably know we have numerous pairs of Blink stations around DFW where only one charger (invariably the one in the accessible space) works, so I expect the dilemma comes up often.

PS, will we see you in Sulphur Springs tomorrow?

Update: The date on the city council note was 6/7 so after two months I decided to go have a look and see if any progress had been made. I found nothing. No roped off area or any indication of where the supercharger stalls will be. Government can move slowly at times. :D

However I did learn that the Convention Center is a Pokemon Stop as well as Richard Greene Linear Park has multiple stops. Also the Ballpark has two gyms which I couldn't access while I was driving.

Yes, it's a sickness.

I think construction should start soon! Went by today, they have already marked where the Heavy Power Lines will be going to the transformer (far right of picture by tree):

Arl1.jpg
Arl5.jpg

The white paint is where the Large Transformer concrete pad should be going:

Arl4.jpg

Then out to the Power Lines:

Arl3.jpg
Arl2.jpg

My prediction is utility dig markings happen 10 days before construction starts. We will see...

• Informative
Reactions: ggies07
supercharge.info Shows 17 sites under construction with 9 that have Permits. We also know Little Rock is under construction. I expect several other locations to be complete before Arlington gets going, but they did come and repaint. The 10 spots will stop where the white line is:

20161205_095824.jpg

The White flags (I believe) are the contractors flags, and the red paint is where the Oncor wires look like they have been re-routed:

20161205_125254.jpg

20161205_125333.jpg

I wonder how this will work for the Texas Ranger games!

Normally, to park in that lot is about $20. Will they change it if you will be using Supercharging?

Also, Elon has amended his SC policy, so that you need to move your vehicle once it has completed charging! If you are in the middle of a game and it is done, will people have to come out to move the car?

This will be interesting!

Reactions: vrykolas