Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Arlington, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're tearing out the extra wide sidewalk across the street from the handicap parking spots. Maybe they're moving them across the street, so the chargers don't have to share. That would show some forethought.
IMG_20170220_180325.jpg

The handicap spaces are right behind me as I took this picture. There is a small fenced in area with a very narrow, but 6-8 foot deep hole in the middle-distance.
IMG_20170220_180439.jpg

Some trenching going on - this trench follows the white arrow towards the transformers. Two of the conduits point towards me in the trench and four point away (towards the handicap spots).
IMG_20170220_180547.jpg

If this is too much information (too frequent), please let me know. I'm new to these forums, but excited about the progress and possibilities. Also, if there's something you'd like to see better (different angle or closer shot), let me know and I'll see what I can do.

They're tearing out the extra wide sidewalk across the street from the handicap parking spots. Maybe they're moving them across the street, so the chargers don't have to share. That would show some forethought.
View attachment 215698

The handicap spaces are right behind me as I took this picture. There is a small fenced in area with a very narrow, but 6-8 foot deep hole in the middle-distance.
View attachment 215699
Some trenching going on - this trench follows the white arrow towards the transformers. Two of the conduits point towards me in the trench and four point away (towards the handicap spots).
View attachment 215700

If this is too much information (too frequent), please let me know. I'm new to these forums, but excited about the progress and possibilities. Also, if there's something you'd like to see better (different angle or closer shot), let me know and I'll see what I can do.
I don't there is such a thing as TMI when you are supplying real data like this. And it's great that you are including transformer information (often neglected). Thanks!

Reactions: CarlS and vrykolas
OK, you asked for it. :) Today's update includes more trenching (but somehow they're leaving pipes and most of the tree roots intact? - that goes beyond my skill level.). Here you can see more trenching has been completed. I guess they're putting all of the dirt in the blue dumpsters as there is very little around the dig site. I don't know how they'll fill it back in when they're done.
IMG_20170221_174809.jpg

But they still have a long way to go (and this is only about 1/3 of the way to the existing transformers):
IMG_20170221_174851.jpg

Here it looks like they're getting ready to eventually pour a foundation with four deep posts around it. The two conduits closest to the camera turn right underground, towards the main trenching. The other four turn left, towards the parking lot:
IMG_20170221_175140.jpg

And, finally, it looks like they're about 2/3 done with breaking up the concrete for (I'm guessing) new handicap parking spaces. Surprisingly, there are no barricades around this spot:
IMG_20170221_175537.jpg

There's a lot that can happen in two days. I have a lot of pictures today, so I'll break this up into two posts. I just found out that 10 is the limit for a single post. The trench is now much longer (if you look off to the far right, you can see a pump (with hoses around it), so that follows the theory of vacuum excavation (I had to Google it to figure out what it was :) )
IMG_20170223_174517.jpg

The foundation that was framed has been poured:
IMG_20170223_174659.jpg

The large painted square in the grass near the handicap spots has been partially dug up:
IMG_20170223_174759.jpg

The extra wide sidewalk that is across from the existing handicap spaces is cleared. It even has cutouts on each end where they will probably build ramps (you can see one of them on the far right):
IMG_20170223_174858.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jrreno
Now, on to the important changes. There are some new deliveries on site. The PODs container has been there a long time - it is not new. There are five Tesla crates:
IMG_20170223_175013.jpg

Some large pipes (supports/reinforcements maybe):
IMG_20170223_174959.jpg

Five large horizontal boxes and two tall, refrigerator sized, electrical boxes (not Tesla Powerpacks):
IMG_20170223_175531.jpg

Here is the label from the four horizontal boxes:
IMG_20170223_175601.jpg

Here is a tag from one of the tall electrical boxes:
IMG_20170223_175231.jpg

I even got a picture inside one of the electrical boxes. Sorry, I'm not any kind of expert on this. All I can say is that they were mostly empty with more "stuff" at the top of the box than the bottom. Here is inside the top of the box (looking through the plastic wrap):
IMG_20170223_175339.jpg

And, finally, here is a picture inside the bottom of the tall electrical box, through the plastic wrap. As you can see - mostly empty:
IMG_20170223_175350.jpg

Last edited:
So I am guessing the concrete pad that was just poured is actually for the transformer. It is too small to house the 5 Supercharger cabinets and the distribution panels. This confused me because they usually use a preformed concrete pad.

Reactions: CarlS
If I had to guess...the five stand-up boxes are the chargers (obviously), the four lay-down boxes are probably the pedestals since they came from a plastics company. The two electrical boxes are switching and distribution/monitoring for the incoming electrical. I think you can disconnect the transformer from the mains...that's why the electrical buss bars are so big.

The only thing that puzzled me was the big hole. Because of it's size I'm gonna guess it is where the electrical distribution cabinets and the charger cabinets will go but usually they just pour a concrete pad and put them on it (unless they still have to run conduit to the pedestals) then bury it, then pour the pad. Next day off I'll go and look around just for grins.

I still wish they would have put them at the back of the parking lot, not right up front where they WILL be ICEd. I guess we'll see how good the Convention Center is at parking enforcement.

Edited to say, nice job CarlS!

I drove by the site on Saturday afternoon and there had been a little progress, but not as much as other days. The trench has been completed (or nearly so) - it now runs from the small foundation all of the way to the existing transformer boxes. The area where they're putting in new handicap spaces has a very little new rebar around 1/2 of the border. There doesn't appear to have been any more digging or placement of any equipment. So, I just have two pictures today, showing the length of the trench and the end's proximity to the existing transformer boxes.
IMG_20170225_174443.jpg

IMG_20170225_174524.jpg

We're expecting some rain this week - I don't know if that will slow down their progress.

Reactions: kash
They have used all of the conduit on site. There used to be a pile of it next to the trench, but now it is all in the trench. There's nothing in the conduit, yet.
IMG_20170302_164617.jpg

They've made minor changes to the foundation. They filled in the small hollow rectangle area and added two (copper?) posts.
IMG_20170302_164904.jpg

They're framing out the curbs of the new handicap area.
IMG_20170302_165026.jpg

Then, as I was about to leave, thinking there was nothing else interesting, I noticed that one of the tall crates had been opened. I couldn't pass that up. The front of the crate was removed and was just leaning in place. I leaned it back to take a couple pictures and then put it back. So, inside each of the five tall crates are the DC superchargers. I don't remember ever seeing these at any supercharger location (I have only been to a couple in person) and now that I've looked for them online, I believe they're usually inside a fenced area.
IMG_20170302_165210.jpg

And, of course, I got a closeup of the sticker:
IMG_20170302_165224.jpg

I didn't get a picture of it, but the 5 horizontal cardboard boxes (posted previously) contain the Tesla logo charging stands. There were cuts along the bottoms of all five boxes, so I could lift a corner and get a look inside. There are two in each box, for a total of ten, which matches previous comments of 10 charging spots.

Attachments

• IMG_20170302_164734.jpg
    IMG_20170302_164734.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20170302_165138.jpg
    IMG_20170302_165138.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: bollar and wart
Construction has stopped, here is why: A) They can't get concrete till Monday. B) They MUST finish the new Handicapped spots before digging existing Handicapped locations. C) The ADA spots will need 3 inspections; ramps, access, asphalt.

Trying to answer everyone's comments above here:

A) Why has digging stopped here? It looks like they would need to tie in with the other Transformer boxes. Answer: Oncor will connect where the 4" pipes are:

END.jpg

ONCOR END.jpg

B) What is this hole for? There is other High-Power crossing here, it had to be identified before digging. You can see the pipes going left to right:
CROSS.jpg

C) Why is this hole so large? All the Tesla equipment will go here. There are so many conduits coming in/out, it is easier to dig the

whole depth, then fill back in:
CONDUIT.jpg

D) Where did all the dirt go? The blue Dumpsters have no dirt in them. The vacuum digging has a ton of water/mud. It would have leaked out. It is stored near the field here (with Black barriers):
DIRT2.jpg

DIRT PILE.jpg

E) The pipes to the Transformer pad are NOT 36" deep near the sewer - is this a problem? Yes. The only way to fix it is to pour concrete over the sewer connections:
3FEET.jpg

F) If there was a month delay on the equipment, why is it here? Nobody can answer that. It was delivered last week.

G) When will construction continue? Concrete must be done, 3 ADA inspections, asphalt for the new Handicapped spots, then they can dig the parking lot and continue.

There is your construction update...

Thank you for your continuing updates. I'll be staying near there soon, so I was hoping this station would be done very soon, but it looks like typical "stuff" will hold things up. It sure would be nice to have it around to give me a little "driving around" charging should I need it.

The hotel where I'm staying has no charging options. It's a conference, too, so that's pretty much my choice. I'll survive! :)

Thank-you so much for your updates. This is exciting. We are going to be at the Arlington convention center end of this month. Fingers crossed that the supercharger is operational by that time.

If the supercharger is not operational, I hope to find a destination charger close by... any ideas?

Thank-you so much for your updates. This is exciting. We are going to be at the Arlington convention center end of this month. Fingers crossed that the supercharger is operational by that time.

If the supercharger is not operational, I hope to find a destination charger close by... any ideas?
Don't forget the destination charger map at the Tesla website (click on the webpage map) and the Plugshare website and phone app.(click the gear icon next to the search field to set your charging options).

A lot can happen in a week. They've filled in most of the trench - just the ends are still incomplete.

Here you can see the end that is closest to the existing transformers.
IMG_20170311_174318.jpg

Here is the small foundation near the other end of the trench. You can see the two conduits that head to the previous picture and the four that lead to the next picture.
IMG_20170311_175234.jpg

Here is the other end of the trench. This is probably where the 5 superchargers will be located. 4 conduits, but 5 superchargers.
IMG_20170311_174628.jpg

Here is a wider picture of that location. I presume they will fill most of this in with dirt before capping it off with a foundation for the superchargers.
IMG_20170311_174554.jpg

Here is the nearly complete new handicap parking area: They must have been working before the rain started today - there is one space with blue paint that was still wet at about 5:00 PM on Saturday. I count 9 new spaces.
IMG_20170311_174747.jpg

They have unpacked the 5 cardboard boxes that were here previously. When I drove by on a previous day I could see them standing up inside the PODS container.
IMG_20170311_174930.jpg

It looks like they've been working inside these boxes as the plastic has been mostly removed and the contents have changed. One of the towers is nearly completely empty, but the other one looks like this inside:
IMG_20170311_175036.jpg

Close ups:
IMG_20170311_175044.jpg

IMG_20170311_175104.jpg

They're nearly done with the new handicap spaces. Still need signs.
IMG_20170313_171007.jpg

I was mistaken about the purpose of the small foundation. Clearly it is not where the tall electrical boxes are going. It's where the transformer is going, as they've placed it on the foundation. There are no anchor bolts or much of anything done on the inside, it's just in position:
IMG_20170313_165638.jpg

Here is the incomplete meter on the side:
IMG_20170313_165608.jpg

One side was locked (bolted) shut, but here is the inside of half of the transformer. Sorry for the poor quality shot, I don't think they'd like me opening the box, so I was hurrying:
IMG_20170313_170838.jpg

The large black rings in the center had "400" in large yellow letters on the sides of them. The large black devices near the top had "300" in large yellow letters. I'm hoping someone that knows more than I do will be able to tell us what this is. :)

A lot more conduit work done today. Here are two photos from different angles if you'd like to figure out where the connections are. There is still a box of 90 degree elbows and a very large pile of straight conduits nearby (not pictured). You can see the new transformer in the background as well as the four conduits that come from it to this site. It looks like this will be where the superchargers and the two tall electrical boxes will be placed. Although they're not done with the conduit, yet, I believe that the two electrical boxes will be placed above the 4 conduits that connect to the transformer and the 3 (soon to be 5) conduits coming into this site. You can see that two of the incoming conduits on the left each have a pair of conduits on the right that lead towards the camera (and then to the parking lot).
IMG_20170313_165442.jpg
IMG_20170313_165416.jpg