TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Arlington, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by JoshM3, Oct 10, 2018.

1. JoshM3

JoshM3 Member

Tesla’s supercharger map shows a Supercharger for Arlington, VA, Clarendon, in 2018. Arlington County permits site shows an approval for Tesla Chargers on July 27, 2018 to be located in the market common garage. It’s listed under application number ZADM180559 (Administrative Change Requests - Quarterly). Any thoughts on whether these are the superchargers or just Tesla wall chargers?

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

If you read the details, it *sounds* like Superchargers. Destination Chargers don’t need all that ‘equipment’, just a 240 vac line (perhaps 3 phase if doing the commercial feed).

So, interesting. One of the ‘supercharger in a garage’ installations!

Added: looks like ten stalls since five cabinets?

• Like x 1
  3. JoshM3

JoshM3 Member

Agreed. I also thought the back-end indicated superchargers. And it looks like 10 stalls. I’ll swing by tonight to see if there’s any indication of construction.

• Like x 1
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Level 5: 3 charging cabinets
    Level 4: 5 charging cabinets

3 + 5 = 8 charging cabinets.
    8 cabinets x 2 stalls per cabinet = 16 stalls

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  5. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

6. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Great sleuthing folks!

7. JoshM3

JoshM3 Member

So ironically I live one block from the garage. Walked down there today. There is construction activity but it appears to be related to the apartments above. Signs showed the 5th level of the garage being impacted (i.e. no parking) from Aug - Oct 16. So, when that project completes, it will be interested to see if they start the next one :)

• Informative x 3
  8. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

I grew up in Arlington, so I am paying attention, I now live in Alameda, and we got our Permit half a year ago and they JUST started construction this week. Fortunately, I am now retired, so I have LOTS of time to post updates on the construction. Hope you guys get construction quicker than I did, but it may be a bit. @JoshM3 hope you get to document your new supercharger.

-Randy

9. vitaliy

vitaliy Member

Is there a fee to enter that garage?

10. Ssonic

Ssonic New Member

Yes it's super expensive too but some stores will validate.

11. paulkva

paulkva Member

After 6pm you can park there all evening for $6, or $4.95 via SpotHero -- still on the expensive side for Clarendon. Not that I'll use it to charge since I live relatively close, but I'll be interested to find out whether they offer discounts or limited free parking for people who are supercharging.

• Funny x 1
  12. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

This is great. I grew up in Arlington and now live in Springfield. I'll probably use this location exactly one time (for the Superchargers Visited thread), but it's a great option for locals who don't have access to home charging, albeit an expensive option.

13. scsmx

scsmx Member

Whole Foods will validate for 2 hours, if you use the parking entrance closest to the store.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  14. theflyer

theflyer Member

Good to know that Whole Foods will validate. That sounds like a good partnership. Charge and do some grocery shopping.

• Like x 2
  15. kris_m3

kris_m3 Member

WF validates for the parking garage under Pottery Barn. I believe this is the other parking garage near Crate and Barrel across the park.

16. scsmx

scsmx Member

Both sides are interconnected. If you use the WF entrance drive to the end and make a right it will take you through an opening on the lower level of the other side of the parking where the SC will be located.

• Helpful x 1
  17. kris_m3

kris_m3 Member

MIND BLOWN. Thanks!!! :)

18. scsmx

scsmx Member

Looks like the permit process has not move forward, it was applied for on 8/29 but no real activity since then.

19. mociaf9

mociaf9 Member

It had a comment made on it on 2018-10-30.